Quick Tip: IF you have Home/Limit Switches, here is an example and description on setting them up

Moderator: cnckeith

cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Quick Tip: IF you have Home/Limit Switches, here is an example and description on setting them up

Post by cnckeith »

scoty,
please make sure you have axis direction set properly first.
marty explains axis direction convention here in this video.

only then after you have axis direction set correctly do you go and set up home on either side and travel limits etc..
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
martyscncgarage
Oak CNC controller: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes

Re: Quick Tip: IF you have Home/Limit Switches, here is an example and description on setting them up

Post by martyscncgarage »

ScotY wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:17 pm Hi Marty,
How do you set up a mill to home in the positive direction? I’m still trying to figure out how to make this work.
As Keith mentioned, your axis must be moving properly first.
Are you sure you have it set up properly? How about a little video clip of you pressing the jog buttons and showing the table and head movement?
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
ScotY
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by ScotY »

Hi Marty,
I posted my settings in the other thread I started about homing and I'm fairly certain I have the directions set up correctly. I was trying to make a video but something weird is happening now and I'm sure it's operator error. Yesterday, when I would home the machine, once it was done the DROs would all be set to zero. Now, after it homes, it shows values other than zero. I have no idea what happened and the only control/function I tried since yesterday was to use the Set All 0 button on the VCP.
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

Hi Marty,

I posted my settings in the other thread I started about homing and I'm fairly certain I have the directions set up correctly. I was trying to make a video but something weird is happening now and I'm sure it's operator error. Yesterday, when I would home the machine, once it was done the DROs would all be set to zero. Now, after it homes, it shows values other than zero. I have no idea what happened and the only control/function I tried since yesterday was to use the Set All 0 button on the VCP.

Tried again and now it's working normally...at least what I think it is supposed to be doing. :? Here's a short video showing the home sequence and directions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8955scnkwbk

Just to remind you, I want to mount the Y axis limit/home switch on the Y positive end of travel (easier and cleaner to install there). So, I have the following set using the Wizard.
- homing set to M92
- no direction reversal
- travel limit+ is set to zero
- travel limit- is set to -5
As it is now, when it homes, the DROs all go to zero. But, I believe I need the X and Z to show zero, but the Y axis should show 5 (since that is it's actual position).
martyscncgarage
CNC12: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

ScotY wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:34 pm Hi Marty,

Tried again and now it's working normally...at least what I think it is supposed to be doing. :? Here's a short video showing the home sequence and directions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8955scnkwbk

Just to remind you, I want to mount the Y axis limit/home switch on the Y positive end of travel (easier and cleaner to install there). So, I have the following set using the Wizard.
- homing set to M92
- no direction reversal
- travel limit+ is set to zero
- travel limit- is set to -5
As it is now, when it homes, the DROs all go to zero. But, I believe I need the X and Z to show zero, but the Y axis should show 5 (since that is it's actual position).
If you set any part zeros, it will not be zero at home.
Presss ALT-D that is machine position. After you home THAT should be zero. Press Alt-D to get back to regular screen
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

Okay, I'll see what that Alt-D does...btw, it started working "normally" again all on it's own. I see what Alt-D does. I hadn't set any part zeros so no idea how that would have happened. I did manage to crash CNC12 while jogging the machine and playing with the feedrate override. CNC12 totally locked up (thankfully nothing was moving) and even my PC locked up...control-alt-delete did nothing. I had no option other than to power down the PC.

But all seems to be back to normal now except...any idea how to fix my reversed homing setup?
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

Scoty,
If you are standing in front of a CNC mill like the one in marty's video that i sent and facing it...

Press X+ jog key on VCP.. the TABLE goes to the left. (tool goes thru work pc to the right)

Press the Y+ jog key on the VCP and the TABLE moves toward you. (tool goes thru work pc away from you)

Press the Z+ and the TOOL goes up.

video.. https://youtu.be/mA41pUyONJM?t=12m41s

can you post youtube video of your machine moving with you pressing the VCP axis buttons?

once you use the axis direction sorted using TAB #2 of the wizard to get your machine working in this manner, then you can select the homing direction in the same TAB. First step for Home to Switch "Auto homing", 1.) Auto homing requires home/limit switches to be installed and functioning 2.) use the wizard to turn on auto homing and pick the direction all in tab 2..once that works.. set up travel limits in same tab.
wizard-homing.jpg
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

Hi Keith,
I posted a video link a couple of posts up. I double checked and the table moves exactly like you said. It also behaves correctly with MDI commands. I’ll attach a pic of my wizard page 2 settings. I have been making changes only on page 2.

The problem is I want the Y axis to home in the “wrong” direction, i.e. not at Y zero. I’m also using just one switch per axis. I swapped the travel limit and homing direction to make this sort of work but when it homes, Y is at Y5 and the DRO shows Y0. Hope that makes sense? Is there a way to fix this?
Attachments
456ED90D-4E25-4040-BCF9-A7584F2E0D2D.jpeg
Last edited by ScotY on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

got it.. just looked at it.. looks like the axis directions is correct when you press the VCP jog buttons! So, now....

show me the locations of your limit/home switches on the machine and screen capture shot of Tab# 2 of the Wizard the way it currently is set (that matches what we see in the video) << Windows 10 “snipping tool” (type in snipping in the windows 10 search bar) or take a photo..>>>

https://youtu.be/IfjjCiyAPCo
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

Oops, just edited my post above. I haven’t mounted the Y axis switch yet but I’ll post a pic of where I want to put it so you understand.
Attachments
image.jpg