CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Kitamura Mycenter Zero - DELTA Ethercat Retrofit

Post by spikee »

Hello Everyone,

My name is Spikee, and I'm from the Netherlands. I've been quietly observing this forum for some time while searching for the ideal platform to base my 1992 Kitamura Mycenter Zero CNC project on.

A Little Background:
At the end of 2023, I finally bought a home and decided to fulfill my long-held dream of owning an industrial-grade CNC machine. After some research, I found a great deal on a 1992 Kitamura Mycenter Zero. It previously belonged to a medical device milling shop that was selling it due to an unspecified issue with the tool changer. I purchased it after only seeing it operate through a video demo, where it was shown moving and starting the spindle.

Here’s a video of me moving it into my garage:

Here are some pictures of it being unloaded from the truck:

Old fanuc controller running some random G-Code:
[Youtube]: https://youtube.com/shorts/UAeiuj-X69c? ... pzyrtDgYi-

Why Retrofit?
The machine was equipped with a Fanuc 0M-C CNC drive system, which is quite outdated and imposes several limitations. Operations are cumbersome, it can’t handle modern CNC codes due to slow processing, and it lacks Fanuc Macro B for custom scripts, making any modifications difficult. Simply put, the 30-year-old controller system is in dire need of an upgrade. Here's a quick video showing the old UI:

Why Centroid?
I evaluated several systems before deciding:
- EdingCNC: It’s user-friendly and I have experience with it, but it lacks Ethercat for easier wiring and implementation, and its jerk limitation features are minimal. It feels too hobbyist for my needs.
- LinuxCNC: I used this for my DIY router, The Mightymill. While it’s highly customizable, it essentially involves doing your own R&D, which can be time-consuming and problematic. It currently lacks jerk limitation.
- CSMIO/SIMCNC: This system includes jerk limitation but doesn’t support Ethercat, and I found wiring a hassle in my previous setups. It offers a better UI but has limited calibration options.

Ultimately, I chose Centroid because of its solid reputation, excellent after-sales support, Ethercat integration, jerk limitation, comprehensive calibration, and expansion capabilities. Although it’s pricier and the UI isn’t as sleek as SIMCNC, the investment is justified by the reliable performance, quick setup, and robust support.

The Plan:
- Remove the old controller, electronics, and servo motors.
- Sell these components as spare parts.
- Install the Centroid Hickory as the new CNC controller.
- Acquire new servos, AC drives, etc.
- Perform initial movements.
- Reassemble the enclosure.
- Begin milling

The CNC controller Setup:
- Centroid Hickory + Wireless MPG
- Delta B3 1KW Ethercat Absolute Encoder for X, Y:
This provides precise control and feedback for the X and Y axes.

- Delta B3 1.5KW Ethercat Absolute Encoder for Z (with Brake):
Enhances the Z-axis with higher power and includes a brake for added safety and precision.

- Delta B3 0.4KW Ethercat Absolute Encoder for ATC Carousel Motor (with Brake):
Manages the tool carousel with exact positional accuracy.

- Delta B3 0.4KW Ethercat Absolute Encoder for ATC Tool Swap Arm Motor (with Brake):
Operates the tool swap arm, ensuring smooth and accurate tool changes.

- Delta C2000+ + CMC-EC01 (EtherCAT) + EMC-PG01H SIN-COS Encoder Card for the Fanuc Servo Motor:
This setup adapts modern Ethercat communication to interface with the existing Fanuc servo motor.

Note: The Ethercat wiring sequence is randomly illustrated in my quick drawing.

Current Status:
- I sourced the Delta components directly from China to take advantage of significantly lower prices. They are expected to arrive any week now.
- I had custom couplers made in China to adapt the 22mm Delta shafts to the existing 17mm ballscrews, ensuring compatibility.
- The Centroid Hickory controller has been ordered and is expected to arrive within the next two weeks.

-----------------
So one of the first thing I did was to check the runount of the spindle bearings; this was to insure a good basis to start the retrofit from.
Using the improper method, it is about 2um which is plenty good for my application:
[Youtube]: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/JNNWe7zWfDw

Halfway point of ripping off the existing enclosure so i would be able to reach the underlying components:

The Next challenge was to remove the existing coupler of the Fanuc servo motors. This was a supringl complicated feat.
I had to heavily modify a spanner in order to make it fit the coupler so I could remove it:
[Youtube}: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Q-lSyDtE-N4

In addition to measuring the runout of the spindle bearings, I also did a quick test of the flatness between the X,Y VS the Z axis by means of putting an 2um indicator on the CNC spindle housing and measuring against a granite parallel.
The Max deviation on X was 6um so that is plenty good for me. No need to replace the rails. I also did a quick sweep on Y and that was also plenty good for me.
cncsnw

Re: Kitamura Mycenter Zero - DELTA Ethercat Retrofit

Post by cncsnw »

Delta C2000+ + CMC-EC01 (EtherCAT) + EMC-PG01H SIN-COS Encoder Card for the Fanuc Servo Motor:
This setup adapts modern Ethercat communication to interface with the existing Fanuc servo motor.
You may want to review that one with someone knowledgeable at Centroid.

My understanding is that spindle drive control is still discrete-wired from PLC terminals. I am not aware of any Centroid EtherCAT support for the spindle drive control interface.
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Right on!

Right now we have not tested a C2000 yet on the Ethercat daisy chain, but will be testing a Delta M300 via as soon as they ship it to us. :D
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
spikee
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by spikee »

cncsnw wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:46 pm
Delta C2000+ + CMC-EC01 (EtherCAT) + EMC-PG01H SIN-COS Encoder Card for the Fanuc Servo Motor:
You may want to review that one with someone knowledgeable at Centroid.

My understanding is that spindle drive control is still discrete-wired from PLC terminals. I am not aware of any Centroid EtherCAT support for the spindle drive control interface.
Yeah I'm aware. But I'ms sure we will figure it out. worst case I can always wire it the old fashioned way :D