Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Drive Fault problem

Post by Jab814 »

Hello All,
I've been following how to wire a Hitachi VFD.
The reason for using a Hitachi sj200 is no specific reason other than I had one.
The machine had a Emerson commander SK wired to it until we had a power surge.
The power surge shorted out the Emerson and would not function .
I am currently at the point where if I disable parameter 178 by changing it from a 0 to a 2 my mill works as intended.
However if I enable back to a 0 it just states in the message bar "Drive Fault".
If I go and look at the led on the All-in-one for drive fault it is not lit.
I metered the voltage from com to drive fault and get 0V.
Should this read 10 volt to light the LED and enables operation of the spindle?
I'm new to centroid and its components and our other 2 centroid machines do not have a vfd wired to them for spindle control.
Please have patience with me for I am ignorant when it comes to reading a electrical schematic .
Reading the VFD manual was quite a task for me but I feel confident I know the most basic programing for it .
Thanks in advance,
Joe
Dave_C
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Drive Fault problem

Post by Dave_C »

Joe,

I have worked with a lot of VFD's in my day but I think you will find there are so many varieties out there, and they all set up different, so it is practically impossible to tell what your issue is just from this line:
I am currently at the point where if I disable parameter 178 by changing it from a 0 to a 2 my mill works as intended.
So what does para 178 do please?

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
Jab814
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

Post by Jab814 »

Hi Dave,
It forces drive fault to be "ok" on the all in one.
Jab814

Post by Jab814 »

Sorry again,
Parameter 178 is in the parameters of the centroid PC .
Dave_C
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Dave_C »

It forces drive fault to be "ok" on the all in one.
So basically it is covering the fact that the drive is NOT OK [ but maybe it really is] and lets it run anyway. Ok, that helps.

I'm not an all in one user but drives are drives. Let's make sure we are on the same page. I use "spindle OK" for my spindle motor and "Drive OK" for the XY & Z axis servos. (Acorn board)

I will assume that "Drive OK" is hooked to your drive as that is what you replaced! It might be as simple as the old drive had a NC circuit and the new drive is wired up as a NO circuit? (they can do either in most cases)

Since the drive actually runs, take a look at the terminals you are hooked to and see if the manual says they are NO or NC. That may explain why you have no voltage present as well at the "drive Fault" terminal.

But there can be more to this as modern drives can "sink" or "Source" voltage. Meaning they can be the source of the control voltage or they can take the voltage from an external control system. You'll have to look at the drive manual to find the diagrams and set the jumpers acordingly.

That's a good place to start for now, and since I don't know what the all-in-one board wants at the drive fault terminal, that is about all I an do for you.

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
Centroid_Tech

Post by Centroid_Tech »

Let me shed some light on the situation. First off, since you are dealing with the spindle drive, the message that you are most likely getting is "Spindle drive fault detected" but I cannot verify that as you did not provide us with a current report from your system. That message is displayed based on the state of an input, SpindleOK, which is typically input 10 on the ALLIN1DC. All of the inputs to the Centroid hardware are set as Normally Closed (NC) operation. Initially the Centroid PLC program would use the bits of parameter 178 to tell it if certain inputs were configured as Normally Open (NO) rather than NC. Since then the PLC program has been improved in such a way that an input can be easily changed from NC operation to NO operation by simply inverting the logic. To invert the logic, all you have to do is bring up the PLC Diagnostic menu by pressing ALT+I at the main screen. You will see 4 rows of red and green dots. The top row are your inputs. Use the arrow keys to scroll over the white box to the desired input. Press CTRL+ALT+I. This will change the color of the input as well as placing a line above the dot which tells the control that input has the logic inverted. Bit 1 of parameter 178 happens to be the bit for the SpindleOK input. So by adding a value of 2 to parameter 178, you are telling the Centroid software that the SpindleOK input is a NO input not an NC input. That is why you are able to run your system.

For what it's worth, I tell everyone to have the inputs set as NC for safety reasons. In the case of the spindle, if you were to cut the cable, the control would never fault as it sees a NO state as a good state. The majority of drives use a relay output in which you can select either the NC or the NO side of the relay. Some of the really older drives may have only had an NO side for the relay.
When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report. Find out how to take a report from your Acorn, CNC11 or CNC10 system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

If your question is PLC, Macro or program related, please also post a copy of the program or macro as well.

Without the above information we may not be able to help and/or reply until the required information is posted..
Jab814

Post by Jab814 »

I apologize I missed that I had a reply
I have tried to use control+alt+I, but it just changes my system from continuous to incremental motion while on input 10.
Is there another way or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks Joe
Centroid_Tech

Post by Centroid_Tech »

If it's switching between Continuous and Incremental mode than the system is not seeing you press the ALT key. Make sure to press and hold the CTRL and ALT keys at the same time prior to pressing the I key. If that still doesn't work, try a different ALT key on your keyboard. Typical keyboards will have 2 ALT keys, one on each side of the SPACE BAR. If that still doesn't work, try a different keyboard.
When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report. Find out how to take a report from your Acorn, CNC11 or CNC10 system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

If your question is PLC, Macro or program related, please also post a copy of the program or macro as well.

Without the above information we may not be able to help and/or reply until the required information is posted..
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

I see in the original post you have an All-in-one DC (not a DC3IO) in this system, so presumably you are running CNC11 software. That does not necessarily mean that the Ctrl-Alt-i input inversion feature is available. That was only introduced with CNC11 v3.12, in December 2013.

Earlier versions of CNC11 do not use Ctrl-Alt-i inversion. Newer and current versions don't use it either, unless paired with a post-2013 PLC program that supports that feature.