Shopbot Buddy Centroid Clearpath conversion

Post your completed retrofits for the world to see.

Moderator: cnckeith

martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Shopbot Buddy Centroid Clearpath conversion

Post by martyscncgarage »

tkbot47 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:02 pm Forgot to mention: One of the other things I did was to modify the original SB dust shoe. I essentially cut the shoe in half to remove the bottom part with the brush. I then made a custom bottom piece on my 3D printer from PETG plastic, and attach it with rare earth magnets, using the original skirt. I now can pop it off to mount a tool or clean it with no problem. The shoe is still adjustable up and down as the original design allowed. I''d be glad to share that design STL file if there's interest.
Tom
Pictures are worth a thousand words! Yes, upload the .stl file with the pictures.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
tkbot47
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: haven't installed CNC12 yet
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by tkbot47 »

martyscncgarage wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:58 pm Tom, what have you noticed or perceived the improvements to be moving to Centroid?
1. Zero comm errors compared to the original USB 2.0 communications
2. Greater achievable cutting and jogging speed without issue, although some of that is from the Clearpath servos as well. Like I said before, I can shake the machine if I go too fast or accel/decel too fast now with no missed steps or errors
3. Tighter position control since I can now run at 400KHz with Acorn - the original was less than 100KHz
4. Greater cutting power with the Clearpaths
5. Obvious greater programming flexibility and compatibility using the Centroid Gcode. I use Aspire for 2.5 and 3D routing on the SB, VisualCadCam for Milling/Lathe, and DeskProto for 4th axis rotational carving on the SB, and they all have very good PostProcessors for Centroid.
6. The Centroid MPG wireless remote is miles better than the wired panel I had to use
7. The capability to use Intercon for simple parts in conjunction with cadcam for more complicated parts

Almost forgot - the support on this forum for folks like me taking on a project of this magnitude is nothing short of excellent!

Those are just a few......I'm sure I could think of more given time
Tom
tkbot47
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: haven't installed CNC12 yet
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by tkbot47 »

martyscncgarage wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:09 pm
tkbot47 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:02 pm Forgot to mention: One of the other things I did was to modify the original SB dust shoe. I essentially cut the shoe in half to remove the bottom part with the brush. I then made a custom bottom piece on my 3D printer from PETG plastic, and attach it with rare earth magnets, using the original skirt. I now can pop it off to mount a tool or clean it with no problem. The shoe is still adjustable up and down as the original design allowed. I''d be glad to share that design STL file if there's interest.
Tom
Pictures are worth a thousand words! Yes, upload the .stl file with the pictures.
Marty
OK, I'll get some pics and do that on the regular forum page. I used the Prusa Mk3S printer, that just barely had the 9.75" print dimension in one direction that was needed. You'll need every bit of that if you need a print skirt or border.
Tom
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

tkbot47 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:13 pm
martyscncgarage wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:58 pm Tom, what have you noticed or perceived the improvements to be moving to Centroid?
1. Zero comm errors compared to the original USB 2.0 communications
2. Greater achievable cutting and jogging speed without issue, although some of that is from the Clearpath servos as well. Like I said before, I can shake the machine if I go too fast or accel/decel too fast now with no missed steps or errors
3. Tighter position control since I can now run at 400KHz with Acorn - the original was less than 100KHz
4. Greater cutting power with the Clearpaths
5. Obvious greater programming flexibility and compatibility using the Centroid Gcode. I use Aspire for 2.5 and 3D routing on the SB, VisualCadCam for Milling/Lathe, and DeskProto for 4th axis rotational carving on the SB, and they all have very good PostProcessors for Centroid.
6. The Centroid MPG wireless remote is miles better than the wired panel I had to use
7. The capability to use Intercon for simple parts in conjunction with cadcam for more complicated parts

Almost forgot - the support on this forum for folks like me taking on a project of this magnitude is nothing short of excellent!

Those are just a few......I'm sure I could think of more given time
Tom
thanks for posting!
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html