CNC Control System Serial Number: 0916130849
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Lube pump fault input questions

Post by bloomingtonmike »

Can we discuss Lube pumps for a minute.

I am confused.

First off my pump only has four wires. Black, White, Green, Red in that order. It is a 110V pump.

I was thinking I would:
run hot/line through the output for Lube (3&4 terminals on top of controller)
Run 110 neutral to the pump
run 24V+ through the pump (in green out red) and into the lube fault input
24V common to the lube fault common bank (cant remember the numbers off hand - either 5-8 or 9-12)

I did that and nothing happened.

Then I ran 24V+ from the 24VDC ps straight into the lube input, completely bypassing the pumps red and green wire, and when I started up everything I got a lube error and the estop tripped.

Tried it again with no 110V or neutral going to the pump at all. Same thing - lube fault error and contactor coil opens.

That really confused me.

Does the lube fault input trip when it sees 24V? I was expecting, since I thought it was expecting the switch to be NC that it wanted 24V+ on that terminal??

I hooked up just 110V to the pump and no conttroller - pump sounds like it is running just fine.

Any advice?

I do not see a name brand on my pump. At this point I am guessing I need to do something else for that lube fault input though.

Mikie
Mikie in Bloomington IL
bloomingtonmike
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes

Re: Lube pump fault input questions

One other question. Fault input related kinda.

I hooked up my VFD (WJ200 today). I was following the instructions posted on connecting up the WJ200. It has us connect the CM2 from the WJ200 to the allinonedc's Fault com for the spindle fault. That would affect the other 3 inputs as well too correct? That is also the estop com. I already had 24VDC com going there. Which should I connect up?
Mikie in Bloomington IL
polaraligned
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090103
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes

Post by polaraligned »

I am using a DC3IOB so it is possible that something is different.

The Lube out is a relay that just sends 110v out to the pump. Wire it in series with the pump and 110v source.

The low lube input just expects to be connected to the common or open. You DO NOT supply external power,at least not on mine.
I don't recall if the pump is normally open or closed, but you can simulate the low level signal by installing a jumper or removing it.

I have parameter 179 set to 0 so the pump is on when either a job is running or in MDI mode. This is the mode you want because the pumps from BP have a mechanical timer in them already.

I don't know what kind of inputs your board has, but I hope you did not damage it by applying 24v.
polaraligned
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090103
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes

Post by polaraligned »

As for connecting the WJ200, there is a more recent post about how to do it. Dig back a little and find it- it should clear any questions up.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

On the DC3IO and DC3IOB, the lube input (as well as limit switches, E-stop, spindle fault, and other standard functions) is internally powered, at 5VDC. The DC3IO/DC3IOB makes the common side of that 5VDC supply available on nearby "input common" terminals. You connect your devices (i.e. switches) between the desired input point and the input common (both wires to the PLC unit).

On the All-in-one DC and all other recent boards (GPIO4D, PLCADD1616, PLCIO2), inputs are externally powered at selectable voltages. You can run the inputs at 5VDC, 12VDC, or 24VDC. You need to install appropriately rated SIP resistors for each bank of inputs, depending on the voltage you choose to use. From the factory, All-in-one DC units generally come with 1K SIPs installed, for 12VDC inputs. If you want to run inputs with 24VDC instead, you need to change the SIP(s) to 2.2K. See http://www.cncsnw.com/InputSIPs.htm.

On the All-in-one DC and related boards, you connect one side of your external input power supply to the input common terminals. You then connect your devices (switches) between the desired input point and the other side of the input power supply. Generally, this means one wire to the PLC unit and one wire to a distribution terminal block.

For example, if you are going to use a 24VDC current-sinking input for low lube:
1) Install a 2.2K SIP for the bank which includes INP9-12.
2) Connect 0VDC to the common terminal for INP9-12.
3) Connect +24VDC to one side of your float switch.
4) Connect the other side of your float switch to INP9.

If your float switch is closed when there is sufficient oil, and open when the level is low, then do not include "1" in the value of Machine Parameter 178.

If your float switch is open when there is sufficent oil, and closed when the level is low; or if you do not have a float switch to connect, then include "1" in the value of Machine Parameter 178.

Machine Parameter 178 is a bitmapped parameter which is generally used for normally-open / normally-closed selection of various standard inputs. Bit 0 (value 1) affects the low-lube input. Bit 1 (value 2) affects the spindle drive fault input. Other bits affect things like the high/low range switch and various ATC sensors.
bloomingtonmike

cncsnw,

I have the 2.2k sips installed in all banks as I am using an external 24vdc power supply.

I should be able to test the low lube input then similiarly to the estop test only inp9 - Connect 0vdc to the 9-12 common and 24V to inp9 and it should be just fine with no changes to 178 as it simulates a NC float switch.

If it trips immediately with a low lube error what should I do??
Mikie in Bloomington IL
bloomingtonmike

polaraligned wrote:As for connecting the WJ200, there is a more recent post about how to do it. Dig back a little and find it- it should clear any questions up.
There were two WJ200 posts - one only being the pins to connect up and another with the dialog behind it. It is those two posts that have us connecting a pin from the WJ200 to the 9-12 common. That is what I was questioning as it affects other inputs.

Is there another thread I am missing??
Mikie in Bloomington IL
bloomingtonmike

rtfm - just found the mill manual. I have only been reading the install manual.

I just set 179 to 0 and see continuity on outp2 :)

Bear with me as a newbie to this controller lol.
Mikie in Bloomington IL
bloomingtonmike

Looks like I have a NO float relay so I set 178 to 3 (still have to fix my spindle fault too) and set 179 to 0 and in MDI the pump runs no problem.

On the spindle CM to 9-12 common - can I connect the CM AND the 0VDC from the power supply both to 9-12COM at the same time? Would that work?
Mikie in Bloomington IL
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

On the spindle CM to 9-12 common - can I connect the CM AND the 0VDC from the power supply both to 9-12COM at the same time? Would that work?
That would not make any sense. You need a complete circuit, including a connection to +24VDC, which can cause current to flow through the inverter's output circuit, and through the PLC's input photocoupler.

If the inverter's output circuit is an open-collector NPN transistor output, then you need to apply a more positive voltage to the output (terminal 11 or 12), and a more negative voltage to CM2. To do this with your All-in-one DC setup, you would connect +24VDC to the INP9-12 common terminal on the PLC; connect 0VDC (from your distribution terminal block) to CM2 on the inverter; and connect the inverter's open-collector output to the PLC input.

That said, I don't understand why you are trying to use CM2 and the open-collector outputs at all.

Doesn't your inverter report a fault using its alarm relay output (terminals AL0, AL1 and AL2)?

If so, you should connect +24VDC to the INP9-12 common terminal on the PLC; connect 0VDC to the AL0 terminal on the inverter; and connect AL2 to INP10. Then change Parameter 178 from 3 to 1, since you will have a normally-closed inverter fault signal.