Daewoo Puma 6 with Acorn/DYN4

Post your completed retrofits for the world to see.

Moderator: cnckeith

eflor8234
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Daewoo Puma 6 with Acorn/DYN4

Post by eflor8234 »

I finally have this machine up and running. This past December it went down with a bad EPROM, it had manufacturer specific data on the chip and Daewoo wanted $8,000 for replacement parts. Not what I wanted to hear...

First decision- keep the ATC or get rid of it? I really wish there would have been a way for me to keep it in service but I use the machine in my business and needed it making parts. Since my parts are short lengths, gang tooling is an option. I'm not experienced with macros and this turret was controlled by a hydraulic motor, a ton of contact sensors, and an encoder. Not a challenge I was interested in facing.

I have a 3-axis CNC router that runs Mach3 as the controller and Gecko 320's to drive the Fanuc 5m servos. I figured I'd do the same with the lathe since it was running Fanuc DC servos. It worked..on occasion. I'd regularly lose communication with the smoothstepper and spindle control was a pain. After a lot of troubleshooting and parts replacing, I went a new route. I got an Acorn and DMM DYN4 1kw AC servos.

I really like how thorough the Centroid schematics are and Marty has some great videos on getting this setup (DYN4 to Acorn) up and running. Once I had all the parts, it didn't take more than a couple days to have the machine running reliably. Any questions I had were answered on the forum within a day or two.

Machine Specs-
Daewoo Puma 6
10hp spindle motor with Delta VFD-B
Hydraulic chuck (great for programming a bar puller)
Hydraulic tailstock

Next project will be getting a Sharnoa VMC running with an OAK board. It runs Siemens 611 AC servo drives and has an ATC. Sharnoa doesn't operate in the states anymore and has never responded to any emails I've sent. I don't have schematics for the machine so I expect it to be a long term project... It works but the controller (Tiger 7) doesn't run standard ISO g-code and the lack of support is a worry. We will see how it goes.
Attachments
IMG_9629.jpg
IMG_8534.jpg
IMG_1390.jpg
IMG_1342.jpg
IMG_1246.jpg
IMG_1420.jpg
IMG_1419.jpg
IMG_1403.jpg
Wolfenstien
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: Yes

Re: Daewoo Puma 6 with Acorn/DYN4

Post by Wolfenstien »

If kept the ATC you may be able to make it work down the road with the I/o expansion board that's coming. (Worth hanging onto)

I recently did a mori SL1H with an oak and dyn4. Really wanted to go acorn, but couldn't come up with the I/o.

I've got an SL2b I'm considering pulling the turret and using a cqtp in its place. (Main problem being that by the time I get the ATC off, buy a tool post and get the rest of the components needed fabbed up I'm going to be approaching the time and money investment to get the atc working.

I had the wiring diagrams and another conversion to reference so all in all not to bad. When it came time to hook up the atc I had it working in 1 long evening. Not bad if you have the information on hand.

Really glad to see someone else tried using the acorn with an industrial machine. Lots of cool projects on small machine which are slick for those who need small form due to space constrains, but honestly these monster industrial machines can often be had for scrap prices. Giving them a new brain makes them so much easier to use and the mechanical components are on an order of magnitude better than anything your likely to build from a manual machine.
Wolfenstien
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by Wolfenstien »

Can you comment on Axis speed, surface finishes, tolerances, etc on new control vs old control?
eflor8234
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC12: Yes

Post by eflor8234 »

Wolfenstien wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:17 pm Can you comment on Axis speed, surface finishes, tolerances, etc on new control vs old control?
Sorry, just saw that you posted this question.

Here is my answer:

Axis Speed
I left the machine setup to run 75ipm max. I'm sure it'll run faster but I make parts for my own products and don't need the machine running as fast as the original setup.

Surface Finish
I've been happy with the surface finish on my parts. There are follow on operations after the lathe so this is an area I'm not too concerned about.

Tolerance
I am very happy with the consistency of the machine. I'll use a bar puller to run 100's of the same part. Part number one specs out the same as the last part. If I get into another lathe project, this is the route I'll go.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Thanks for posting your success story!

please be careful with children and anyone with long hair around any machine tool. please consider adding a door safety interlock and adding warning stickers to the machine tool such as this one. https://www.safetysign.com/products/637 ... l?s=sk1hgm
safetysticker.png
safetysticker.png (9.61 KiB) Viewed 3673 times
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html