Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: G0678 CNC Conversion Thread

Post by martyscncgarage »

Very nice Dave! Thanks for the quickie video. Very elegant and professional. You could make a cover to cover the coupler if one wanted.

I fixed your post so it shows the YouTube preview.
You can go in edit and you can see how its done.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Dave_C
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Dave_C »

Marty,

Thanks for the preview fix. I see what you did! :P

Actually what I have in mind is a tool plate that fits all the way up to the end of the mount at the end of the table. That way it will cover the coupling and the motor.

That will come later once I get the Z axis all done. (motors shipped today, Yea)

Dave C,
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Progress Report:

The Clearpath motors came in yesterday and I got two of them mounted. I still need the trim washers under the bolts but this is how it mounts. Today I will start the tuning process on the Y axis. The X axis will have to wait until I get the right coupler. I had ordered a 30 size coupler and it is too short. I ordered the next larger size last night. (40 MM size)

You'll notice the green chip catcher pan looks like it will hit the Y axis motor if I lower the knee all the way down. Well yes it would but the front part of that green tray comes out. It was made that way by Grizzly but Grizzly installed it with the removable part at the back. I just turned it around!
X axis Motor
X axis Motor
And the Y axis motor is mounted below the knee to keep it out of the way. There will be a belt guard on the font to cover the belt and pulleys.

Y axis Motor
Y axis Motor
Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Progress report:

AKA, What the heck is going on now!

Can someone tell me why the wizard "says axis number one home OK" for input one (or something like that) but input one is not the X axis?

In my wizard the axis are set as #1 is X #2 is Y and that is all for now....

So after tuning my servos I power up, load CNC 12, test each limit switch before I try to home the machine and guess what? X and Y are backward. So I change the wiring, push the switches and hit cycle start. Both axis home to the switch, back off and we are ready to go.

So why does it assign input #1 to the Y axis and input #2 to the X axis?

Other than that, I have two axis working properly. (Or did the grimlins get in last night and change something around. LOL) I actually rang out the wiring on these switches to make sure and X is input 2 and Y is input 1.

Report attached.

Dave C.

Ok, Edited 2/8/18 17:57 CST. Someone set out the grimline traps! :oops: I had a wire with the wrong number on it. I took it apart and re-ran the wires and corrected the label.

Problem solved!
Attachments
report_985DAD490575-1006170161_2018-02-08_15-13-48.zip
(149.88 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

New Issue:

If I hook up the HLFB terminals to the "Drive Ok" input, Acorn will not boot! [ when I say won't boot, the heartbeat light is on but CNC12 says it is not communicating]If I unhook the HLFB from each drive and just add a jumper wire to complete the circuit then Acorn starts just fine.

Rapids are running at 150 IPM, slow jog is 10 IPM and fast jog is set at 150 IPM. All good on moves and correct direction.

I have the two clearpath motors set to "servo On" for the HLFB. Should it be something else? If so what for a NC loop from the VFD, X axis, Y axis and eventually the Z axis.

(Wired just like the Centroid diagram, all 8 wires)

Other than that, this is going great.

Dave C.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Testing this morning:

If I remove the HLFB (high level feed back) of the two servos from the "drive OK" input everything communicates just fine. I can leave the drive fault relay to my VFD in the circuit as it is a dry contact (according to the drive manual) and I have no startup issues and no faults. Machine homes out as it should and everything is 100%.

I wired the HLFB's just like the Centroid diagram taking Com to the last servo's red wire, then the matching green wire to the next red and so on making a series loop ending up with the last green wire going to the "Drive Ok" input #5.

So anyone have any idea what is wrong?

For now I'm just leaving them out of the circuit.

What I have not tried yet is to take the VFD out of the circuit and try just the servo HLFB's wired in. Maybe I should try that next.

Dave C.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

Dave_C wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:41 am Testing this morning:

If I remove the HLFB (high level feed back) of the two servos from the "drive OK" input everything communicates just fine. I can leave the drive fault relay to my VFD in the circuit as it is a dry contact (according to the drive manual) and I have no startup issues and no faults. Machine homes out as it should and everything is 100%.

I wired the HLFB's just like the Centroid diagram taking Com to the last servo's red wire, then the matching green wire to the next red and so on making a series loop ending up with the last green wire going to the "Drive Ok" input #5.

So anyone have any idea what is wrong?

For now I'm just leaving them out of the circuit.

What I have not tried yet is to take the VFD out of the circuit and try just the servo HLFB's wired in. Maybe I should try that next.

Dave C.
Do you need to invert the drive ok circuit perhaps? NC to NO or vice versa?
You can and should use a different input for VFD Spindle OK

Just a suggestion...
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Do you need to invert the drive ok circuit perhaps? NC to NO or vice versa?
You can and should use a different input for VFD Spindle OK
NC is the way I have it set up. I was not aware that I could do a separate "Drive OK" and a "Spindle OK" but I see that is a possible selection for the inputs.

So I'll get that done right after lunch and see how that works. :)

Dave C.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Problem solved:

By adding the Spindle Ok to another input I was able to separate the servo's off to their own input.

Everything is happy in Acorn land!

Now on to putting the Servo on the Z axis. I am going to do a temp solution for now so I can get on to the spindle encoder as quickly as possible. I'll re-think the Z axis at a later time, or not if this temp solution works well enough. I know it will have some backlash but I can deal with that for now.

I've got most of my spindle encoder bracket made already!

BTW, thanks Marty for letting me know about the separate inputs for spindle and the servo alarms. That is not obvious from looking at the drawings. (well not to me anyway)

Dave C.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

👍