Issues with Torch Calibration

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

TinyMan
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: Yes
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: B4107B74F173-0322237049
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Issues with Torch Calibration

Post by TinyMan »

Hi Joey
having the most terrible day today :x
The PC running the Acorn/CNC12 doesn't want to start up this morning. need to sort that out first
  • The Fiber connection point on the TX board .... one side of the plastic connection point snaped while removing the fiber cable. Hot glue is holing the cable in place..
  • The 3 prox switches are NC type ... when the holder is in the normal rest position, the Alt-i shows inputs as OFF .. if I tilt the holder, Alt-i LED illuminate on those inputs
Hopefully the PC will be back up and running in a hour or so then I can begin to rewire to operate without THC for now and get them cutting
TinyMan

Post by TinyMan »

Joey wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:05 am To run without the THC kit, Set the THC to Not installed in the profile managers THC config menu.
You will need to hook the Torch float switches to the Acorn input.

You will want to wire the ARC OK signal from the Hypertherm to an input also to ensure a reliable pierce delay.
Joey
So this is whats happened today;
  • THC Bench-test conducted with nothing connected to the TX board , showing 10V again.
  • Live plot showed a solid line at about 125
Attachments
THC bench capture.png
PID Capture.png
TinyMan

Post by TinyMan »

Joey
I don't see an ARC-OK connection on the PowerMax schematics. I used S15153 and S15136 to connect the torch holder and Hypertherm .. didn't see and ARC OK
Am I missing something ??
centroid467
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: No

Post by centroid467 »

TinyMan wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:45 pm
  • The Fiber connection point on the TX board .... one side of the plastic connection point snaped while removing the fiber cable. Hot glue is holing the cable in place..
The header on the THC_TX snapped or the connector on the cable itself? If it is only the board side then it should function as long as the fiber cable is positioned correctly. If the cable is damaged then you are not likely to get good results. In either case, be aware that you've got

Arc OK should go to any available input and be assigned to match in the Wizard. If you have your three prox switches to the same input as Joey suggested earlier then you can use IN2 on the THC_TX for Arc OK.
Joey

Post by Joey »

TinyMan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:32 am Joey
I don't see an ARC-OK connection on the PowerMax schematics. I used S15153 and S15136 to connect the torch holder and Hypertherm.. didn't see and ARC OK
Am I missing something ??
The TX board Reading max Voltage is showing the Last voltage reading and is a sign of damage by voltage greater than the max 10v.

If the THC is going to be set to not installed then the float switche will need wired directly to the Acorn input and not thru the TX board.

Hypertherm does have a consistent arc start time unlike other Chinese plasma cutters. You can probably get away without connecting.
But for the most consistent pierce delays the THC or Connecting the "OK to Move" pins is recommended.

Pin 12 and 14 on the Hypertherm is the "ARC OK" pins. Also know as "OK to Move".
Hypertherm cpc terminal.png
Hypertherm comunication cable.png
TinyMan

Post by TinyMan »

centroid467 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:31 am
TinyMan wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:45 pm
The header on the THC_TX snapped or the connector on the cable itself? If it is only the board side then it should function as long as the fiber cable is positioned correctly. If the cable is damaged then you are not likely to get good results. In either case, be aware that you've got

Arc OK should go to any available input and be assigned to match in the Wizard. If you have your three prox switches to the same input as Joey suggested earlier then you can use IN2 on the THC_TX for Arc OK.
So I'll clarify please;
  • Yes it was one of two plastic retainers on the header which snapped off. The cable itself is fine. and from the photo you can see a dab of hot glue holding the fiber cable.
  • Pins 12 & 14 on the hypertherm being dry contacts, I'm assuming it'll send an on/off signal?? listed as Red Black wires am I looking for a 0v and 5v or something?? Which output wire would go to IN2 of TX?
  • If now I'm bypassing the THC/TX card functions (until new card arrives), I was asked how would the cut/pierce heights be set?? I couldn't answer that.
  • Remove the "TorchTipTouchOff" from TX terminal (T in) input9 and directly connect it to Acorn input, right ??
Joey

Post by Joey »

Pins 12 & 14 on the hypertherm being dry contacts, I'm assuming it'll send an on/off signal?? listed as Red Black wires am I looking for a 0v and 5v or something?? Which output wire would go to IN2 of TX?
Follow S15195. The Everlast ARC OK signal works and is connected the same way as the hypertherm.I've attached Schematic S15195

Pin 12 of the Hypertherm will connect to an acorn input
Pin14 of the Hypertherm will connect to COM

If now I'm bypassing the THC/TX card functions (until new card arrives), I was asked how would the cut/pierce heights be set?? I couldn't answer that.

Connect the float switch directly to the acorn. Follow S15124
Pierce and cut height are set in the profile manager. I've attached Schematic S15124
Attachments
S15124.r3.pdf
(157.45 KiB) Not downloaded yet
s15195.r1.pdf
(155.75 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Screenshot_20240326-201528.png
Joey

Post by Joey »

Remove the "TorchTipTouchOff" from TX terminal (T in) input9 and directly connect it to Acorn input, right ??

Do not connect the Tin wire to the Acorn input.

Tin, Torch touch cannot be used without the THC boards. You will have to use a touch off device. The 3 sensor round mount should work well.
TinyMan

Post by TinyMan »

Hi Joey
New TX board arrived, installed, "THC bench test" readings correct.
Now loaded the "Torch Test" and getting error/not running (501 Invalid character, ALU-45A-1.cnc, line 118) I don't know whats causing this now and any help would greatly be appreciated
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-09 113613.png
report_B4107B74F173-0322237049_2024-04-09_11-31-38.zip
(6.35 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Joey

Post by Joey »

Can you post a picture of the profile and THC config settings?