Hardinge CHNC II+ Hickory LeadShine EL7 Retrofit

All things ecat Hickory CNC controller

Moderator: cnckeith

cncsnw

Re: Hardinge CHNC II+ Hickory LeadShine EL7 Retrofit

Post by cncsnw »

It is just for display. You can leave it as it is.
glbreil
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by glbreil »

Got the Beagle Bone update today. Simple and quick. Thanks!

IMG_0075.jpeg
glbreil

Post by glbreil »

I have a question about startup sequence. I have come to the place I am ready to startup the machine and do the tuning and testing that is necessary for all of the different components.

When I did the initial bench test everything went fine, but before I went farther I wanted to update the Beagle Bone firmware. I did that yesterday and today I have had trouble getting CNC12 to open and initiate.

After many attempts I did get it to connect a few times and then no luck again. Finally I think I discovered that the computer already needs to be on when I power up the Hickory board. So far it seems to work like that.

Does that sound right?

Once I got CNC12 open and connected, it passed the communication stress test with zero errors and passed the spindle test with no issues.

When it didn’t work it would either just sit there until I ran out of patience and I stopped it with the task manager, or occasionally it would time out and close on its own.
IMG_0083.jpeg
IMG_0084.jpeg
lavrgs
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by lavrgs »

Gary I think this is the time to add a report. Are your network addresses set? Are you getiing indication of communication?
glbreil

Post by glbreil »

lavrgs wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:05 am Gary I think this is the time to add a report. Are your network addresses set? Are you getiing indication of communication?
Thanks I can post a report but it’s not changed since the last report that was posted because it’s the first time it was turned on since the benched testing it all went fine. I did check the IP addresses and everything in the set up your computer yesterday and everything I could find was like it was supposed to be, once it did initiate it passed the communications test with no errors so that would seem to say the set up was OK.

When I have time again this evening, I will try starting it up with the Hickory board first and then the computer and then the other way with the computer first And the Hickory board second. The latter is what I found work

Gary.
glbreil

Post by glbreil »

Just to add a little information when I power the hickory board first beagle bone lights up solid for maybe 20 seconds and then the heartbeat starts. The eight segment display sits with the bar in the middle lit until I turn on the computer and after the computer start starts Segment starts circulating from top to bottom 123, 123, 123 so that looks like the board is talking with the computer at that point. The problem I’m having is if I start up like this CNC 12 won’t initiate.

If I start the computer first , the Hickory board starts up with the same sequence but then when I initiate CNC 12 so far, I’ve been able to get connected. I’ve had limited time so we’ll take a little more testing to see if that works consistently. If that’s what works. It’s OK, but I will probably have to put a switch on the front panel to turn to Hickory board on and off after the computer is started. Reason for my question is because the documentation says to start Hickory board first.

Thanks Gary

Added my most current report. No changes from this one to the problem, but after I finally got connected I updated the PLC so I will get a fresh one tonight.
glbreil

Post by glbreil »

I have tried this several times this afternoon and as long as I start the computer before I start the Hickory board everything works and connects just fine. If I start the computer before the Hickory board, I can even exit CNC12 and open it back up, and it still connects fine, but if I start the Hickory board first, it either freezes completely on the Initiating MPU screen or times out and closes CNC12. I have attached a fresh report. I have checked all of the settings as well as run the tuner again which passed everything. I have the Windows Power Management set to High Performance, and I don't really see a power management setting in the ethernet port. It is an Intel I225-V and below are all of the settings and how they are currently set. I have done some reading and don't really understand most of what I see, so if you all see anything that looks like it would make a difference let me know.

If I just need to set it up so I can power the Hickory after I start the computer it really isn't that big of a deal, I would just like to know if I have something wrong or that just needs to be the plan.

ARP Offload - Enabled
DMA Coalescing - Disabled
Enable PME - Enabled
Flow Control - RX & TX Enabled
Interrupt Moderation - Enabled
Interrupt Moderation Rate - Low
IPv4 Checksum Offload - RX & TX Enabled
Jumbo Packet - 1514
Large Send Offload V2 (IPv4) - Enabled
Large Send Offload V2 (IPv6) - Enabled
Locally Administered Address - Not Present
Log Link State Event - Enabled
NS Offload - Enabled
Packet Priority & VLAN - Packet Priority & VLAN Enabled
Receive Buffers - 1024
Selective Suspend - Disabled
Selective Suspend Idle Timeout - 60
Speed & Duplex - Auto Negotiation
TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - RX & TX Enabled
TCP Checksum Offload (IPv6) - RX & TX Enabled
Transmit Buffers - 1024
UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - RX & TX Enabled
UDP Checksum Offload (IPv6) - RX & TX Enabled
Wait for Link - Auto Detect
Wake from S0ix on Magic Packet - Enabled
Wake on Link Settings - Forced
Wake on Magic Packet - Enabled
Wake on Pattern Match - Enabled

Thanks Gary
lavrgs
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by lavrgs »

Gary I will say from the start that reading report files is just a hobby 8-)
have you ever used WinMerge ? It's used to compare files.Download it, as it very handy. If you open the two files within your report zip file that begin with Report you will see differences between the two files. For example Parameter 34 was 8000 and now it's 1024. (Encoder count) I don't think that will cause your problem.I think most of the differences are benign but it may be worth checking.
Look at the file debug_dump0.txt in the report
How are your axes and encoders set up? Does Hickory have a wizard or do you need to access the parameters? Review P308 &309. Also make sure your spindle axis is configured properly
TAFN
glbreil

Post by glbreil »

Thanks, at the time I discovered I could not connect unless I powered the computer first nothing had changed except from the initial bench testing except I updated the Beagle Bone firmware . Nothing had even been powered up since then.

Now that I learned I can connect if I powered the computer first I have moved on. I replaced the PLC completely, removed all the drive parameters as instructed and did the communication stress test and spindle test. Both passed. I just started putting the parameters back and there is nothing connected to the hickory board except power and comms so I would know the problem isn’t external.

That’s why there are differences in the reports.
glbreil

Post by glbreil »

Well I am still not sure if this is how it should be, but as long as the computer is powered up first it works flawlessly so I guess that is how it is. With that in mind I added a Hickory Start Up relay and a momentary contact button on the front panel today and wired up a little interlock circuit so that once the machine and drives are powered up I start the computer and then press the button on the panel to start the Hickory Board, it works sort of like the E-Stop Reset that was originally on the machine. Once it was powered up you had to press it to complete the E-Stop Circuit before anything else can happen. Not sure if anyone else has had this problem but attached it a sketch and a couple pictures of my work around.
IMG_0150.jpeg
IMG_0131.jpeg