Acorn retrofit on Novakon torus pro.

Post your completed retrofits for the world to see.

Moderator: cnckeith

Steve B
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Acorn retrofit on Novakon torus pro.

Post by Steve B »

I have a Novakon NM-145 stepper (with the newer model spindle motor), and wish to upgrade away from Mach3 which is unreliable.

I have asked for a DIY quote from Centroid, but also wish to know if Upnorth and others may have modified their Novakon systems to Acorn/Centroid vs moving over to Mach4 without hardware changes.

Steve
Upnorth
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1702
CNC12: Yes

Post by Upnorth »

You will have to do some hardware changes. The good news is that the Acorn kit includes almost everything you will need. I had a Torus Pro not the NM-145 so it may be different for you. In my case I removed the Novakon break out board and the Ethernet smooth stepper. These are replaced by the parts that come with the acorn kit. You will also need to install the relay board and power supply (also in the kit) so you may need to shuffle some components around.

The only part I had to buy was a power relay that had a 24 volt coil in order to replace one that had a 12 volt coil. A good quality one was about $15 made by Omron. Took less than ten seconds to swap it out.
CivilCNC
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: will obtain
CNC12: Yes

Post by CivilCNC »

I noticed you also have the PDB option of the torus pro.

Can you post a couple of photos on how you connected your spindle control to retain all of the PDB function? I just started my centroid conversion today on my torus pro.

Thanks
Jake