Milltronics to Centroid Control Upgrade

Post your completed retrofits for the world to see.

Moderator: cnckeith

martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Milltronics to Centroid Control Upgrade

Post by martyscncgarage »

ghack wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:53 am Reason i ask is i have a partner 2 very similar. i converted back in 03 with the servo3io so its almost 16 years old now and cant update past cnc10 linux v 2.36. its the old ISA slot cnc 7 board. so i think mine is way older.
You can use your existing servos, consider buying an All in One DC and do the upgrade, you'll be running under Windows 10 and have an upgrade path.
What software unlocks do you have? Centroid will allow you to trade in your motion controller and transfer your unlocks. If you don't have any premium unlocks, then perhaps its better to sell your montion controller and DCIO3 together as an assembly to help offset your cost.

Just create a report and print out your settings for reference. Doing the AIO DC upgrade will not be too difficult for you since you've done it.
I know you have to justify the expense, but I would strongly consider the upgrade.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
ghack
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No

Post by ghack »

ya what do they offer for trade in? how are you liking the acorn setups. not sur what im going to do i dont remember unlocks other than rigid tapping.
martyscncgarage

ghack wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:41 am ya what do they offer for trade in? how are you liking the acorn setups. not sur what im going to do i dont remember unlocks other than rigid tapping.
You should call Centroid with your serial number. Talk to them about it. If you have rigid tapping and use it, then it might be worthwile trading in your motion controller. I know if you do, then you will get your software unlocks.

From the Utility Menu, OPTIONS will tell you what unlocks you have. Take a picture of that screen and post here.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
converterking

Post by converterking »

https://www.amazon.com/YAYKON-YH-945A6- ... D49SR65M21 I wonder if this motherboard would work? Buy a used e8400 processor for $20 and you wouldn't have any problems running newer software.
rl49
CNC Control System Serial Number: K2019,K1110

Post by rl49 »

With an ISA CPU7 motion control card 2.38 may work but nothing higher per Dos to Linux TB167.

I went down this path with a M60 I have, could only upgrade to 2.36 and went thru 3 old stock motherboards before finding one that cnc10 linux would work with.

I doubt it would work with a new chipset motherboard, that why Centroid went with CNC 11 and windows for hardware compatibility.
martyscncgarage

rl49 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:23 pm With an ISA CPU7 motion control card 2.38 may work but nothing higher per Dos to Linux TB167.

I went down this path with a M60 I have, could only upgrade to 2.36 and went thru 3 old stock motherboards before finding one that cnc10 linux would work with.

I doubt it would work with a new chipset motherboard, that why Centroid went with CNC 11 and windows for hardware compatibility.
Exactly. Linux seems temperamental with certain hardware. All the more reason to consider upgrade the control

This thread got inadvertently hi-jacked. It was about the conversion we just did to the Milltronics Mill over the course of a weeked (actual conversion work, more or less) :D
Mesa, AZ
rl49
CNC Control System Serial Number: K2019,K1110

Post by rl49 »

I agree Marty, My apologies is I contributed to the hijack I have 1 milltronics mill and a Hass vfo that I am considering a upgrade to Centroid as I have a
Ts400 lathe that I have been using for 10 years and does every thing my son and I need.

As I replied to Brian in the milltronics Forum I would not hesitate to go the all in one Dc path if the software options cost were close to the Acorn Ultimate cost.

Reduce the options cost and I think that Centroid would have many more Dc all in one and Oak conversions
ghack
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC12: No

Post by ghack »

I apologize Marty for the hi jack it wasn't my intention, which was to find out how you got cnc12 on an old control. but its not that old lol. I just read that thread linked to cnczone.
FYI, I AM running cnc10 linux v2.36! but you cant go any farther. I will say that whether dos or linux it was a little quirky until a friend ( automation guy) gave me an intel mother board and its been rock solid since and i use a ssdd. i have probably had 5-6 motherboards in it. AND YES if centroid would lower option cost they would sell way more stuff. OK. i turn it back over to Marty. I bow out of the thread.
Last edited by ghack on Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
martyscncgarage

ghack wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:42 am I apologize Marty for the hi jack it wasn't my intention, which was to find out how you got cnc12 on an old control. but its not that old lol.
No its not that old. It is their All in One DC. The All in One DC's run CNC11/12
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

rl49 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:44 pm I agree Marty, My apologies is I contributed to the hijack I have 1 milltronics mill and a Hass vfo that I am considering a upgrade to Centroid as I have a
Ts400 lathe that I have been using for 10 years and does every thing my son and I need.

As I replied to Brian in the milltronics Forum I would not hesitate to go the all in one Dc path if the software options cost were close to the Acorn Ultimate cost.

Reduce the options cost and I think that Centroid would have many more Dc all in one and Oak conversions
I disagree. With your pricing logic.
You can't expect a company to engineer, build and support the caliber of motion controller that is capable of driving your machines reliably.

All in One has 3 axis worth of DC Brush Servo drives ON IT. Have you priced 3 DC Servo Drives alone?
You also need to have the basic electrical/electronic ability to install them correctly and safely. If you can follow schematics, then you are part way there. But the complexities of machines with tool changers add another level of complexity that DIYers don't consider. Not in just the wiring, but also setting up the PLC (Programmable Logic Controller) to handle those tool changing functions in the proper sequence.

Marty
Mesa, AZ