CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: OPCON and USB-BOB

Post by Sword »

suntravel wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:45 pm
Yeah, CNC joystick with force feedback punishing operator's hands if he crashes the machine :lol:

Uwe
When the force feedback kicks in :lol: .....
Attachments
More Power.png
Scott
Sword
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Post by Sword »

With the possibility of using this in the form of a pendant and perhaps taking it to another machine from time to time, is there possibly a way to "Refresh" or "Disconnect/Reconnect" it to CNC12? Currently, you need to restart CNC12. Just a thought, since I've started CNC12 a few times and forgot to plug OPCON in first, after using it on another machine. ;)
Scott
centroid467
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC12: No

Post by centroid467 »

OPCON does automatically reconnect to CNC12. However, you must start CNC12 with the OPCON plugged in. I'll talk to the programmers about getting rid of that requirement in the future.

Currently, the way I can see to make this work for you is to:
1. Pick a machine to start up first and plug the OPCON into it.
2. Start it up and wait for CNC12 to be ready.
3. Make note of which USB port it was in and unplug OPCON.
4. Transfer to next machine and start it up.
5. Rinse, wash, and repeat for each machine.

Please let me know if that works as expected.
BM_Machining
CNC Control System Serial Number: E0623479EC91-0208225652

Post by BM_Machining »

I'm so excited about the USB-BOB! I've wanted something like this since I first bought my Acorn! :o

I would definitely not be upset at being a beta tester... lol
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

BM_Machining wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:50 am I'm so excited about the USB-BOB! I've wanted something like this since I first bought my Acorn! :o

ok great, post a link to a photo album of your machine and let us know what you would do with the usb-bob
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
BM_Machining

Post by BM_Machining »

cnckeith wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:59 pm
BM_Machining wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:50 am I'm so excited about the USB-BOB! I've wanted something like this since I first bought my Acorn! :o

ok great, post a link to a photo album of your machine and let us know what you would do with the usb-bob
Gladly, here's a link to my machine in the Facebook group. I have a handfull of posts in there and I'm well versed on wiring: https://www.facebook.com/share/p/4vnFiWRFWhxy18ke/

Ultimately, I want to build a custom push button control panel with as many functions as I can fit. As a work around, I've been using joystick encoders and arduino macro pads to allow this, but they have left a lot to be desired as far as resemblance to a professional machine. Spent weeks trying to get an incremental encoder to translate over into 1x per click with an Arduino micro when I was building my controls, but eventually scrapped that because it was too unpredictable. It would be incredible to be able to get everything set up like I originally imagined control wise and no longer have to use keyboard bindings.
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

BM_Machining wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:28 pm
cnckeith wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:59 pm

Gladly, here's a link to my machine in the Facebook group. I have a handfull of posts in there and I'm well versed on wiring: https://www.facebook.com/share/p/4vnFiWRFWhxy18ke/

Ultimately, I want to build a custom push button control panel with as many functions as I can fit. As a work around, I've been using joystick encoders and arduino macro pads to allow this, but they have left a lot to be desired as far as resemblance to a professional machine. Spent weeks trying to get an incremental encoder to translate over into 1x per click with an Arduino micro when I was building my controls, but eventually scrapped that because it was too unpredictable. It would be incredible to be able to get everything set up like I originally imagined control wise and no longer have to use keyboard bindings.
right on, nice little machine. where are you located?
dm me your email.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
centroid467
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC12: No

Post by centroid467 »

BM_Machining wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:28 pm Ultimately, I want to build a custom push button control panel with as many functions as I can fit. As a work around, I've been using joystick encoders and arduino macro pads to allow this, but they have left a lot to be desired as far as resemblance to a professional machine. Spent weeks trying to get an incremental encoder to translate over into 1x per click with an Arduino micro when I was building my controls, but eventually scrapped that because it was too unpredictable. It would be incredible to be able to get everything set up like I originally imagined control wise and no longer have to use keyboard bindings.
What kind of functions are you looking for? USBBOB will give you 12 PLC configurable inputs for various kinds of switch; 12 outputs to control indicators associated with the switches; 3 incremental encoders for feedrate, spindle, and rapid feedrate overrides; and 3 more ports for handwheel encoders.

It sounds like you made a valiant effort with the Arduino Micro but as you found out, they really are not the best for reading encoders. Any of the ATMega328 or 32U4 based Arduinos will struggle with that and you'd really only be able to get one to work reliably. Arduino stuff wants to use interrupts to read encoders and the 8 bit devices really only have two external interrupts. You might have better results with an ARM based Arduino.

Of course, you would bypass all of that work by using USBBOB :)
BM_Machining

Post by BM_Machining »

centroid467 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:00 am
BM_Machining wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:28 pm Ultimately, I want to build a custom push button control panel with as many functions as I can fit. As a work around, I've been using joystick encoders and arduino macro pads to allow this, but they have left a lot to be desired as far as resemblance to a professional machine. Spent weeks trying to get an incremental encoder to translate over into 1x per click with an Arduino micro when I was building my controls, but eventually scrapped that because it was too unpredictable. It would be incredible to be able to get everything set up like I originally imagined control wise and no longer have to use keyboard bindings.
What kind of functions are you looking for? USBBOB will give you 12 PLC configurable inputs for various kinds of switch; 12 outputs to control indicators associated with the switches; 3 incremental encoders for feedrate, spindle, and rapid feedrate overrides; and 3 more ports for handwheel encoders.

It sounds like you made a valiant effort with the Arduino Micro but as you found out, they really are not the best for reading encoders. Any of the ATMega328 or 32U4 based Arduinos will struggle with that and you'd really only be able to get one to work reliably. Arduino stuff wants to use interrupts to read encoders and the 8 bit devices really only have two external interrupts. You might have better results with an ARM based Arduino.

Of course, you would bypass all of that work by using USBBOB :)
That seems like it will be more than enough for what I want to do. I want to make a panel similar to those you see on professional machines. Mpg, start, stop, feed hold, axis select, feed, spindle, rapid, various shortcuts and macros, etc. There are only so many things that can be emulated with a joystick input.
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

some news for you'all

We have a couple of USB-BOBs on the bench they work!

I've ordered another batch with some minor tweaks to send out to beta tester that batch of boards should be here in 3-4 weeks so a little wait

then after that we will go out for a large run of PC boards and build up the kits for sale for the first production batch!

here is updated pinout using photo of the actual board.
usb bob  connections.png