Quick Tip: IF you have Home/Limit Switches, here is an example and description on setting them up

Moderator: cnckeith

martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Quick Tip: IF you have Home/Limit Switches, here is an example and description on setting them up

Post by martyscncgarage »

IF YOU HAVE HOME/LIMIT SWITCHES:
Basic info first. This is a screen shot of my benchtop mill. It has ONE switch at Z+, X- and Y-. Since there is only one switch, it is configured in the Wizard as:
(PRIMARY SYSTEM CONFIGURATION TAB)
INPUT1 = FIRSTAXISHOMELIMIT
INPUT 2 = SECONDAXISHOMELIMIT
INPUT 3 = THIRDAXISHOMELIMIT

Alternatively and suggested method for wiring Home Switches from Centroid is to use "HomeAll" on Input 1 and wire all Home Switches into Input one.

INPUT1 = HomeAll
INPUT 2 =
INPUT 3 =

(AXIS CONFIGURATION TAB)
HOMING TYPE = Home to Switch (Because I have limit switch this tells the machine on power up to seek home switches when CYCLE START is pressed)
HOMING DIRECTION = Under the X column it is set to -(M91) (This tells the control to seek the X axis home/limit by moving in the NEGATIVE direction)
HOMING DIRECTION = Under the Y column it is set to -(M91) (This tells the control to seek the Y axis home/limit by moving in the NEGATIVE direction)
HOMING DIRECTION = Under the Z column it is set to +(M92) (This tells the control to seek the Z axhis home/limit by moving in the POSITIVE direction)

(Homing direction also creates your CNCM.HOM file, when you WRITE SETTINGS TO CNC CONTROL, this file is what the machine uses to seek home switches when you press CYCLE START on Power up)

Homing Sequence X=3, Y=2, Z=1 (The control will seek Z axis home switch first, then Y axis home switch, then X axis home switch)

Travel Limit(+) This tells the control how far in the POSITIVE direction there is in axis travel. This sets the soft limit. SO, if we have a home/limit switch at -X, then the machine in this example can travel 6.2" in the POSITIVE direction before it hits its soft limit.
For Y in this example, since we have a home/limit switch at -Y, then the machine in this example can travel 5" in the POSITIVE direction before it hits its soft limit.
For Z in this example, since we have a home/Limit switch at +Z, then the machine in this example can travel -4" in the NEGATIVE direction before it hits its soft limit.

PLEASE NOTE, if your machine moves in the -NEGATIVE direction, you must put the - in front of the distance traveled number, (-4 in this example)

If you don't setup home/limits correctly your machine will not move correctly.
Attachments
IMG_20170925_110608351.jpg
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
DICKEYBIRD
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: n/a yet
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Quick Tip: IF you have Home/Limit Switches, here is an example and description on setting them up

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

Marty's clear explanations = PRICELESS! :D
Milton in Collierville, TN

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."
C6MFG

Re: Quick Tip: IF you have Home/Limit Switches, here is an example and description on setting them up

Post by C6MFG »

Perfect timing...wired everything up last night...setting up wizard today.

Thanks'

Jason
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

Is there a way to home to a switch on one axis only? I haven't yet figured out how I want to set up my X and Y limit switches and only have Z hooked up so far. Seems I probably don't really even need X and Y switches but it would be nice to have Z consistently homed for tool changes and also the tool checker feature.
martyscncgarage

ScotY wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:51 pm Is there a way to home to a switch on one axis only? I haven't yet figured out how I want to set up my X and Y limit switches and only have Z hooked up so far. Seems I probably don't really even need X and Y switches but it would be nice to have Z consistently homed for tool changes and also the tool checker feature.
Is this a mill?
You probably want to put at least one switch on each axis...my .02
Marty
Mesa, AZ
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

It is a mill but I've been busy and I'm lazy. :lol: I do intend to install switches but was just wondering if I could run it that way for now. I actually want to machine the mounts on the mill so I suppose I could just manually home all axis.
martyscncgarage

You can just use simple home in the Wizard. When you first start the machine, jog it to the "starting" point, usually near the end of the -X, -Y and +Z travels. I'd use a sharpie and make a mark on all 3 axis for reference the next start up. Then press cycle start. Be sure to input your travel limits in the Wizard.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

In this example, which inputs are you using on the Acorn board?
martyscncgarage

INPUT1 = FIRSTAXISHOMELIMIT
INPUT 2 = SECONDAXISHOMELIMIT
INPUT 3 = THIRDAXISHOMELIMIT
Mesa, AZ
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

Hi Marty,
How do you set up a mill to home in the positive direction? I’m still trying to figure out how to make this work.