dxf import

A place to discuss and ask questions about all things Machining for Mills, Lathes, Laser, and Routers

Moderator: cnckeith

TimN
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 20D778870A00-1019226598
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

dxf import

Post by TimN »

When I import this dxf to intercon it loses the 8 arcs and only the straight lines appear, even though it was all joined before exporting. What am I missing here?
testsquare.dxf
(8.53 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
cncsnw

Re: dxf import

Post by cncsnw »

I don't see anything wrong with the file.

I was able to read it in CNC12 offline/demo v5.00.

What CNC11 or CNC12 software version are you using?
Attachments
ScreenShotDXFImport.png
TimN

Post by TimN »

cncsnw wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:35 pm I don't see anything wrong with the file.

I was able to read it in CNC12 offline/demo v5.00.

What CNC11 or CNC12 software version are you using?
Yes that’s the correct file.
I believe my software is the same, v 5.00 cnc12.
Maybe I should look at my dxf export options.
Do you know a way to select a real point as the zero reference? When you zoom in the reference point changes and I can’t select an exact corner, for example.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

By "a real point", I assume you mean known numeric coordinates (presumably in the drawing, relative to the drawing's zero point).

I do not know of any way you can just enter such an offset.

The best approach, if you cannot get the CAD coordinates to be where you need them, is probably to just include a POINT entity in the drawing, at the location where you want your part zero point to be.

Then you can click on that point and press F2 to select it as the part zero, as the first step after loading the DXF file.
lavrgs
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by lavrgs »

What CAD are you using? Some systems allow you to set the origin of the drawing. There are a variety of options for exporting DXF files some work better than others; it will depend on your CAD as to what's available
TimN

Post by TimN »

lavrgs wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:01 am What CAD are you using? Some systems allow you to set the origin of the drawing. There are a variety of options for exporting DXF files some work better than others; it will depend on your CAD as to what's available
I'm using Rhino, but not very experienced. I do know that Rhino has an export with origin option. This could be what I need to figure out.
TimN

Post by TimN »

cncsnw wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:29 pm By "a real point", I assume you mean known numeric coordinates (presumably in the drawing, relative to the drawing's zero point).

I do not know of any way you can just enter such an offset.

The best approach, if you cannot get the CAD coordinates to be where you need them, is probably to just include a POINT entity in the drawing, at the location where you want your part zero point to be.

Then you can click on that point and press F2 to select it as the part zero, as the first step after loading the DXF file.
Intercon allows you to use the crosshairs to reference a zero location that is as close to the part as you place the crosshairs, but doesn't seem to select an exact point, end of line/arc for example.
lavrgs
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by lavrgs »

TimN wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:42 am
I'm using Rhino, but not very experienced. I do know that Rhino has an export with origin option. This could be what I need to figure out.
I am not familiar with Rhino but I expect there is a way to show an X-Y and Hopefully Z axis or plane. That is the origin. in Fusion360 and Creo items are often drawn relative to that and optimally drawn on the Z plane referencing X and Y.
In Creo it is possible to create several coordinate systems so I always added one, for a mill, that was in the top left corner of the CAD part; as the part would be put in a vise; where X0 could be touched from the left, Y0 was the back jaw and Z0 was the top of the stock. This made it easy to import into a CAM system. Fusion has the ability to orient the stock for its CAM .
In Creo, when exporting from a 2D drawing, the 0-0 coordinate was at the lower left of the border so I would place the 2D sketch at that point - HTH