Reason not to make lathe reference tool "T00"?

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

DICKEYBIRD
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: n/a yet
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Reason not to make lathe reference tool "T00"?

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

Here's what the manual says: "Tool Loc (Tool Number): This is the Tool Number (01-99) that is associated with the Tool Offset."

The tool tables for my ORAC in both Mach3 and DolphinCAM were both set up with the reference tool to be T00. It is ref'd at the X-axis centerline which is where my very accurate x-axis homing location is. I checked & it looks like I can add 00 to the Tool Loc list and it appears to Save OK. I have 25 tools set up now so will never need 100 which I think is the limiting factor. I know this probably seems weird but it is the way it was set up originally & what I'm comfortable with. Any reason not to do this with CNC12?
Milton in Collierville, TN

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."
Centroid_Tech

Re: Reason not to make lathe reference tool "T00"?

Post by Centroid_Tech »

That should work.
When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report. Find out how to take a report from your Acorn, CNC11 or CNC10 system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

If your question is PLC, Macro or program related, please also post a copy of the program or macro as well.

Without the above information we may not be able to help and/or reply until the required information is posted..
Dave_C
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by Dave_C »

Just sharing my experience with Tool T00..

From what I've experienced with Mach3, running it on my CNC lathe, Tool 00 is not to be used as an actual tool. This makes it impossible to take an actual cut with the master tool. I suppose it can be used as a reference but I don't know how to make use of it properly.

Setting up lathe tools are quite a bit different than setting up mill tools in that they take different cut depths in different metals and when using different depths of cut and feed rates. Then add in "spring" and you see why us old manual machinist take a three cut approach to the final pass. Cut, measure, cut measure and then adjust the cut for the final diameter. You can't really do that in CNC nor would you want to but you do need to know how to make that tool hit the desired diameter.

My X axis references very well and I use Tool 01 as my master tool and then set all tool offsets from that tool, using actual test cuts to set tool offsets. This has produced very accurate results so far.

So as to making T00 your reference tool, if theoretical tool setups are close enough, then I would say it will work. IF you need actual test cuts, then you may want to use T01 as your master tool.

My two cents worth,

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
DICKEYBIRD

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

Thanks guys. :)

Many of my tools are set up & tuned for a particular insert, material type, dia. & sfm so they can be relied on to give consistent results. When an untested combination came up while using Mach, I simply typed in a negative tool wear value, made the part, measured & adjusted to suit. Hopefully the Centroid software will allow the same procedure. I'm old & set in my ways. ;)

martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

DICKEYBIRD wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:52 am Thanks guys. :)

Many of my tools are set up & tuned for a particular insert, material type, dia. & sfm so they can be relied on to give consistent results. When an untested combination came up while using Mach, I simply typed in a negative tool wear value, made the part, measured & adjusted to suit. Hopefully the Centroid software will allow the same procedure. I'm old & set in my ways. ;)
Milton, RTFM, dig in and TELL US what works for you. :D
Looks like Centroid gave you the nod.
Keith is making engine blocks and cylinder heads at PRI this weekend. So he'll be back into the mix next week after he plays catch up.

Keith did a good job I think with the lathe operator's manual where setting lathe tools is concerned. I had ZERO experience with a CNC lathe until I was doing testing on it. I followed the manual and was able to cut a part or two without ugly things happening! :shock:
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
DICKEYBIRD

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

martyscncgarage wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:00 pm Milton, RTFM, dig in and TELL US what works for you. :D
I'm trying Marty! My buddy down the street keeps bringing me emergency stuff from his company to machine on the weekend & it's been busy at my day job. That leaves me about 11.2 nano-seconds on weeknights after I get home to play with Acorn stuff before I get sleepy.

Hopefully It won't be too much longer 'til the ORAC's making some decent parts to show n' tell. :roll: