Runtime Error 231

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

promisemachining
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0327060180, T39 A90089, M-39s 3535, M-39s 3770, M400ac/inv, M400ac/atc 10388
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Runtime Error 231

Post by promisemachining »

Sorry, it wasnt untill I posted the picture that I saw I forgot the front slash between the root and a.
New picture with that command included.
Attachments
DSCN0770.JPG
Centroid_Tech

Post by Centroid_Tech »

You don't have any of the files that I said previously that you should have on each of those floppy disks. I don't see the install.sh file nor any of the .zip files.
When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report. Find out how to take a report from your Acorn, CNC11 or CNC10 system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

If your question is PLC, Macro or program related, please also post a copy of the program or macro as well.

Without the above information we may not be able to help and/or reply until the required information is posted..
promisemachining
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0327060180, T39 A90089, M-39s 3535, M-39s 3770, M400ac/inv, M400ac/atc 10388

I am sorry, I did not know which floppy disc you wanted to see in there. I got the update figured out. I re-loaded the software off of the 3 floppy discs as you had instructed. Attached is a picture of the first of the 3 floppy discs called up. The files are shown.
Attachments
DSCN0771.JPG
promisemachining

I had started a new conversation under "Can not save programs back to floppy drive" during that conversation I got the file extension resolved and was able to then get the software reloaded.
My original problem is still unresolved. I am not able to save a g-code program created by my cad/cam back to the floppy drive. I can load it and it will run. I can also edit and tweek it but I can not figure out how to save it back to the floppy drive once it is loaded into the machine. If I try to export it to the floppy it gives me Runtime error 231. If I try to save as it from the F6 edit I get these two screens asking me to rename it.
I am getting enough programs in the Centroid that I am needing to set up a file system on my shop computer that has the set up information with the program and digital pictures of the set up. I dont want to loose the programs if something happens to the Linux system computer.
Is there an instruction sheet for backing up the g-code program files with the Linux system?
I am probably just doing something wrong.
Attachments
DSCN0773.JPG
DSCN0772.JPG
Centroid_Tech

Post by Centroid_Tech »

What happens if you try to backup your programs via F7(Utility)->F3(Backup) as outlined in the attached tech bulletin? Do you still get that Runtime Error?
Attachments
193 Generating Report.pdf
(5.58 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report. Find out how to take a report from your Acorn, CNC11 or CNC10 system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

If your question is PLC, Macro or program related, please also post a copy of the program or macro as well.

Without the above information we may not be able to help and/or reply until the required information is posted..
promisemachining

Yes, I still get the runtime error.
Placed empty floppy in drive, F7 utility, F3 Backup, F2 CNC Files.
I then get the screen in the first picture. If I hit enter or if I select the second and enter my screen turns blank grey and 45 seconds later I get the runtime error screen. I do not get the screen that shows the files.
From the runtime error screen I press F7 and it will save the report to the floppy drive, I then get a pop up screen that says it is complete. I have attached the report.
Attachments
report.zip
(35.96 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
DSCN0774.JPG
Centroid_Tech

Post by Centroid_Tech »

The only other thing that I can think of is that there is something wrong with one of the Linux files and the only way to fix that will be to build a fresh new SSHD. You can try to do it yourself using the attached tech bulletin or purchase one from Centroid for $425.
Attachments
199 Create Linux FC.pdf
(101.11 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

In the "Save As" dialog from the NEdit CNC editor, you could enter a valid Linux filename located on the floppy drive. For example "/cncroot/a/nameofpart.cnc".

In native Linux parlance, there are no "drive letters". Instead, everything is part of one big directory tree. Other drives and devices are "mounted" (attached) to the tree at certain places. On a Centroid system, the floppy disk is automatically mounted to /cncroot/a. Therefore any file name or path that begins with "/cncroot/a/" refers to a file or place on the floppy disk.

Given recent experience, I am reluctant to suggest typing more commands at a Linux command prompt, but....
You could try copying one or more files using the command prompt. This might give you a better chance at finding out what is going wrong.

Press Alt-F6 for a Linux command prompt.
Change directories into your ncfiles subdirectory, by entering the command:

Code: Select all

cd  ncfiles
List (display) the names of all the files in that directory by entering the command:

ls
That is "LS", but in lower-case letters. Commands and filenames in Linux are typically in lower case, and are case-sensitive.
Choose one of the files. In this example, I will use your file named "205033.cnc".
Insert a known-good floppy disk that still has some free space on it.
Copy the file over to the floppy disk with the command:

cp  -v  205033.cnc  /cncroot/a/
If the command prompt comes back with no error messages displayed, then the copy command succeeded.

If you want to copy every file in the ncfiles directory to the same disk, and you have reason to believe they will fit, you can use the command:

cp  -v  *  /cncroot/a/
Be careful to include the blank spaces when you type the commands, just as shown in the examples above.
In the last command, for example, there are spaces between "cp", "-v", "*", and "/cncroot/a/".
If you leave any spaces out, it will not work. If you add any extra spaces inside a word (e.g. "/cncroot /a /"), it will not work.
If you need to copy a file that contains space characters within its name (e.g. "205034face.75 rougher.txt"), then when you type the name of that file on the command line, you need to enclose the name in quotation marks.
promisemachining

Thank You!!!
I Saved all my cnc g code files to the floppy disc using the cp -v * /cncroot/a/ They are now copied to my shop computer and I am able to open them up. This will allow me to work with them. Thank You!!!!!
Given my circumstances what is the best way to erase unwanted g-code program files on the machine? There are several g-code programs left over from when I purchased the machine. Sooner or later I would run out of floppy space if I don't clean up after myself from time to time.

Fresh New SSHD
I have a compact flash reader on my shop computer that will take the flash card. Could I buy a new (identical to what is already in the Linux computer) blank flash card and copy the ISO image to it, using my shop computer. Then remove the existing flash card on my Linux computer and replace it with the new one. Would that work? Or is there a lot more to it than that?
Centroid_Tech

Post by Centroid_Tech »

Since copying the files via the Linux command prompt worked for you, I would recommend using the Linux command window to remove files by using the rm command. If you type rm /cncroot/c/cnc10/ncfiles/* and press ENTER, it will remove all of the files that are in the ncfiles directory. Remember that there is a space between rm and /cncroot.

As far as building a new SSHD goes, you are not actually copying the ISO file. You are using the ISO image file to build yourself a bootable Linux CD. Then you use that bootable Linux CD to install the Linux operating system as well as the CNC10 software onto the new SSHD. Please follow the instructions that are in that tech bulletin. Once you have the new SSHD built, then you would just replace your original SSHD with the new one you just built. The new SSHD will be loaded with a default configuration so you will need the report that you created in order to load all of your configuration files onto the new SSHD. You would insert a USB stick into the control. Copy the report.zip file onto the control. Unzip the file by typing unzip report.zip and press ENTER. After all of the files have been extracted, reboot the system.