CNC Control System Serial Number: 1218120647
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Replacing the CPU on a DC3IO controller

Post by Exhibitology »

Greetings,

The CPU running Linux on my mill died. It was running CNC10V2.68. It's a DC3IO controller.

One possible serial number may be 070627.1229.

Using another vintage CPU, I've gotten close to restoring the system but I'm getting the attached error messages.

This machine is due for an upgrade but I'm knee deep in two other upgrades. I'd love to buy some time.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Rich Rew
Exhibitology
Attachments
IMG_0533.jpeg
IMG_0532.jpeg
IMG_0530.jpeg
IMG_0529.jpeg
IMG_0528.jpeg
IMG_0527.jpeg
IMG_0526.jpeg
cncsnw

Re: Replacing the CPU on a DC3IO controller

Post by cncsnw »

When you say "CPU", do you mean a CPU7 or CPU10 board (see http://www.cncsnw.com/CPUs.htm#CPU7P5S) that is plugged into an expansion slot on the PC motherboard? Or do you mean the Intel or AMD CPU chip that is in the CPU socket on the PC motherboard? Or do you mean the PC motherboard -- or entire PC assembly -- itself?

The messages you show typically indicate that the CNC10 software is unable to communicate with the CPU7 or CPU10 board, through the expansion slot. You would need to verify that the board is installed and is making good contact in the slot.

It is possible, though rare, that your CPU7 or CPU10 board is indeed dead. If that is the case, you can obtain a swap-out CPU board from Centroid. Contact tech support to get an RMA.

First, though, you should try unplugging all the encoders, plus the jog panel, from the CPU7 or CPU10 board; then try powering up again. Sometimes a malfunctioning encoder can prevent the CPU board from responding.

Board sn1229 would be about right for a CPU10B board from mid-2007, so I would guess that is what you have.
Exhibitology
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1218120647
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Replacing the CPU on a DC3IO controller

Post by Exhibitology »

Thanks for the quick response.

The processor on the motherboard is dead. The whole unit must have got hit hard by something. When I opened it up, the cooling fan and heat sink on the processor was dislodged. The processor overheated the first time it was booted after whatever happened. I tried an entirely different motherboard and processor with the same form factor. Close but no cigar. I've got a new Celeron processor that seems a close match coming. For $9 it seemed like it was worth a try.