Probe

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

Captain Midnight

Probe

Post by Captain Midnight »

Does the probe funtion need to be activated some way, like setting up a brain, or is it ready to work? I can't get my probe to light the LED on the Mach 3 Diagnostics page.
Also, on the MPU11, there are 4 probe input choices, which one is the high speed input?
cncsnw

Re: Probe

Post by cncsnw »

In most applications, you want to connect the probe between "Probe Mechanical Input" (H3 pin 6) and the 12V return (H3 pin 3 or pin 5).

If your probe needs a DC power supply for its logic circuits, use the +12V from H3 pins 7 or 9, and the return (0V) from H3 pins 3 or 5.

For the simplest test, to see if your software is recognizing the input, put a test jumper or test switch from H3/5 to H3/6. When the circuit is closed, you should see the probe input on/tripped.
Captain Midnight

Thank you for the reply.

My probe is a simple contact. I hooked it up to pin 6 and pin 5. I tested it with CNC11, and it lit the proper LED. When I run Mach3 it won't light the LED on the diagnostic screen, so I'm not sure what to try next to correct it.
Captain Midnight

I am connected to pins 6 and 5. The probe functions, but it won't light the LED on the diagnostic screen. How can I correct this?
Captain Midnight

I now have the probe installed and functioning properly, but it still won't light the LED on the diagnostic screen. How come?
bonestock
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by bonestock »

I ran into this same problem a few months ago http://www.ajaxcnc.com/ajaxbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=433.

The Ajax plugin does not implement the lower level probing code in Mach. They circumvent it for some strange reason. In an effort to use some robust 3rd party routines I bought for Mach I setup a brain to invert the Modbus 481 signal and pass it through to the probe LED. It caused the probe LED to light on the diag screen but NOTHING worked right. The actuation of the probe LED executes the Mach probing bits and clobbered the Ajax saved values in the DROs. I never did get a response about the feasibility of actuating the probe LED through the plugin. It certainly would resolve some issues with 3rd party probing support of all but the most BASIC probing routines.