Wabeco F1210 HS working fine with ACORN

Post your completed retrofits for the world to see.

Moderator: cnckeith

LorenzoRR
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Wabeco F1210 HS working fine with ACORN

Post by LorenzoRR »

Hi,

I open a new post as today I think finished the setup and "air milling" test of my Wabeco F1210 HS milling machine with ACORN.

Thanks very much Marty for the sustained help along the process. Also to other people that also helped on specific topics.

Basically:

- Three motors from StepperOnline have been integrated mechanically without big issues. There is some room for improvement but it is sufficiently OK.
- Tried to make them work with 200 KHz but they did not like. With 100 KHz all work fine.
- Wired encoder from motors using DB9 connector to enter the cabinet.
- Wired power cables from otors using aero-style connectors to enter as well.
- Finally, also used a DB9 to connect VFD and ACORN. Basically +24V comes from VFD to relay input and the controller manages CW, CCW and reset. Also 0-10V signal comes in through DB9.
- I use PVC piles to route cables from machine to cabinet; one pipe is for all encoder´s and use different one for power and another one for wswitches.
- Routing inside cabinet is also left side for all encoders and right side for all 3 power. Cables are inside corrugated flexible hose.
- Used NPN magnetic switches and use them setting input as HomeLimit. Works fine setting limits by software in ACORN from home position.
- Also modified PARK macro to leave the maching in a "centered" position to be more balanced and also closer to homing in next job.
- Created first dummy tools library with some offsets and spindle speeds here and there, and a first program facing "in the air" and all works fine.

Next some basic enclosure to prevent kind of "chips shower", and make a test piece same as Marty's checking his Fadal. That will be the final test...

After many back and forth until decision of control system, I am happy of chosing Centroid ACORN. I love the amount of professional information in form of Drawings, Schematics, Tech Bulletins, Videos, ... and the open forum to learn from other's experience. This is a success formula, IMO.

Find below some pics of the result.

Now it is time to understand ICN philosophy and trying to make some decent part. I am also very interested in creating CAM from FUSION360 for this new setup. Let's see...

Cheers !
01-Fresadora.jpg
02-Motor-X.jpg
03-Motor-Y.jpg
07-Overview.jpg
09-Entrada-cables-armario-01.jpg
10-Entrada-cables-armario-02.jpg
11-Interior-armario-01.jpg
12-Interior-armario-03.jpg
13-Interior-armario-02.jpg
Lorenzo
Prototyping with: EMCO CT60, Klipfeld K120 and Wabeco F1210HS
HFS Suspension
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Wabeco F1210 HS working fine with ACORN

Post by cnckeith »

wow, nice install! fantastic, thanks for sharing!
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Lorenzo, nice job! Can't wait to see a video of it cutting!
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
garybergin288
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by garybergin288 »

this is great im working on the same mill comverting it to cnc my question is in regards to your stepper motor mounts the factory cnc machines from wabeco used an offset stepper and pulley to drive the ballscrews i see you went direct how is that working? what size motors are you using i would much rather do a direct setup as its easier but most conversions ive seen the pulley design i have not found a good reason why though thanks