Acorn Atc on a CRP4896

Post your completed retrofits for the world to see.

Moderator: cnckeith

KMD
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Acorn Atc on a CRP4896

Post by KMD »

About 4 weeks a go my apollo 1 mach motion board retired. I wanted to stay with mach because i had just invested in an atc screen set for my dust boot drop off system. I ordered a board from cnc4pc only to have it short out before putting it in my control box. After 2 attempts it still did not work and to the best of my knowledge their was nothing wrong with my machine and i had followed all procedures as outlined

I had been looking at centroid for a long time and could not believe the wealth of information they had and the people on the forum had great knowledge and willing to share. I sent an email to centroid about an acorn and told them i needed it fast as i use my machine in my cabinet shop and it had been down several weeks. With in an hour i had a tracking number and it was on its way.

Im not a computer programmer. I was concerned about being able to get it working with the atc. With pre written macros on the forum and some input from others I was able to have most of the macros complete and ready to install before the board got here. Its been a real learning curve but it is simple to do and follow the screens. It seamed theat every concern I had was covered in a video on you tube.

I added a coupke videos of it surfacing at 850ipm with a 2.5 inch cutter and a tool change with a dust boot drop off. My tool changes are 35 to 40 seconds down from around 50 to70 seconds and the surfacing is smooth and chatter free. I did a 95 inch panel and attached a picture. It will be interesting to see the full cut quality but it feels like the deceleration on corners are doing a better job and I I have fewer chipps on the edges compared to what I had before.

If i was to go back and do it all over again i would of installed the acorn first. The company has been around for a long time and are committed to a quality product and satisfied customers!

I went with the Wireless Mpg I was worried about useing it on a 8 foot table but now that I have it man do I like it. Able to fine tune with it compared to the old xbox controller I had in mach You dont have to run back to the computer to check what position you are at its right on the display.

Thanks everyone that helped me get up and running Im looking forward to many years of success with My Centroid Acorn!!!!!

850ipm surfaceing

Dust shoe drop off

Im one happy customer!!!

Thanks
Kirk
slodat

Re: Acorn Atc on a CRP4896

Post by slodat »

Kirk - looks great! Do you mind sharing your m6 macro and any other code you had to use to get the ATC working?
KMD

Post by KMD »

slodat wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:15 pm Kirk - looks great! Do you mind sharing your m6 macro and any other code you had to use to get the ATC working?
Let me get some run time on it first and finish up the tweaking. It is just the macro from the forum with g code added to make the moves. I have set up outputs for the open and close the draw bar and the blast air to clean the cone of the tool. I working on make it work with paramiters so you can enter the tool positions load, safe plane etc in the paramiters then If something changes you dont have to rewrite the macro. that could take a bit as it has a whole new learning curve to it.
Dan M
CNC Control System Serial Number: C8df84dfbdd5-0809181120
CNC11: Yes

Post by Dan M »

Hey Kirk I was the one asking questions on your YouTube channel. I just wanted to see some pictures of the spindle up close and any info on how the ATC is wired up, pictures would be great. Just trying to get a idea of how involved it would be since I've been looking at that same spindle. Any pics of the install would be fantastic.

Thanks,
Dan