Bench Test cannot find home switch. (resolved)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

Reedfirst
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Bench Test cannot find home switch.

Post by Reedfirst »

The only reason I didn't wire in x- to in1 is because I still have to mount the switch. :lol:

I just used x+ as I already finished the bracket and the switch is already adjusted.

I'll move it to x- once I get the switch mounted.

On another note. I did use intercon to draw up,machine and mount the y-, y+ and X+ limit switches. so technically I guess that's my first cut! :shock:
20170903_211226.jpg
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Reedfirst wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:11 pm The only reason I didn't wire in x- to in1 is because I still have to mount the switch. :lol:

I just used x+ as I already finished the bracket and the switch is already adjusted.

I'll move it to x- once I get the switch mounted.

On another note. I did use intercon to draw up,machine and mount the y-, y+ and X+ limit switches. so technically I guess that's my first cut! :shock:

20170903_211226.jpg
It would be helpful to have you wire and configure the software correctly for the machine, even if you are tripping -X, -Y and +Z switches manually.
Also, you need to put in your travel limits into the wizard in order for the wizard to generate your home file. It is the file the software uses to home your machine. Do you know what your travel limits are yet? You could go conservative and then fine tune once you have all the limits mounted up.

Things will start working MUCH better once you do these things. Do all of this in the Wizard, not CNC12 software.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Reedfirst

Post by Reedfirst »

Yes, I have already my travel limits entered.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by wiring it up correctly. I haven't changed any of my wiring since I discovered this issue. As a matter of fact, I haven't changed anything other than adding the x+ limit switch. Please enlighten me.

The wizard lets me choose which direction I want the machine to home to. The default is to home in the x+ direction (m92) I currently have my limit switch on the x+ side wired into In1 on H4. Default.

Now on the Y axis I chose to have the table move toward the machine in the y- direction. The wizard lets me choose that option (m91).

The opposite side switched should have no affect on the homing sequence being they are connected to input 8 (e-stop). In theory they should never be tripped.

What I did figure out is that the homing sequence appears to only work on the main screen at initial startup of cnc12. If I want to manually home an axis, it doesn't work in the parameter screen (F3 Find Home). As i'd like to use my machine as a 2 axis or a 3 axis machine I figured it would be beneficial to manually initiate the homing routine. I imagine it would be important to home the Z axis when switching modes or if the machine was started in 2 axis mode and then the third axis was switched on. Im learning here so if this is incorrect please explain.

Any idea why It won't treat the limit switch as a home switch in the parameter screen?
Reedfirst

Post by Reedfirst »

Also, If my opposite limit switches and wired into in8(h1 e-stop) and one of them were to be tripped; Which in turn sets off an e-stop condition. It would appear that I wouldn't be able to jog the machine away from that limit switch as an E-stop condition would have to be cleared before the machine could be jogged. Is that correct?
martyscncgarage

Reedfirst wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:00 pm Yes, I have already my travel limits entered.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by wiring it up correctly. I haven't changed any of my wiring since I discovered this issue. As a matter of fact, I haven't changed anything other than adding the x+ limit switch. Please enlighten me.

The wizard lets me choose which direction I want the machine to home to. The default is to home in the x+ direction (m92) I currently have my limit switch on the x+ side wired into In1 on H4. Default.

Now on the Y axis I chose to have the table move toward the machine in the y- direction. The wizard lets me choose that option (m91).

The opposite side switched should have no affect on the homing sequence being they are connected to input 8 (e-stop). In theory they should never be tripped.

What I did figure out is that the homing sequence appears to only work on the main screen at initial startup of cnc12. If I want to manually home an axis, it doesn't work in the parameter screen (F3 Find Home). As i'd like to use my machine as a 2 axis or a 3 axis machine I figured it would be beneficial to manually initiate the homing routine. I imagine it would be important to home the Z axis when switching modes or if the machine was started in 2 axis mode and then the third axis was switched on. Im learning here so if this is incorrect please explain.

Any idea why It won't treat the limit switch as a home switch in the parameter screen?
The Wizard Screen shot you took didn't show travel limits.
You can certainly home your machine how ever you want to!
I believe you are correct. IF the machine hits the limit switch, trips the Estop, I don't see a way to back off the switch until you put in some sort of Override switch to defeat the limit switches.

Virtual Control panel has a button to send the machine home.
Curiously, why would you want 2 axis sometimes and 3 axis others? Why not just leave it 3 axis?

I know there have been issues when a user has tried to run the Wizard and then gone into parameter settings and made changes. I don't know if thats your case or not. Would have to let Centroid answer that one.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
Reedfirst

Post by Reedfirst »

martyscncgarage wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:20 pm
Reedfirst wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:00 pm Yes, I have already my travel limits entered.

The Wizard Screen shot you took didn't show travel limits.
You can certainly home your machine how ever you want to!
I believe you are correct. IF the machine hits the limit switch, trips the Estop, I don't see a way to back off the switch until you put in some sort of Override switch to defeat the limit switches.

Virtual Control panel has a button to send the machine home.
Curiously, why would you want 2 axis sometimes and 3 axis others? Why not just leave it 3 axis?

I know there have been issues when a user has tried to run the Wizard and then gone into parameter settings and made changes. I don't know if thats your case or not. Would have to let Centroid answer that one.

Marty
You're right, the screen shot that I included didn't show my travel limits as I had reset the configuration before you had asked. I was attemtping to start from scratch to debug the issue. Sorry for that confusion. However, even with no travel limits the machine still found home on the initial cnc12 screen and not in the parameter (F3 Find Home) screen. There is no answer to that and I am still wondering why....... :?

Operating the cnc as a 2 or even 1 axis cnc is one of the features listed on the acorn feature page. One example would be a quick one off part where all you needed to do was drill some through holes. Or if you didn't have a spindle encoder or a taping head, you could power tap like in a regular manual mill. It really depends on the job. Iv'e seen that feature advertised on a very nice milling machine that was actually using Centroid Control. I personally think that would be a nice feature to have on a cnc "tool room" mill.

The wizard is a great feature. One of the things I noticed while using it was if you reset the controller setting to default, the parameters apparently reset as well. There are some features that I had enabled in the parameter section (2 and 3 axis switching) that were defaulted back to the factory settings when the reset was performed.
martyscncgarage

I think as you get used to the control, you might find Intercon, the conversational programming feature kind of handy. When it comes to actually making parts, I need a little help. (I spend far too much time working on machines!) Intercon is great for simple jobs, and includes many canned cycles, like drilling, bolt hole circles, arrays, milling pockets both rectangular and circle.

But I get what you mean. You basically want to disconnect the Z axis so you can use the quill manually. My large CNC knee mill, allows the ability to unlock the ballscrew nut from the quill to do just that.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Reedfirst, please post a current report.zip file so we can see the cnc configuration settings and message logs. This will enable us to give you good advice on how to configure your machine tool.
Marty has a post on how to create a "report.zip" file on the forum.
Best regards, Keith
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Reedfirst

Post by Reedfirst »

Hey Keith, here is the report file. Sorry it took so long. I've been prepping for this hurricane. :shock: I don't know if this helps but right before I generated it I homed the machine as soon as cnc12 started up. I then went to the f3(find home) screen and tried it there to generate the error.

Thank you very much for you help.

-Adam
report_985DAD37C13C-0605170052_2017-09-06_12-43-44.zip
(142.98 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Adam,
hello. thanks for posting the report file.
after the hurricane, PM me with your Teamviewer ID and pass. Marty has a video on how to setup Teamviewer please take a look at that.
then i'll talk you thru the home switch setup with homing and travel limits etc.. -Keith
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html