11x26 Import Lathe Conversion to Acorn

Post your completed retrofits for the world to see.

Moderator: cnckeith

DanielCA92563
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: 11x26 Import Lathe Conversion to Acorn

Post by DanielCA92563 »

Steve,
Thank you for sharing, amazing. I'm about to get started on an import 10x22 lathe conversion (G0602), was wondering a few things if you dont mind.
1. Did you use angular bearing blocks on both ends of the ballscrews (for x and z)?
2. At the bearing block ends of the ballscrews, how did you have them machined? Thread-bearingsurface-Thread? so that you fix the ballscrew end to the bearing block.
Chai from linearmotionbearings2008 is asking how I need the ends machined.
Any advice is appreciated, Best.
Daniel
jumps4
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38d2697ca033-0611180974 mpu12
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: 11x26 Import Lathe Conversion to Acorn

Post by jumps4 »

Hello Daniel
The Z ball screw has the standard angular contact bearing and the tail stock end is the floating bearing that come with the screws. The Angular contact bearing that you get with the screw are not preloaded and will have backlash. Remove the bearing races and install a very very thin shim in between the races to add preload. Once shimmed the nut that comes will adjust all the backlash out. Take great care to ensure the floating end is machined dead center or you see a pattern in the work when cutting introduced by the screw wobbling.
You can machine the floating end yourself if you heat it to cherry red for the last inch and let it slowly cool to anneal it.
Do the same thing on the X angular bearing to take up backlash. X has no floating bearing just the angular contact but I had to cutoff part of the 12mm ball nut to get it under the cross slide.
Steve
No Brains, No Headaches...