Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Acorn install on YCL 1236 Lathe

Post by Roadstercycle »

I'm changing over my YCL 1236 CNC Lathe conversion to the Acorn. Here's a few pics. Encoder mount seems to work fine but encoder won't be here until tomorrow so waiting game on that. I have a plastic gear on it until I can find one that has a flange. It seems these size pulleys don't have flanges. I may have to make one if SPDI does not have one. The Lathe is used in CNC mode and manual mode so there is extra switches for axis control. The 2 lower on the Lathe is to disconnect the motors from the system when using manual mode, if you don't do this it sends power back to the board even when a controller is not on and could damage something. Couple extra switches on the main motor controller for the same reason, manual and CNC mode. Pictures of home switches and mounts. I have not run the wizard setup yet although I did plug it in and did the bench test. All seemed fine. I was going to finish tomorrow but my Skyfire VMC-2 arrives tomorrow so that will be over shadowing the lathe setup. Anyway here's the pics. Also in one of the pics you'll notice a black motor on the end of the lathe, that is a custom setup I put together for doing inside splining and internal ring gears.
Attachments
IMG_3520.JPG
IMG_3519.JPG
IMG_3518.JPG
IMG_3517.JPG
IMG_3516.JPG
IMG_3515.JPG
IMG_3514.JPG
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Acorn install on YCL 1236 Lathe

Post by cnckeith »

nice size lathe..thanks for posting photos.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Can't wait to see this beast run.....
What motors are you going to drive the axis with?
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
jason1098
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by jason1098 »

Thanks for posting these pictures of your 12x36 lathe. I'm in the process of converting my 14x40 lathe that has a very similar look to yours. I'd like to keep manual control available, but was thinking it was going to be too messy having both CNC and manual. I'm curious how you ended up keeping both Z and X axis manual and where you put your motors to do so.

Do you have any pictures of the motor connections and information on switching between the two modes? I'd love to mount a Z axis ball screw between the ways, but can't figure out how to get around the tail stock clamp without removing a lot of casting. I'd love to hear what you did.

Any additional pictures would be greatly appreciated.

-jason