Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: B0D5CC470A8C-1206170339
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Acorn wont take flash no heart beat when on board

Post by transmon »

Hi I am having trouble with my DIY acorn board have had everything running fine for two weeks now made lots of parts , a few days ago I noticed that when I turned everything on that the controller wouldn't connect I am running on dedicated gigabyte with solid state drive 8 gigs ram no internet, Acorn is power with supply supplied with the Acorn and 4 lead-shine with 36v so I powered everything down and back up and she worked fine. then every time I went to use the machine would turn on I would have to power cycle the machine to get the heartbeat light to blink I have checked with meter for power where they said next to the spindle encoder connection I have 0. my 5 volts for my lead-shines come from computer USB and doesn't come on until I power up the computer I power up my Acorn first then my 36v power then computer. today when I cycled the power it worked on about the 5th try I ran my parts and all was fine this afternoon I went to turn it on I cant get heart beat at all so checked the forms and said it may be bricked This doesn't make sense because I haven't opened the wizard or ran any updates, the last thing I did was a few days ago I saved my configuration data within CNC12 to a file. So as per the forum I thought It might be bricked so tried to flash the Beagle-bone Green as per the video when I hold down the button it never takes the program tried 3 different Micro Sd cards formatted them and copied the files on two different computers .When I would hold the user button down and connect the 5v micro usb the four lights would never blink . then I noticed with the Beagle board off of the Acorn board the Heart beat Light was blinking ??? tried to reassemble everything and unplugged everything from the board only 24v connected to the Acorn board still no heartbeat so hope someone can help me I don't understand what went wrong ? Sorry no Pics camera on phone doesn't work !!! story of my LIFE. Thanks David
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Acorn wont take flash no heart beat when on board

Post by martyscncgarage »

transmon wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:38 am Hi I am having trouble with my DIY acorn board have had everything running fine for two weeks now made lots of parts , a few days ago I noticed that when I turned everything on that the controller wouldn't connect I am running on dedicated gigabyte with solid state drive 8 gigs ram no internet, Acorn is power with supply supplied with the Acorn and 4 lead-shine with 36v so I powered everything down and back up and she worked fine. then every time I went to use the machine would turn on I would have to power cycle the machine to get the heartbeat light to blink I have checked with meter for power where they said next to the spindle encoder connection I have 0. my 5 volts for my lead-shines come from computer USB and doesn't come on until I power up the computer I power up my Acorn first then my 36v power then computer. today when I cycled the power it worked on about the 5th try I ran my parts and all was fine this afternoon I went to turn it on I cant get heart beat at all so checked the forms and said it may be bricked This doesn't make sense because I haven't opened the wizard or ran any updates, the last thing I did was a few days ago I saved my configuration data within CNC12 to a file. So as per the forum I thought It might be bricked so tried to flash the Beagle-bone Green as per the video when I hold down the button it never takes the program tried 3 different Micro Sd cards formatted them and copied the files on two different computers .When I would hold the user button down and connect the 5v micro usb the four lights would never blink . then I noticed with the Beagle board off of the Acorn board the Heart beat Light was blinking ??? tried to reassemble everything and unplugged everything from the board only 24v connected to the Acorn board still no heartbeat so hope someone can help me I don't understand what went wrong ? Sorry no Pics camera on phone doesn't work !!! story of my LIFE. Thanks David

STOP. If Beaglebone green has heartbeat don't try and flash it!
Please disconnect your step/dir/enable signals from the drive (if you have Acorn 3 with removable terminal blocks just unplug them) if you have non removeable terminal blocks you will have to disconnect those signals from all three axis. See if Acorn powers up and you get the heart beat consistently first.
Report back.

Please post a report and please post which schematic you used. If you are using Leadshine drives are you powering them with a SEPARATE power supply or a power supply like the Meanwell with dual outputs?

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
transmon

Post by transmon »

Tried that the board is only connected to the 24v power supply, what it does is power light comes on but no heartbeat , so tried re flash on beagle board by its self and it wont take the flash as you hold the user button in with micro SD card fully inserted then while holding the button plug the micro USB cable in , you are supposed to get the four lights blinking mine does nothing!!! but if you just plug the USB in the beagle boots and heart beat light blinks once a second, then if you put the beagle back on the main board by its self nothing hooked up then just connect the 24v power light comes on no heartbeat its like something on the main board is stopping the beagle from booting up ????? its the "Great Beagle Bone Mystery" this machine was running flawless , the only thing connected two the board eight wires to lead-shine step and direction , three wires for limit switches and an E=stop plus the one 24v jumper for the inputs and Ethernet, well thanks guys for listening and stay tuned for another episode of the "Great Beagle Bone Mystery "
transmon

Post by transmon »

Thanks Marty !!! I think I have seen all your videos at least 10 times each you do a great JOB !!! Keep them coming !!!!
martyscncgarage

You followed my Debricking video exactly?
https://youtu.be/x7Wk6ocPfwY
Mesa, AZ
eng199
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by eng199 »

See if the 5V regulator is working.
*Measure from D2 pin 2 to COM as shown in the document at:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1470
*Plug in ACORN +24VDC and COM, but nothing else
*D2 pin 2 measurement should be 5V
transmon

Post by transmon »

Hi yep tried all that my five volts is turned on after my Acorn did all this no help board will not boot by itself only the Beagle Bone will I think something went south and is not coming back ever !!! D2 pin 2 =0 volts this bord will no boot all by itself. something is shutting down the Beagle Bone when it is connected to the main board and will not take a reflash followed Marty's instructions to the letter!! Thanks to all
eng199

Post by eng199 »

transmon wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:37 pm Hi yep tried all that
I don't think you tried it at all. The point was to see if the internal regulator is still working.
martyscncgarage

eng199 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:35 am
transmon wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:37 pm Hi yep tried all that
I don't think you tried it at all. The point was to see if the internal regulator is still working.
He did say D2=0V:
"Hi yep tried all that my five volts is turned on after my Acorn did all this no help board will not boot by itself only the Beagle Bone will I think something went south and is not coming back ever !!! D2 pin 2 =0 volts this bord will no boot all by itself. something is shutting down the Beagle Bone when it is connected to the main board and will not take a reflash followed Marty's instructions to the letter!! Thanks to all"

Would you like him to double check it?
Marty
Mesa, AZ
eng199

Post by eng199 »

Let me try to clarify the instructions:

See if the 5V regulator is working:
*Locate D2 pin 2. See the photograph on page 2 in the document linked to this post: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1470.
*Plug in ACORN +24VDC and COM, but nothing else
*Measure from D2 pin 2 to COM. The measurement should be 5V.

There is no need to repeat the procedure in the document.

Marty, can you say with any confidence that "D2=0V" was the result of the procedure given previously? Troubleshooting on speculation is not productive.

transmon is getting an RMA to return his ACORN, so he may not even return to this thread.