Adam
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Using MPG's as hand wheels on a lathe

Post by Adam »

I'm retrofitting a MACH/AJAX control to a lathe using (MPU11 and DC3IOB ) and would like to be able to use the machine like a manual lathe as well as CNC. I'd like to setup 2 MPG's (1x X-axis, 1x Z-axis). The idea being that I can use the MPG's as you would the normal handwheels on a manual lathe.
jshank
DC3IOB: No

Re: Using MPG's as hand wheels on a lathe

Post by jshank »

There is a fellow in Brockton, MA, Paul Babin who is in the business of converting hardinge lathes to cnc/manual. He uses Ajax controls and installs mpg’s behind the longitudinal handwheel and the cross feed handwheel. The lathe will operate as a cnc lathe or it can be used as a manual lathe. I saw one of these lathes at his shop and had a chance to play with it. Very impressive machine, you could move the handwheels and control the x & z axis simultaneous. The amount of movement in relationship to the handwheel rotation could be controlled. Take a look at his website http://www.babinmachine.com/index.php?
Adam
DC3IOB: Yes

Re: Using MPG's as hand wheels on a lathe

Post by Adam »

WOW those Are very impressive Lathes. I have some friends i will share the web site with they have those type of lathes