Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Acorn ATC Interface

Post by RayL »

I'm looking for information on the ATC interface for the Acorn. It appears to use the PLC outputs, but I've found NO information on exactly what signals it drives, and what signals it looks for as an acknowledge. Where is this information published? I have a proprietary 12-tool ATC for a mill that is capable of supporting a wide range of interfaces, including custom ones, but I want to make sure it will be possible to interface to the Acorn before making the purchase. I've also seen hints that it only supports 8 tools? I hope that is not correct, as that would be a show-stopper.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regaards,
Ray L.
Gary Campbell
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238
CNC12: Yes

Re: Acorn ATC Interface

Post by Gary Campbell »

Ray...
It might be better to look over the IO specs for the changer and post them here. How many outputs does it require? How many inputs? Is linear or rotary motion required to change the physical tool location? Any pictures or a spec sheet?

I am sure that if you post these you will get an answer in short order. There are some really ingenious guys here
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
RayL
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by RayL »

As I indicated, the ATC can support almost anything. It currently supports USB, Ethernet, I2C, RS232, and several other non-standard interfaces. I can add any other interface that is required. The ONLY thing it requires from the controller is a tool number or slot number.

The documentation I've seen indicates there is SOME capability built-in to support ATCs, but all I'bve been able to find is very vague references to using the PLC output signals, with no explanation of HOW it uses them, except to refer to the "Acorn Service Manual", which I've been unable to find.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regaards,
Ray L.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Ray,
Hello. ATC I/O (input and output) is done completely thru the Acorn CNC12 PLC program. Using the PLC program you can look for ATC related sensor inputs to close (or open) and turn on (or off) outputs to activate motors, air solenoids, hydraulics.. etc to operate an ATC. Creating this PLC program is a daunting task for many DIYers so, we are adding Basic ATC configuration support into the Wizard in upcoming v4.12. This will allow simple ATC functionality (Lathe turrets, Rack mount) for use with Acorn CNC12 with NO plc programming experience needed and will automatically create the PLC program for you by just answering some questions.

In the meantime, can you be more specific about the type of ATC you have and the I/O requirements? (photos are always welcome as well)

earlier post.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1095&p=5499&hilit=atc#p5499

and a primer on how to modify a plc program.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1141&p=5834&hilit=aamir#p5834

PLC programming resources.

http://www.centroidcnc.com/downloads/ce ... kstart.pdf

http://www.centroidcnc.com/dealersuppor ... Manual.pdf
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
RayL

Post by RayL »

We seen to be going in circles.... The ATC is one I built myself. It has an 83MHz ARM CPU, and I lots of I/Os. I can program it to do almost anything. I have no interest in adding a PLC, but I'd be amazed if the ARM could not be programmed to "look" like a PLC to the ACORN, if I knew WHAT the Acorn expected in terms of input and output signalling. As I indicated, only piece of information the ATC need to perform a toolchange is the tool number. It can perform the toolchange totally autonomously, and give a signal when it's done.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regaards,
Ray L.
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

ray,
all ATC's whether they are home built or not require sensors and actuators to operate the ATC that are controlled by Logic.
please describe it, i still have no idea what it is? is it an unbrella? a swing arm? a rack mount? home built rube goldberg? how about a photo?
in order to get the ATC to work with a CNC control (any CNC control) the integrator must define Logically how the ATC works.
so, when we are asking for the "I/O " we are really asking for is a logic description of how EXACTLY does the ATC function? only then can we begin the discussion on how to get it interfaced with the Acorn and CNC12. You don't have to Add a PLC, the Acorn has a PLC built into it that reads the Acorn Inputs (one thru eight) and controls the outputs (one thru eight) according the the Logic in the Acorn PLC program. as you say this program can do almost anything!;-) you just have to program it to do what you want. One way to run an ATC is.... the Acorn is expecting inputs to be open or closed in a pattern that describes what tool number the ATC is currently at. This can be pretty much anyway you want to define it.. here is one way to tell the Acorn what tool number an 8 position tool changer is currently at using 4 inputs on the Acorn board.....
0 = open input, 1 = closed input

Input 1 2 3 4 - If you wired the plc inputs 1-4 to sensors that represent the tool position where INP1 represents the least significant bit and INP4 the most significant, the PLC could be programmed as shown below to store the values of the 4 inputs in a word that represents the current turret position.

8 4 2 1
0 0 0 1 INP1 = ToolTurretBit1
1 0 1 0 INP2 = ToolTurretBit2
0 0 1 1 INP3 = ToolTurretBit3
0 1 0 0 INP4 = ToolTurretBit4

etc...

CurrentTurretPosition_W = 0 ;Rest to 0 on each pass
IF ToolTurretBit1 && !ToolTurretBit2 && !ToolTurretBit3 && !ToolTurretBit4 THEN CurrentTurretPosition_W = 1
IF !ToolTurretBit1 && ToolTurretBit2 && !ToolTurretBit3 && !ToolTurretBit4 THEN CurrentTurretPosition_W = 2
IF ToolTurretBit1 && ToolTurretBit2 && !ToolTurretBit3 && !ToolTurretBit4 THEN CurrentTurretPosition_W = 3
IF !ToolTurretBit1 && !ToolTurretBit2 && ToolTurretBit3 && !ToolTurretBit4 THEN CurrentTurretPosition_W = 4

etc.. you can do up to 16 positions this way

actual plc programming code for this type of example is described in the example link in scott's previous post.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
RayL

Post by RayL »

OK, now we're getting somewhere. So, if I understand correctly, I would have the ability to write a PLC program for the Acorn that will do something like the following:

1) Output the requested slot # to, for example, PLC outputs 1-4, as a binary number 0-15. A value of 1-12 indicates the toolchanger should load the tool from the corresponding slot to the spindle. A value of 0 indicates the toolchanger should put the current tool in the spindle back in the carousel slot it came from.
2) Set PLC output 5 HIGH, as a "request" flag to the ATC to start the toolchange.
3) Monitor, for example, PLC inputs 1 & 2 waiting for one or the other to go high.
4) If PLC input 1 goes HIGH, the toolchange succeeded, and the Acorn can continue running the g-code program
5) If PLC input 2 goes HIGH, the toolchange failed, and the Acorn aborts running the g-code program

Is that do-able? From the ATCs standpoint, the above would be absolutely trivial.

Regards,
Ray L.
Last edited by RayL on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regaards,
Ray L.
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

exactly.
RayL

Post by RayL »

OK, I've just found the M-code manual. It appears M107 might do the tool number output in step 1 above, except the manual provides no details whatsoever on HOW it does this, what outputs it uses, or HOW to set a "strobe". Similarly, it appears M100/M101 could likely be used to do the "polling" of the "done" and "error" signals in steps 4 & 5, perhaps without even needing a PLC program? The M6 documentation simply refers to the "Acorn Service Manual", which I still cannot find. I suspect that one manual might answer all my questions. How can I get that?

Regards,
Ray L.
Regaards,
Ray L.
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

ray, there is no such thing as an "Acorn Service Manual". please let me know where you found that reference and i'll eliminate it.

this post talks about how to program Acorn CNC12 PLC language for ATC

this post show you how to edit a Acorn plc program
and a primer on how to modify a plc program.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1141&p=5834&hilit=aamir#p5834

sample atc macro...

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Filename: cnctch.mac
; Tool change request macro
; Description: User Customizable Macro
; Notes:
; Requires: Machine home must be set prior to use.
; Please see TB300 for tips on writing custom macros.
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IF #50010 ;Prevent lookahead from parsing past here
IF #4201 || #4202 THEN GOTO 1000 ;Skip macro if graphing or searching
IF #4120 == #90014 THEN GOTO 1000 ;Skip macro if already at position
N100 ;Insert your code between N100 and N1000

M107 ;Send tool number
G4 P.5
M94 /6 ;Request tool change
M101 /70001 ;Wait for toolChangeComplete (MEM1)
M95 /6 ;Turn off tool change request.

N1000 ;End of Macro

8-atc_sample_PLC-code.txt
(136.85 KiB) Downloaded 167 times