Centroid_Liviu
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: loading from a network drive

Post by Centroid_Liviu »

We have a fix available. If anyone needs it please send me a Private Message with your email address and I will send it to you (this is a beta rev but will be included in the next public release). This issue should only be affecting users running Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 .
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. https://www.viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)
AMDlloydsp
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0605130770
DC3IOB: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by AMDlloydsp »

Well, that was fast! PM on the way.

Thanks, Liviu.

Lloyd
AMDlloydsp

Post by AMDlloydsp »

For those of you who wish to load .nc files from a network share, this revision works exactly as it should.

Per the documentation, once you select a 'remote' drive, it becomes the default load drive until you select a different one.

It works just fine, now. Thanks go to the Centroid programming team, and Ajax (and Liviu) for pursuing this so quickly.

As Liviu will probably tell you, you should NOT run this installer as "administrator", or it bollacks the ability to see network drives. Microsoft something-or-other....

Lloyd
AMDlloydsp

Post by AMDlloydsp »

Liviu,
This following problem does NOT prevent me from using the mapped share, but it's confusing. I think it's probably something to do with Win8's interaction with CNC11, but I just don't have enough time on Win8 to know....

When I first installed the new update, the share was present, mapped as F:, and fully accessible to CNC11.

My guys were experimenting with using a second WiFi router as a "private network" between the XP CAM machine and the Centroid box.

When they first configured the router, they forgot it had no DNS server within it. It left Windows 8 unable to resolve the name of the share, and (of course) it could not find it. At that point, CNC11 could not locate the share.

So I told them to reconfigure everything as it was this noon when we fired up the update for the first time. When we did, Win8 immediately found the share and mapped it as F: again.

However, CNC11 cannot find the mapped drive anymore. I _can_ access the share by using "recent locations" in the file browser from F2... but the mapped drive never shows up in the file tree... only the single shared directory itself, and only in "recent locations".

So... we're still working, but it would sure be nice to figure out this network mapping issue that Windows is imposing on the application. It's weird that the mapped drive appears in the Windows File Browser, but not in the app, anymore!

I think it's important to your other users, because if they ever lose connectivity to the share, they lose access to it forever, unless they know to check the recent locations folder. It will 'stick' as the default load directory until the next boot of Win8. Then it disappears again, and must again be accessed from the recent-locations tab.

???
Lloyd
AMDlloydsp

Post by AMDlloydsp »

Ok...
A little followup. I missed a bit of chronology that might be important.

When they were trying to reconfigure the network, and the share was no longer accessible, they did fire up CNC11, and attempt to find it. It could not, of course, because the share wasn't available to Win8, either.

After they restored the network config, they confirmed that Windows saw the share, and it was there, as the same drive letter as before.
They then ran CNC11. No share visible, either in the 'computer' tab or in "network". However, it WAS available in "previous locations" ??? go fig.

Last night, my guy re-installed CNC11 from scratch -- UNinstalling it first (this is bad... DON'T do it!)
After Liviu assisted me in getting the machine unlocked again, I first made sure the share appeared to Win8 as a mapped drive (F:). It did. This was the same drive ID as before.
I then fired up CNC11. It could NOT see the share as a mapped drive, but COULD see it in the "network" tab... not as a mapped drive, but fully accessible as a workgroup computer with a shared network file directory.

Nobody ever changed any permissions on anything, so it's not due to any user intervention.

Windows.... bleh! I'm sure there's a work-around, but WHY would they fiddle with what paths an application gets to see? (no telling...)

Liviu, thanks for your quick help this a.m. We were already behind on a project, and being down for three hours didn't help. You did, though.

LLoyd
Centroid_Liviu
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by Centroid_Liviu »

Can you verify that you are not running the program as an administrator? By default all previous versions of CNC11 will automatically install and run with administrative privileges unless you manually unchecked it. Programmers want to eliminate that as an issue and I'm double-checking since I know the software was re-installed.
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. https://www.viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)
AMDlloydsp

Post by AMDlloydsp »

Liviu,
Double-checking this a.m.: Both the shortcut on the desktop AND the underlying program in c:\cncm are configured to NOT run as administrator.

Lloyd
AMDlloydsp

Post by AMDlloydsp »

Oh... and we did a complete shadow image backup of the Win8 volume to an external drive, so THIS particular employee won't be causing the same problem again! <G>

(only 24.5 gigs of a terrabyte used, so it only takes minutes!)

Lloyd