End to Acorn Introductory Pricing date is January 3rd 2018

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

762x51
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: B0D5CC56DD75-0605170063 , 985DAD4295CF-0928170127 , 38D2694E4703-1222170401
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: End to Acorn Introductory Pricing date is January 3rd 2018

Post by 762x51 »

DICKEYBIRD wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:56 pm
mikes wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:14 pm <SNIP> This is just one man's opinion of course.
Actually I know of at least 2 - ;)
Black Forest
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: Yes

Post by Black Forest »

mikes wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:24 pm I really don't want it to sound like I am on a rant, as I still hope to use the Acorn in my build, and think it looks like a promising product. That said, I thought I would just offer up that I never heard back from anyone at Centroid after pointing out the pricing discrepancy on the site and asking for a call back to see if I could get the intro price. I was hoping for at least the courtesy of a call back. Maybe on Monday. The lack of callback has me a bit wondering about CS as a whole.

I see the site has been updated, but the funny part is they still have it wrong. The description area was only updated in one place. The intro price for the board and upgrades is still showing at the bottom of the Acorn description. From an ecommerce perspective it is best to put pricing in one place, or if shown in multiple locations, derive it from a single data point.
Do you need some cheese to go with that whine MIke :lol: Acorn should be at least double the price it is right now. I am shocked they only raised the price $60. The support and expertise behind this product is unheard of in the hobby market.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

mikes, what's your number? i'll call ya back.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

762x51 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:00 pm
mikes wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:14 pm <SNIP> This is just one man's opinion of course.
Actually I know of at least 2 - ;)
Make that 3! I’m sure Mike will realize the value of even the full priced Acorn eventually...probably sooner than later. Sounds like Keith is on it and he may get lucky. :lol: I had intentions of buying a third Acorn as a spare prior to the price increase but I held off. Certainly not because I was short on cash, but because when I am ready for #3, I will be more than happy to pay full price for it. The Centroid guys are the best and working hard to give us even more value for the money. :P
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

mikes wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:14 pm I must be blind as I did not see anywhere on the site that there was going to be a price increase. I have been looking at purchasing the Acorn for a number of weeks now.
It's none of my business Mike, but here goes anyway. :)

Any good CNC equipment (to me) is expensive and a purchase of this size requires careful consideration. The very first place I go to is a customer review page or when that's not available, the manufacturer's support forum. When I first heard of Acorn, I went straight to this forum (and the Centroid sub-forum on CNCZone) & read every word. You're right that the info was a bit mis-leading on the website after the price changebut hey, Centroid is run by real American human beings that do make a mistake or two on occasion. However, the site was correct in the important places. They're not Amazon or Walmart so don't expect to flog them with website fine print.

If you're honest with yourself, I think you'll realize your anger should be directed at yourself for not pulling the trigger sooner. Look at the bright side, Acorn is the best deal out there & well worth the regular price! This is just one man's opinion of course.
I echo Dickeybird. Sorry you just missed it, but its still a helluva value. Don't let $60 hold you back from making the purchase on a great board and software! "Buy once cry once" boy I wished I would have learned that a long time ago.... :|
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

martyscncgarage wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:13 pm
mikes wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:14 pm I must be blind as I did not see anywhere on the site that there was going to be a price increase. I have been looking at purchasing the Acorn for a number of weeks now.
It's none of my business Mike, but here goes anyway. :)

Any good CNC equipment (to me) is expensive and a purchase of this size requires careful consideration. The very first place I go to is a customer review page or when that's not available, the manufacturer's support forum. When I first heard of Acorn, I went straight to this forum (and the Centroid sub-forum on CNCZone) & read every word. You're right that the info was a bit mis-leading on the website after the price changebut hey, Centroid is run by real American human beings that do make a mistake or two on occasion. However, the site was correct in the important places. They're not Amazon or Walmart so don't expect to flog them with website fine print.

If you're honest with yourself, I think you'll realize your anger should be directed at yourself for not pulling the trigger sooner. Look at the bright side, Acorn is the best deal out there & well worth the regular price! This is just one man's opinion of course.
I echo Dickeybird. Sorry you just missed it, but its still a helluva value. Don't let $60 hold you back from making the purchase on a great board and software! "Buy once cry once" boy I wished I would have learned that a long time ago.... :|
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
DICKEYBIRD
CNC Control System Serial Number: n/a yet

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

ScotY wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:57 pmI had intentions of buying a third Acorn as a spare prior to the price increase but I held off.
Man, I wish I'd have done that. I pulled the trigger on Acorn #2 & Pro software for the mill before the regular price kicked in & SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) said "You bought MORE nerdy CNC stuff??!!" Fortunately she's a sweetie & fully understood the long term financial impact of the decision once it was properly explained (and I agreed that she needed a new phone.) :D
Milton in Collierville, TN

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."
762x51
CNC Control System Serial Number: B0D5CC56DD75-0605170063 , 985DAD4295CF-0928170127 , 38D2694E4703-1222170401

Post by 762x51 »

DICKEYBIRD wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:55 pm I agreed that she needed a new phone. :D
Yea, they do wear them out about 10 times faster than we do - :lol: :lol:
mikes

Post by mikes »

Well maybe I am whining a bit... and of course $60 is not going to break the bank. However, I do think there is an element of fairness. I offered my thoughts, so it is only fair that others offer there's, and I appreciate your perspectives. ;) I am new to this world and approaching very much from the hobbyist point of view. I am sure with my limited knowledge of CNC, I have yet to fully appreciate all that the Acorn has to offer. The CNC router build I am starting is just as much about all the learning and challenges to overcome in the build, and learning new CAD/CAM, as it is having a new toy to help in my woodworking endeavors. I am not retrofitting a $2,000 - $4,000 dollar machine, or resurrecting a commercial system that was salvaged. My build is relatively modest with a budget I am trying hard to keep under $1,100. That will probably not hold, even with all the stuff in my closet, and the deliveries coming from China. From that perspective, maybe the Acorn is more than I need, and should stick with the open hardware/software world I have played with thus far. Until I saw the Acorn, I was headed in the Smoothieboard direction as I have used it in 3D printing. I think Smoothieware will work, but that said, what impressed me the most with the Acorn was the user interface. As you have pointed out, there is the many years of experience Centroid brings to the solution. It is two very different worlds (open and closed systems). The Maker very much appreciates the open, but I also see the benefits of a closed solution with its "just works" advantage. I suspect you are all correct, that the Acorn is a bargain, especially if what you are looking for is something to drive your $3,000 mill retrofit. It sounds like the user community for the Acorn is coming from the Mach3 and other such solutions, and I suspect bigger and heavier toys. Unless there is another price increase coming soon, I have time to think it over, and research the alternatives.

Thanks again for your thoughts gentleman. :)
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

I’m coming from pretty much where you are...hobbyist just wanting to learn. I started with a Smoothstepper but just couldn’t make myself buy a Mach license. I went back and forth for months but I’m glad I waited and found the Acorn.