AVID PRO Router with Retracting ATC Rack

Post your completed retrofits for the world to see.

Moderator: cnckeith

RogDC
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

AVID PRO Router with Retracting ATC Rack

Post by RogDC »

AVID PRO 60 x 72 Router with Acorn Controller, WMPG, ClearPath Servos, CNC Depot S30C Spindle, and Retractable 11 Position ATC Rack.

I finally have the ATC maco working and was able to get 4.25" center to center tool fork spacing on the tool rack. Dual 4" hoses for dust collection , the ISO 30 Holders on either side of the spindle clear the dust shoe openings so I can accommodate up to 3 1/2" bits in the rack and clear the tool forks.
Dust Shoe Docked
Dust Shoe Docked
ATC Tool Change
ATC Tool Change
Next on the list of items is to rework my control cabinet into a larger enclosure and install the Ether1616.

The airlines coiled on the spindle are for the coolant mister and one for the air blast nozzle to blow dust off of the ISO30 Holders.

The MiniFit Jr cable is for the laser module. The coolant mister air nozzle will also double as an air assist for the laser.
cbb1962
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D2695C8301-0122180576

Re: AVID PRO Router with Retracting ATC Rack

Post by cbb1962 »

This looks really nice! I'd like to see a video of a tool change too.
Clint in NW Arkansas

The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know...
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

thanks for posting, nice looking setup! looking forward to a video clip or two..:-))
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
RogDC

Post by RogDC »

Here's a video
First part is testing the mfunc6.mac macro. I still have a few modifications to make, but will wait until after my control panel is fitted with the Ether1616 and additional relays.

Second part with the dust collection running is running a job with 3 tools making mounting brackets for the Acorn, Ether1616, and 3 relay boards for the my new control cabinet.

The tool rack is in the extended position for this video, I need to make some modifications to the dust shoe to retain it's position on the dust shoe forks when retracting.

As I am presently out of inputs on the Acorn, I had to add Dwell time for spindle up to speed and stopped. Dwell time edited out to save you from watching 10 seconds of nothing multiple times.

Racedirector

Post by Racedirector »

Awesome video, I love what you've done, looks like a highly efficient system!

Cheers
Bruce
carboncymbal
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF8A1900-10082038

Post by carboncymbal »

Looks great! Thanks for sharing! I have an ether 1616 ready for a build but don’t have the room in my panel. I am actually thinking of having it in a totally separate enclosure. I would need to run a few signal cables from the VFD to the second enclosure, but the could have things like extra contactors/relays for vacuum pumps, dust collection, etc without redesigning my current panels.

Keep up the good work!
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

Sweet setup, that is a great upgrade.
How hard was it to make the macro?
RogDC

Post by RogDC »

Thanks for all of the feedback. I have spent the last two weeks re configuring everything to a new larger control cabinet and adding an Ether1616 expansion board. I should have updated photos and video in a week or two.

Mark - I would estimate that it took me about two weeks of spare time and weekends reading the documentation, watching the videos, and deconstructing Toaster's M6 macro, Gary Campbell's m6 macro, and Centroid's macro's to determine how to modify the m6 macro for my requirements, modifying, failures, and troubleshooting. I am again modifying the macro after using it for a little bit and taking lessons learned and incorporating 'fixes' into the macro as well as expanded sensors and logic.
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Great work, love how everything just flows. Like the dust dock as well. I’m getting ready to start a new retrofit of a Biesse Rover next week and will be adding a sliding ATC rack. Mine will slide up and down basically retracting down out of the way into the frame so if I need to machine any long stock the rack won’t be in the way.

My only recommendation would be that after you pick up the dust boot and your machine moves to a designated spot before it starts back cutting you have the spindle move down in the Z axis first then it starts it’s X,Y move to the part. I would take that [ZH] move out of the PP so the X,Y move happens first. You run the risk of crashing into any clamps or hold downs with your current setup. Just my two cents but I like what you have done. :mrgreen:
RogDC

Post by RogDC »

Thanks, I've already changed the movement of ZH to go to the top of Z after changing tools and replacing the shoe, return to X-Y 0 of the WCS job.
Since the video I have rebuilt a new dust shoe ( same size with a few changes ) with front aluminum mounting plates for a mister/air nozzle and Ox Laser, installed sensors on the rack to indicate extended, retracted, and dust shoe stowed. The new dust shoe design has two air nozzles integrated on the underside of the dust shoe to clear dust from the tool holders during tool changes.

I've also enlarged my controller cabinet and added an Ether1616 and continue working on fine tuning some macros and and PLC logic in-between life events and jobs which need to get completed. I'll post an update with machine overview when everything is done on my current punch list which will probably be a month or two.