Shopbot Desktop conversion

Post your completed retrofits for the world to see.

Moderator: cnckeith

Tlempicke
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Shopbot Desktop conversion

Post by Tlempicke »

Last year I upgraded my Shopbot Buddy to the Acorn control system. It was so successful that I decided to upgrade my other machine, a 24X18 Desktop.

The desktop has all of the control boards built in to the back of it and covered with a plastic piece that shields everything from dust, etc. I wanted to do as little work on the frame as possible and I also wanted to retain the power supply and motors. A Leadshine MX-3660 replaced the control board and then using a 6 foot DB-25 cable I put the new electronics in a plexi case that I got from automation direct.

The first picture shows the old computer board on the back of the machine. The second picture shows the MX-3660 in it’s place. The rig is all wired up and works just fine. What remains to be done is to dress the wiring and put the finishing touches on.
The third picture shows the wiring inside the control box and the final picture shows how it sits in relation to the machine.
The DB-25 cable made the wiring quick and easy and also kept everything pretty neat for me.

All in all this was an easier project than I expected. The fact that I did the other machine last year meant that I had my notes and experience to do the whole thing in about 20 hours.
Coming shortly will be a video showing the machine in operation.
shopbot board.jpg
Pic2.jpeg
Pic3.jpeg
ic4.jpeg
Gary Campbell
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No