Upgraded Router Finished: Pictures + Videos

Post your completed retrofits for the world to see.

Moderator: cnckeith

kbmyers
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 74E1829FD6EF-0110191529
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Upgraded Router Finished: Pictures + Videos

Post by kbmyers »

Thanks to everyone who provided assistance with my Clearpath servos and the Acorn controller. If you missed that thread, the short version is that the Teknic auto-tune program wasn't working well for my system, and with their great customer support we manually tuned the motors.

So here is the mostly completed project. It started life as a set of instructions for a KRMx02 CNC router but was heavily modified. It originally used stepper motors and a G540 controller. The plans called for a woodworking router but I modified it for a liquid cooled 24k spindle.
20190909_160509863_iOS.jpg
Modest 50"x50" size to fit my shop. I primarily use this for wood, plastics or foam, but now I should be able to handle some aluminum sheet since I added a FogBuster misting unit.

Using a Dell all-in-one touchscreen computer. I love being able to run Fusion 360 right at the machine.
20190909_160551566_iOS.jpg
Completed wiring cabinet. Lots of work went into keeping this clean and separating the high voltage from the low voltage
20190909_160600383_iOS.jpg
Starting with the Centroid .DWG files, we created a drawing package for every wire in the cabinet. I'll admit I used this as a training exercise for an intern since we need to document other projects in a similar fashion

Air cut video with a circular tool path. Running about 950ipm. Not a realistic cut speed, but nice to see it working smoothly.

Second video with a rectangular tool path @ 750ipm. Not sure if my dust collection system would be able to keep up, but I like that it isn't shaking the table too much. I'll probably reduce everything a bit more before I start on any real cuts.

20190909_161411401_iOS (2).jpg
Backside picture showing the steel frame. Note the sandbags and heavy item storage underneath. The machine has a fair amount of mass, but I still don't confuse it with a heavy duty machine.

Next project is a couple of pull-out drawers for under the front of the table for keyboard and mouse storage. After that I'll dive into the details on swissi's post processor for Fusion. Fun stuff!

Thanks,
Kent