Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: HERCUS Mill Retrofit

Post by Commotion »

My dual voltage power supply arrived so i swapped it over. I noticed that when powered it up it said quadrature encoder error yet the encoder seemed to work fine and the numbers were changing as i spun it by hand.

The other problem i encountered was one of the servos now squeal. i have swapped over cables and servo drives and determined its the servo itself which is the cause. It still works but the noise is a pain. Has anybody had any issues with them doing this before? I do remember that on our plasma cutter it sometimes makes a noise similar to this (but a lot quieter tho)if the machine is stopped at a certain position , jog it a touch and the noise disappears.

i took a video.
https://youtu.be/AcUz_wOfswk

I also noticed the servos max out at 3750mm/min (1875rpm) before they bog which is much slower than when i was running the trapezoidal input on the servo tuning software. i ran that up to 3000rpm. what would be causing that do you think?
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

please post a report.zip file
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
martyscncgarage
CNC12: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Commotion wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:29 am My dual voltage power supply arrived so i swapped it over. I noticed that when powered it up it said quadrature encoder error yet the encoder seemed to work fine and the numbers were changing as i spun it by hand.

The other problem i encountered was one of the servos now squeal. i have swapped over cables and servo drives and determined its the servo itself which is the cause. It still works but the noise is a pain. Has anybody had any issues with them doing this before? I do remember that on our plasma cutter it sometimes makes a noise similar to this (but a lot quieter tho)if the machine is stopped at a certain position , jog it a touch and the noise disappears.

I also noticed the servos max out at 3750mm/min (1875rpm) before they bog which is much slower than when i was running the trapezoidal input on the servo tuning software. i ran that up to 3000rpm. what would be causing that do you think?
You say you have Leadshine AC servos. What is the make and model of the drive and of the servos?
Do they not also need to be tuned? Is there software available for them? I am unfamiliar with Leadshine AC servos.
DMM Technologies AC servo drives come with tuning software and their latest release allows auto tuning.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Commotion

Post by Commotion »

I will pull out a report.zip file when i get back home tonight and upload. Thanks.
Commotion

Post by Commotion »

martyscncgarage wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:56 am
Commotion wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:29 am My dual voltage power supply arrived so i swapped it over. I noticed that when powered it up it said quadrature encoder error yet the encoder seemed to work fine and the numbers were changing as i spun it by hand.

You say you have Leadshine AC servos. What is the make and model of the drive and of the servos?
Do they not also need to be tuned? Is there software available for them? I am unfamiliar with Leadshine AC servos.
DMM Technologies AC servo drives come with tuning software and their latest release allows auto tuning.

Marty
The drives are the ACS806 and the motors are the ACM604V60-1-2500. They came from a working plasma cutter so they have been tuned for that already. I got the tuning software from the leadshine website but the drives must be old as I could only get their version 1 software to communicate with the drives. I couldn't get their later software which has a lot more options to communicate with the drives i have. I read through the tuning manual applied the trapezoidal input and checked the tracking error and it all seemed pretty good. I was able to spin them up to 3000rpm during the testing but i know theoretically i will only be able to get 2400 rpm because of the 400kHz output limit of the Acorn. (400,000/10,000*60). With my turns ratio of 2 i should have been able to get 4800mm/min but max i could get by increasing jog is 3750. Maybe im missing something. ill get the report so Keith can have a look.
martyscncgarage
CNC12: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Commotion wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:00 pm
martyscncgarage wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:56 am

Marty
The drives are the ACS806 and the motors are the ACM604V60-1-2500. They came from a working plasma cutter so they have been tuned for that already. I got the tuning software from the leadshine website but the drives must be old as I could only get their version 1 software to communicate with the drives. I couldn't get their later software which has a lot more options to communicate with the drives i have. I read through the tuning manual applied the trapezoidal input and checked the tracking error and it all seemed pretty good. I was able to spin them up to 3000rpm during the testing but i know theoretically i will only be able to get 2400 rpm because of the 400kHz output limit of the Acorn. (400,000/10,000*60). With my turns ratio of 2 i should have been able to get 4800mm/min but max i could get by increasing jog is 3750. Maybe im missing something. ill get the report so Keith can have a look.
Were the drives singing like that on the bench?
What is the max frequency input the drives can take? Does the documentation state that for your particular drives?
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Commotion

Post by Commotion »

600kHz is max frequency the servo drives will read. Yesterday was the first time it made that noise. I have been playing with them with the tuning software previously without noise. It’s just the one so I will bring the motor into work and connect to the plasma cutter to see if it makes the same noise. Motor could have just had something fail or it’s possible it has already been removed from the plasma and replaced with another spare because of this noise but took a bit to come back. Who knows. I couldn’t find any reference online when searching for noise from these servos.
Commotion

Post by Commotion »

Keith,
below are what reports/exports i could figure. hope these are what u were after.
report_B0D5CC847FFD-1130170301_2018-01-09_15-09-53.zip
(154.39 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
msg_log.txt
(7.18 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
msg_cnt.txt
(1.13 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
Commotion

Post by Commotion »

Well I feel pretty silly but I figured out what is causing the noise. As it turns out I countersunk the bracket holding the servo to allow the new pulleys to be shifted over a bit. I must have done that after I did the testing with the tuning program but before I got the dual voltage power supply. The reason it was only one motor was cause the x servo bracket is thinner than the y servo bracket. Essentially the bolts must have been screwed in too deep and touching the winding. I found it because I decided to remove all the pulleys and brackets before putting in the car to take to work and decided to test it just one more time. This time it didn’t squeal.

Still can’t get any higher than 3750 or 3800mm/min rapids tho.
Commotion

Post by Commotion »

The VFD I ordered arrived. I decided I will install that with the small 3ph motor I have just to get it up and running and test out rigid tapping etc. I will keep an eye out for a larger motor to upgrade at a later date. I also bit the bullet and ordered a third servo motor. I found a 1000ppr servo motor with driver for less than the 2500ppr motor only so I ordered that. Because of the ratio of the z screw I can run the 24t pulley I made for it already and run the motor faster (which is can do because it’s got less pulses-someone check my logic) so it means I’ll have it installed quicker and have a spare driver for free basically.

Also after i cut the screws down and fixed the squeal I ran some of the little sample programs. It’s pretty satisfying watching the bed move around automatically. I found after reading the manual I think I need to change some parameters for the home switches which I haven’t set up yet.

Pretty stoked so far with how easy it’s been to get some motion with this centroid acorn.