Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Gang Tooling with a Few Twists

Post by Gary Campbell »

Hey Guys, Newbie here. I have just purchased an Acorn system to implement on a DOA Boxford Duet. Intended use is for cutting and boring of acrylic and wood blanks for game call components.

This unit has a 6 tool rack that has 3 tools on each side of the centerline, tools 3 thru 6 approaching the blank from the operator side and tools 1 thru 3 approaching from the opposite side. Add in that there is a shaft mounted drill chuck that slides in an locks into a )barely noticeable) 15mm receiver just below the tool 1 and 4 level. (see picture below)

So along with the complication of the opposing side tooling, using all tools will require will require Y motion to move the rack vertically AND reversing the motor. Based on what you know about the Control, which of these will actually be able to be done?
Boxford Tool Rack.jpg
On another note, I have purchased the "Pro Lathe" software along with my Acorn. Is that a download, license file, etc.? How do I acquire and install? I have nothing other than a receipt.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
Centroid_Liviu
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Gang Tooling with a Few Twists

Post by Centroid_Liviu »

The License File and Instructions are emailed along with the Invoice when the order ships. If you didn't receive it for some reason let me know and I will have it sent out again.
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. https://www.viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)
Gary Campbell
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by Gary Campbell »

Liviu...
Got it. Thanks for the excellent service.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
Gary Campbell

Post by Gary Campbell »

With my Grizzly lathe up and running, I am ready to use my second (of 3) Acorn board to get this lathe working. The idea behind it is to set it up with 3 tools out of the original 6 and turn it into a small wood lathe geared towards game call makers.

I would like to use all 6 tools, but since 3 of them would access from front (operator) and the other 3 would access from the rear the coding requirements are beyond my abilities. That said, the 2 call makers I am in contact with that show an interest in the outcome say that 3 tools may be one more than they usually use anyway.

My current issue is a discrepancy between posted information and I am looking for clarification from those in the know. According the videos shown, for example the pawn file (screenshot below) and in the Intercon manual, section 8, page 21, "F6 - Profile", to insert a pre-drawn profile, simply press "F6". Neither seems to be accurate with current CNC12 software. I believe I read something pertaining to this, but my search terms did not return the correct thread(s).

Am I correct in thinking that in spite of all the videos showing the pawn profile and its cutting in numerous videos that this feature, in reality does not exist in current software? That there is no way to generate a similar profile and/or toolpath it with lathe tooling (approaches, etc) in mind? I know that none of the Vectric products will get anywhere near this, and I have heard that Fusion 360 has some viability, but see no evidence whatsoever that Fusion would be able to toolpath profile lathe cutting similar to the Pawn videos. Can someone steer me straight?
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
tblough
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

On the Acorn, Centroid no longer supports DXF import for good reasons. Others are currently working on (and nearing completion) of a Fusion 360 lathe post processor. However, the pawn program was done completely in Intercon. The pawn is actually a fairly simple lathe program - check out Chapter 9 in the lathe operator's manual - viewtopic.php?f=20&t=76. The Press F6 to insert a profile is just the start of the profile. You then need to create it using lines and arcs. Once you draw the profile, the controller will create the roughing and finish passes for you.

As far as using all six tools in your lathe check this out - viewtopic.php?f=20&t=61&p=266&hilit=rear+tooling#p266
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
Gary Campbell

Post by Gary Campbell »

Tom...
Thanks for the reply. I will get farther into Intercon as I progress, but for right now I need to get rid of the taste of tongue blood due to biting my tongue over the one feature I purchased Acorn and lathe pro for, which was to apply intuitive lathe toolpaths to existing game call profiles.

You say: "No longer support....for good reasons", but offer no explanation. If the reference to Fusion 360 was the reason, then I am sorry, but I am not going to participate with anything Fusion 360 related.

I have had dealings with them in the past as an OEM R & D team member for 2 separate CNC companies and my opinion is that they talk a good game, but when its all said and done, there is much more said than ever gets done. Evidence of this is posted on a regular basis on each (and every) forum I participate on. They are all waiting for a proper post processor. Your post reinforces that position.

Thanks for the link to that thread. I have looked that over and will use that information to get 3 of the 6 working. Since the other 3 require that the tool retracts to a safe (negative) X position, like I say... above my pay grade.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
tblough
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Gary,

Here's the link to the posts detailing Centroid's DXF decision - viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1345
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
frijoli
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090099
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes

Post by frijoli »

tblough wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:55 pm On the Acorn, Centroid no longer supports DXF import for good reasons. Others are currently working on (and nearing completion) of a Fusion 360 lathe post processor. However, the pawn program was done completely in Intercon. The pawn is actually a fairly simple lathe program - check out Chapter 9 in the lathe operator's manual - viewtopic.php?f=20&t=76. The Press F6 to insert a profile is just the start of the profile. You then need to create it using lines and arcs. Once you draw the profile, the controller will create the roughing and finish passes for you.

As far as using all six tools in your lathe check this out - viewtopic.php?f=20&t=61&p=266&hilit=rear+tooling#p266
The post processor I was working on, I believe is ready. I don't have any way to test it though.
It's just the 2 axis version right now.

Clay
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
unofficial ACORN fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/897054597120437/