CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

VCP RESET onscreen button

Post by Gary Campbell »

Testers....
This is in regard to the action and state of the onscreen RESET button. If memory serves me correctly, when an alarm or the ESTOP was triggered in earlier versions the VCP RESET button state was changed to RESET TRIPPED. This action does not occur with the current release v5.08.

The following are true:
Using VCP RESET button, reset state acts as expected
No Fault out cycles with reset button
If estop is tripped
msg shows estop tripped, but does not change state of reset button
NoFault out is toggled off (servo power)
Spin FWD is toggled off
Some, but not all other outputs are toggled off
If estop is released
msg shows estop released, but does not change state of reset button
NoFault out is toggled on (servo power)
Some, but not all other outputs are toggled on

If SpindleOk is tripped
msg shows Spindle stopped, but does not change state of reset button
Spin FWD is toggled off
two presses on RESET are required to reactivate the NoFault output

If DriveOk is tripped
Nothing happens
No screen message
NoFault out is not tripped

Maybe I am missing something, but isnt the purpose of the vcp reset button to control/monitor the state of an internal fault/reset condition? If so, shouldnt the reset button show as tripped once any fault toggles of the NoFaultOut? After certain faults that shut machine down AND require cycling of the reset button to restore normal condition, shouldnt there be an onscreen indicator? ESPECIALLY when 2 presses are required to restore normal state.

Can someone verify that the "DriveOk" fault actions are not working?
Attachments
report_80F5B5B90015-0202236905_2024-04-11_10-59-09.zip
(930.86 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
cncsnw

Re: VCP RESET onscreen button

Post by cncsnw »

This is largely a function of the PLC programming, and to a lesser extent VCP design.

I agree that the subject needs to be revisited.

In my opinion, the VCP "reset" button/box should have three display states:
1) Normal: the VCP reset is not set, and the emergency stop is not pressed. Control is ready to run, unless there is some fault present.
2) Reset state: the VCP reset is set. It can be cleared by pressing VCP reset again, or by pressing and releasing emergency stop.
3) Emergency Stop: the emergency stop button is pressed. This cannot be cleared or changed with the VCP reset button.

If I recall correctly, there was such as distinction made in the VCP 1.0, but it went away when the Reset button was made into a configurable button like all the others.

Now that the VCP has "groups" that can be swapped in and out, it should again be possible to display all three states on the VCP.

In my opinion (and my understanding of the current implementation), the VCP reset button is all about user-initiated stop or reset conditions. As such, it is not its job to tell you whether or not some other fault (such as a spindle drive fault, servo drive fault, low lube fault, encoder differential fault, etc.) is present. Therefore, the "normal" display state of the VCP reset button does not necessarily mean that NoFaultOut is closed or that the control is ready to run.

However, it could conceivably be expanded to be an all-purpose fault indicator as well (extending the above list to four states).

On a related note, most Acorn PLC programs apparently do not reset fault conditions (e.g. spindle drive fault, servo drive fault, etc.) in response to the VCP reset button; but instead require that the operator press the wired emergency stop button instead. In my opinion, that should be changed. The button says "reset": it should reset things.

EDIT: I stand corrected on that. I misread "EStopOk_M" as "EStopOk", and so assumed that only the emergency stop button would reset faults. In fact, the "EStopOk_M" bit would also turn off if the VCP reset button is active; so the VCP reset button should be working to reset faults.
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

the reset button is not an estop.
the vcp reset button is resetting software, CNC12, clearing fault messages etc.
a virtual 'estop' isn't an actual estop and can not be labeled as such
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Sword
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Post by Sword »

Gary Campbell wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:07 am Testers....
This is in regard to the action and state of the onscreen RESET button. If memory serves me correctly, when an alarm or the ESTOP was triggered in earlier versions the VCP RESET button state was changed to RESET TRIPPED. This action does not occur with the current release v5.08.

Checked with 5.08 and a few versions back/forward....

The following are true:
Using VCP RESET button, reset state acts as expected
No Fault out cycles with reset button True
If estop is tripped
msg shows estop tripped, but does not change state of reset button
Spin FWD is toggled off
Some, but not all other outputs are toggled off True
If estop is released
msg shows estop released, but does not change state of reset button
NoFault out is toggled on (servo power)
Some, but not all other outputs are toggled on True. All outputs are in normal condition.

If SpindleOk is tripped
msg shows Spindle stopped, but does not change state of reset button
Spin FWD is toggled off
two presses on RESET are required to reactivate the NoFault output True, but I don't have a SpindleOk output.

If DriveOk is tripped
Nothing happens
No screen message
NoFault out is not tripped False, NoFault is tripped, drive power is off, and I get a Drive Fault message. The two press RESET is required to reactivate.

Maybe I am missing something, but isnt the purpose of the vcp reset button to control/monitor the state of an internal fault/reset condition? If so, shouldnt the reset button show as tripped once any fault toggles of the NoFaultOut? After certain faults that shut machine down AND require cycling of the reset button to restore normal condition, shouldnt there be an onscreen indicator? ESPECIALLY when 2 presses are required to restore normal state.

Like you, I could have sworn that the RESET button tripped with an Estop, but I don't see it back as far as v4.65. :?

Can someone verify that the "DriveOk" fault actions are not working? Seem to be working.
Scott
IPGregory
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 20D7787C45AB-0819226470 - 98F07B6F97F8-0623237343

Post by IPGregory »

I am still running 4.82 and if I trigger an E-Stop via the physical switch, then the VCP reset button engages and halts everything in SW.

I have the CNCPC and Acorn PSU pre-contactor, but everything else post.

So, CNCPC and Acorn stay up but everything else powers down. My E-Stops are dual circuit and 1 circuit is dedicated to the Acorn E-Stop input.
Thx
Ian

QueenAnt Pro V2 - CNC Router - https://photos.app.goo.gl/kg7CSvJsrAvAgRs26
MPNC - CNC Router - https://photos.app.goo.gl/ees2SER6C2Aw8AJ89.
Gary Campbell
AcornSix CNC Controller: Yes

Post by Gary Campbell »

cnckeith wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:40 pm the reset button is not an estop.
Dont want it to be one. I have physical working estop switches

the vcp reset button is resetting software, CNC12, clearing fault messages etc.
You forgot that it also toggles the NoFault output when present

a virtual 'estop' isn't an actual estop and can not be labeled as such
it is not my intent to label, relabel or use the reset button as an estop, virtual or otherwise. My intent is to have it return to its previous functionality that indicates the status of the NoFault output. I.e., if any fault, Drive (axis), Spindle (VFD) or a triggered estop switch occurs and the NoFault output is toggled off that the VCP button state would show as "Triggered". I cant be positive, but I think Marc hit it on the head that the change happened with the reconfigurable VCP buttons. I was hoping that it was something that just got lost in the shuffle.

Did anyone by chance load my report and can venture a guess why DriveOk input seems to be non functional? BTW onboard LED changes state as expected
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

thanks, yes i know it toggles no fault out :D

reading marc's comments i thought he was asking for a virtual estop button which osha isn't going to like.

ok then, we'll take a look at your setup.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

reading marc's comments i thought he was asking for a virtual estop button which osha isn't going to like.
No, not at all.

I was suggesting that the appearance of the VCP reset button could change, depending on whether the actual emergency stop button was pressed.

This would make it more obvious to the operator that the machine is in a stop condition that cannot be cleared using the VCP reset button.

I think Gary is suggesting something a little different: to also have the appearance of the VCP reset button change to show when any other fault is present (e.g. faults that can be reset using the VCP button).
Gary Campbell
AcornSix CNC Controller: Yes

Post by Gary Campbell »

cncsnw wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:47 pm
No, not at all.

I was suggesting that the appearance of the VCP reset button could change, depending on whether the actual emergency stop button was pressed.

This would make it more obvious to the operator that the machine is in a stop condition that cannot be cleared using the VCP reset button.

I think Gary is suggesting something a little different: to also have the appearance of the VCP reset button change to show when any other fault is present (e.g. faults that can be reset using the VCP button).
I am asking for no change in the action of the button, it works fine. What I am asking for is to have the visible button show as "Tripped" when any fault or estop has toggled off the no fault output. Like it used to. Didn't cycling the estop used to trip and clear the reset also? I like that idea more than a screen button.

After a few test runs, there are 3 states "normal", "tripped" and one that looks normal, but requires two presses. One to trip and one to reset. This occurs after any estop or fault that has been rectified and confuses the hell out of new users as the button looks like it is in the normal state.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

cncsnw wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:47 pm
No, not at all.

ok! i see what you are saying, a visual indicator that the E stop button is depressed in addition to the one that is in the message box highlighted in bright red. :-)

so any ideas on what it would look like without making the user think the reset button is an estop button?