Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

encoder connectios

Post by Ronnie »

Can any one help. I have a Multitek Slim cnc controller where the one motor driver card is faulty and I cannot get a replacement. I am keen on the acorn cnc controller, have watched videos and down loaded the diagram. My three servo motors have encoders. Where do those wires go.
Thanks
Ronnie Searle
Centroid_Tech

Re: encoder connectios

Post by Centroid_Tech »

The ACORN only has 1 encoder port but that is mostly used for the spindle encoder. You do not connect the axis motor encoders to the ACORN. The ACORN just sends the STEP and DIRECTION signals to the drive. The encoders are installed onto the axis drive. You will have to get a drive which can run those motors and that can also accept the STEP and DIRECTION signals from the ACORN. Can you provide us with a spec sheet or a photo of the data plate on those motors?
When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report. Find out how to take a report from your Acorn, CNC11 or CNC10 system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

If your question is PLC, Macro or program related, please also post a copy of the program or macro as well.

Without the above information we may not be able to help and/or reply until the required information is posted..
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Ronnie wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:40 pm Can any one help. I have a Multitek Slim cnc controller where the one motor driver card is faulty and I cannot get a replacement. I am keen on the acorn cnc controller, have watched videos and down loaded the diagram. My three servo motors have encoders. Where do those wires go.
Thanks
Ronnie Searle
Ronnie,
I just looked up your Multitek Slim cnc controller:
http://www.sherline.com.au/MultiTEK%20S ... 0Nov08.pdf

Since it is compatible with Mach, then it is accepting step and direction inputs. It appears that it can use the DB25 parallel port. My hunch is that the servo controllers close the loop. SO, you may only need to use Acorn's DB25 cable to connect to your controller. Do you have the literature for your SLIM controller? Does it give the DB25 pin outs? If so post them.

You need to post to the ACORN forum, top of this main page....maybe we can get the moderator to move the thread.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Centroid_Tech

Post by Centroid_Tech »

Marty,

Ronnie stated that he was having issues with one of the motor drive cards and could not get a replacement. He will still have to purchase a drive in order to control that particular axis. Looking at the PDF file that you linked, it appears that the MultiTEK Slim comes in either a 3 or 4 axis version. I believe that means that all axis control is built into the same board, which means that if one axis goes, the entire controller needs to be repaired or replaced. I don't believe that control has individual boards for the individual axes.
When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report. Find out how to take a report from your Acorn, CNC11 or CNC10 system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

If your question is PLC, Macro or program related, please also post a copy of the program or macro as well.

Without the above information we may not be able to help and/or reply until the required information is posted..
martyscncgarage

Centroid_Tech wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:21 pm Marty,

Ronnie stated that he was having issues with one of the motor drive cards and could not get a replacement. He will still have to purchase a drive in order to control that particular axis. Looking at the PDF file that you linked, it appears that the MultiTEK Slim comes in either a 3 or 4 axis version. I believe that means that all axis control is built into the same board, which means that if one axis goes, the entire controller needs to be repaired or replaced. I don't believe that control has individual boards for the individual axes.
Roger, I overlooked that.
I guess he'd have to peel open the unit, to see if they were kind enough to make the drives modular.
It does look like Acorn could possibly drive it if he got it repaired.
Mesa, AZ
Ronnie
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by Ronnie »

See Photo, this a 3 axis and the cards are individual. The breakout board on the right.
The one axis card is faulty which is the X axis. I moved the faulty card to the Y axis and the
problem goes to Y axis, and move the good Y axis card to the X, then X axis works. All the cards are
identical and can be replaced or repaired individually. The LAN plugs are the encoder. That is my problem
when wanting to use the Acorn controller
Attachments
Multitek controller.jpg
martyscncgarage

Ronnie wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:02 pm See Photo, this a 3 axis and the cards are individual. The breakout board on the right.
The one axis card is faulty which is the X axis. I moved the faulty card to the Y axis and the
problem goes to Y axis, and move the good Y axis card to the X, then X axis works. All the cards are
identical and can be replaced or repaired individually. The LAN plugs are the encoder. That is my problem
when wanting to use the Acorn controller
Acorn is a motion controller. It does not accept encoder inputs from individual axis.
IF you had the board replaced or repaired, there is a very good chance that Acorn can DRIVE your board through its DB25 (unplug DB25 from your computer's parallel port and plug it into Acorn)

If it were me, I would check to see what it would take to have the board repaired or replaced and then get an Acorn to control your Multitek Slim cnc unit. It is NOT a motion controller, it is accepting step and direction signals via the PC's parallel port from Mach3. The axis boards drive your servo motors and the encoders connect to them, (Motor drivers), and "close the loop"

You have to have motor drivers to drive your motors. Acorn is a motion controller that sends signals to the motor drivers. Your PC becomes the graphical user interface to Acorn driving CNC12 software which communicates with Acorn via an Ethernet cable.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

Thanks Marty,
That is excellent info you sent me. The factory that made these units have closed down, that is why I am hunting all over incase some one out there has one that they are not using and wants to sell it. I have tried to have the card repaired but that is also a mission to find some one to do repairs.

Regards
Ron
martyscncgarage

Ronnie wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:31 am Thanks Marty,
That is excellent info you sent me. The factory that made these units have closed down, that is why I am hunting all over incase some one out there has one that they are not using and wants to sell it. I have tried to have the card repaired but that is also a mission to find some one to do repairs.

Regards
Ron
Long shot, but pdunster on CNCZONE answered someone some time ago. Might be worth sending him a message to see if he is still around and whether or not he can repair or replace your board.
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-tekni ... alive.html

Short of that, you might consider using Teknic Clearpath SDSK brushless servos and an Acorn to get your machine running again.
Closed loop steppers are an option too. About $129 per axis from Automationtechnologiesinc.com
https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.c ... servo-kit/
Marty
Mesa, AZ
Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

Hi Marty
Thanks. you're a star. As from 1 Dec I am on retirement so my funds are very limited, unfortunately. So that is why I rely on your valuable info.
I'm a diesel engineer since 1964 but electronics like is different for me. Thanks again for your assistance. I just have to get this machine running again some how.

Ron