Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0216041209
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Millport with a Knee

Post by lilb93 »

Was going to use the MAE HY 200-4270-710 A 8 steppers and just replace the DC drive units with CWD 2008 drive boards.
Now I an just going to move to Servos. The MAE HY 200-4270-710 A 8 are rated at 1525 OZ. Would I have to replace them with the same numbers of oz's ?
Are servos stronger than steppers ?
Even the Z axis has the same rating stepper motor on as the X and Y.
The choice is either clearpath which is DC or DMM which is AC.
Does one work better than the other? Thanks
Barnesville, PA.

I always thought it would take longer to grow old.
Centroid_Liviu
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes

Re: Millport with a Knee

Post by Centroid_Liviu »

On that size machine typically all axis motors will be the same size. The thing to remember with stepper motors is that they only can do their full rated torque when they are holding position. A servomotor will have a much better torque curve. For that size machine I would recommend something in the 29in-lb on the DC side or about 500w-750w on the AC side.
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. https://www.viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)
lilb93
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes

Post by lilb93 »

Centroid_Liviu wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:40 pm On that size machine typically all axis motors will be the same size. The thing to remember with stepper motors is that they only can do their full rated torque when they are holding position. A servomotor will have a much better torque curve. For that size machine I would recommend something in the 29in-lb on the DC side or about 500w-750w on the AC side.
The figures, would that be on the peak or constant. What RPM should they be able to run at. Rated and Max Rpm. Thanks
Barnesville, PA.

lilb93

Post by lilb93 »

Well I talked to DMM and they have the exact replacement for the nema 42 steppers I have now with there 1.5KW drives.
There waiting on the motors from China. Should take 4 weeks. They don't show nema 42 mounts with 5/8 shafts on there website. But they do have them. Actually they only have one in stock. So it is now hurry up and wait. Ordered 3 1.5Kw servos
and 3 DYN4 drives, and all the cables in 5M lengths to play it safe.
That should be enough power for it.
Barnesville, PA.

martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

lilb93 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:48 pm Well I talked to DMM and they have the exact replacement for the nema 42 steppers I have now with there 1.5KW drives.
There waiting on the motors from China. Should take 4 weeks. They don't show nema 42 mounts with 5/8 shafts on there website. But they do have them. Actually they only have one in stock. So it is now hurry up and wait. Ordered 3 1.5Kw servos
and 3 DYN4 drives, and all the cables in 5M lengths to play it safe.
That should be enough power for it.
That's nice to know. DMM recently added a couple more standard NEMA 23 and 34 AC servos to their line. Its good to know they are adding NEMA 42 as well.

Keep us posted.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ