Re: ALLIN1DC and ENCEXP scale configuration (Answered)

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

tblough
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: ALLIN1DC and ENCEXP scale configuration (Answered)

Post by tblough »

Alright. Ignore most of the posts above. I have the scales sorted for X and Y. I noticed a small blurb in the manual where it stated encoder inputs on the ENCEXP board were ENC16-21. That coupled with the thought of temporarily moving the glass scale to the ALLIN1DC enc 4-6 inputs so I could double check for correct direction and encoder faults on the encoder setup screen, fixed my problems. No issues with the encoders themselves, but the X axis needed to be inverted to match the motor encoder direction.

I don't believe it's a problem, but all three glass scales show an "O" error on the encoder screen. Differential and Quadrature are error free on all encoder inputs.
IMG_20181229_102428.jpg
So it now appears that encoders and DROs work correctly for the most part. E-stop or Axis Free now restarts without problems and scales/dros continue to operate as expected. Manual operation of the X & Y axis works correctly as manual operation consists of driving the ballscrew by hand with the motors powered off but still being driven by the ballscrew.

However one/two (probably intertwined) issues on Z remain. After converting Z to a manual axis (physically uncoupling the ballnut from the quill), the DRO no longer updates position as the axis is manually moved. I assume this is because I have not correctly configured ENC5 (the quill scale) to display the position with the Z motor encoder (ENC3) being physically uncoupled.

In addition, after re-coupling the ballnut and restoring Z to automatic mode, the scale for position correction remains turned off. The attached report has the latest configuration that puts me at this point.

Making progress, but I think I'm now at the end of what I can figure out on my own.
Attachments
report_1204182092_2018-12-29_11-16-35.zip
(2.18 MiB) Downloaded 162 times
Last edited by tblough on Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
Centroid_Tech

Re: ALLIN1DC and ENCEXP scale configuration

Post by Centroid_Tech »

It sounds like all you need to do is correctly set the Axis Summing parameter, which is 75. There is a slight issue with your system. That parameter requires your scale to be on axes 1-4 which means that you will need to have that scale input on axis 4 rather than axis 5. Looking at the report, I see that you have a 4th axis drive installed on this system but it's not enabled. What you will do is move all of your 4th axis configuration settings and parameters such as Slow Jog, Fast Jog, etc. to the 5th axis and move your 5th axis settings to the 4th axis. You will also need to correctly set the drive mapping parameters correctly as the 4th axis drive is now being associated with the 5th axis. Parameter 303 will be set to 0 while parameter 304 will be set to 1. I do also find it odd that you have the pitch for the quill feedback set to 5 revs/in. Typically, the encoders are setup in a way that 1 encoder revolution is 1 inch of travel. Please verify how your quill encoder is setup. Please also make sure that the Encoder Counts/Rev field is set correctly for your quill encoder.
When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report. Find out how to take a report from your Acorn, CNC11 or CNC10 system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

If your question is PLC, Macro or program related, please also post a copy of the program or macro as well.

Without the above information we may not be able to help and/or reply until the required information is posted..
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

I don't think summing is what he wants.

Summing (parameter 75) applies to "stacked" or "piggyback" movement: e.g. a quill scale on a bed mill, where the Z servo moves the whole head, but the quill can move the tool up or down an additional amount.

I cannot find the original post now, but I think Tom was describing a knee mill with an Elrod quill drive, with the "Smart Z" option. There is an encoder on the motor, and there is a linear scale in the quill. Long before Centroid supported scales for secondary position feedback in servo control, there was (and there still is) provision for using the motor encoder in servo control, and then using the quill scale to display position during manual movement, while the servo motor is uncoupled.

This is controlled with Parameter 130. Tom should be able to get most of what he wants by configuring the scale input as a manual 5th axis, and setting Parameter 130 = 591 or 593.

However, I do not know whether CNC11/CNC12 will also allow the same scale (which is assigned as the encoder input for axis #5) to be designated as the linear scale for servo positioning on axis #3. If not, he will have to forego secondary position feedback on Z.
tblough
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Centroid_Tech,

At this point, I'm not trying to do axis summing. Here is what I am trying to accomplish.

X axis, 2:1 belt reduction, 5TPI screw, motor encoder on ENC1
Y axis, 2:1 belt reduction, 5TPI screw, motor encoder on ENC2
Z axis, 1:1 belt connection, 5TPI screw, motor encoder on ENC3
A axis Rotary table, 90 rev/360 deg, motor encoder on ENC4
Z axis glass scale on ENC5 (like Elrod Machine to allow manual Z-axis use when the motor/encoder is disconnected from the quill)
Spindle Encoder, 4608 cpr, on ENC6

Agreed that Axis 5, manual quill axis, should have 1 turn/rev with 24500 counts/rev. I must have changed that during my fumbling around. The above setup (minus the spindle encoder on ENC6) is the same setup I have a work on an Elrod Machine 4-axis mill. It is not using summing (P75=0), but is using P130=593. I changed that to 493 to only disable z-axis motors when changing to manual.

I did have all of the above working axis movement was correct and the Quill could be operated in automatic or manual mode with correct position displayed on the DRO. I am confident I can get that back by fixing axis 5 motor setup. Where I ran into problems was when I tried to add glass scale feedback for positioning. I added an ENCEXP board and attached glass scales to Encoder1 (X), Encoder2 (Y), and Encoder3 (W, Knee).

With the glass scale option turned on, I would then like to configure the machine to use the glass scales for positioning feedback on X, Y, and the existing glass scale on Z while still allowing to change the quill from auto to manual. For now, I will probably not mess with axis summing on Z&W, and instead just display W position on the DRO.
Cheers,

Tom
tblough
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

cncsnw wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:30 pm ...setting Parameter 130 = 591 or 593.
Marc,

As far as P130 goes, I read where the manual axis needs to be configured as "@" (ones digit = 3) in order for Intercon to correctly post 2-axis code. Other than that, you understood correctly what I was trying to accomplish.
Last edited by tblough on Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Tom
tblough
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

There was also another minor question in the original post as well. I understand what D & Q are in DQOA on the PID/Encoder screen but not O or A. I'm showing and error under the O column for my three glass linear encoders. Is that an issue and if so, what do I need to do to correct it?
Cheers,

Tom
eng199
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by eng199 »

DQOA

Differential
Quadrature
Absolute

Differential error indicates an unplugged encoder or other serious wiring problem.

Quadrature errors occur if the cable is not shielded, not twisted pair, poorly routed, or the system is extremely noisy.

Online is for serial encoders. It is not relevant for standard A/B quadrature encoders. Logically, one might think "O" bit should be the same as "D" bit for standard encoders, but it is currently not implemented that way with all hardware configurations.

Absolute will be 1 with single or multi-turn absolute encoders. This also doesn't apply to standard A/B quadrature encoders.
tblough
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Thanks eng199. So I can ignore the fact that I'm showing errors in the Online column since these are standard line driver quadrature incremental scales and not BiSS encoders?
Cheers,

Tom
eng199
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by eng199 »

Yes, that is correct.
I may have implied the wrong state for "O" in my other post. "O" == 1 is online (good) when it applies. However, it doesn't apply to standard encoders.
tblough
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Thanks. That's kinda what I assumed and since this ENCEXP was the first Centroid product I have that supports BiSS encoders; I figured that's why I was seeing something in the O column for the first time.

Any ideas on how I can have a manual Z-axis using the P130 method and still have encoder positioning feedback while in automatic mode?
Cheers,

Tom