Lathe Tool Changer

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

762x51
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: B0D5CC56DD75-0605170063 , 985DAD4295CF-0928170127 , 38D2694E4703-1222170401
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Lathe Tool Changer

Post by 762x51 »

Will it be possible to control the tool changer on a lathe such as the EMCO Compact 5PC?
vandal968
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Re: Lathe Tool Changer

Post by vandal968 »

Yes, you can. I've got a Denford Orac which uses the same type of carousel (reversible DC motor, gray-code encoder wheel for position feedback). Mine is currently connected to my Acorn and I can monitor the position of the turret as well as manually index it via the Virtual Control Panel. I'm waiting on Centroid to give me a hand with the macro so that it can function automagically. They've been busy with the Acorn release, but it should be 100% functional shortly and once done, the same macro should work for all similar turrets (Emco, Denford, etc.)

HTH.

cheers,
c
vandal968

Post by vandal968 »

Here's a video of my ATC working under Acorn on my Deford Orac.

https://youtu.be/7XxCzerDKGU

cheers,
c
DICKEYBIRD
CNC Control System Serial Number: n/a yet

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

Hi Corey, that's very nice! So you're a beta-tester for CNC12 Lathe/Acorn, yes? Keep up the good work & please post how things are going with with the Acorn and your ORAC. Looks like you found yourself a very nice, low time machine to play with. I think ORAC's are very good machines. :D

My ORAC will have to have stay with Mach for a while yet but I definitely have plans to get an Acorn for it after the new mill is running. Can't wait to run the ol' ORAC with an encoder on the spindle!
Milton in Collierville, TN

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."
Threedj16
CNC Control System Serial Number: C8FD19F23AFF-0213180659

Post by Threedj16 »

vandal968 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:40 pm Here's a video of my ATC working under Acorn on my Deford Orac.

cheers,
c
Any chance you can post your turret PLC file? Or is it posted somewhere on the forum already? Thanks!
Last edited by Threedj16 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chaz
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by Chaz »

Threedj16 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:21 pm
vandal968 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:40 pm Here's a video of my ATC working under Acorn on my Deford Orac.

https://youtu.be/7XxCzerDKGU

cheers,
c
Any chance you can post your turret PLC file? Or is it posted somewhere on the forum already? Thanks!

-Jasen
I tried to get a file from him too but no response via Youtube. You can actually pause the vid and copy it. For me, I had to use a different approach anyways, so it doensnt work for what I needed.
deanq
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by deanq »

Nice machine Chaz. Will your macro work with an M6 tool change command?
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Hey guys we're working on adding simple ATC support into the wizard so it's an easy click or two to get it going in the meantime have to do it the old fashion way and program your own PLC and macros please check out this link for an explanation on how to do that.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1340
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

cnckeith wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:43 am Hey guys we're working on adding simple ATC support into the wizard so it's an easy click or two to get it going in the meantime have to do it the old fashion way and program your own PLC and macros please check out this link for an explanation on how to do that.
http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1340
Hey Keith, I can appreciate how long something like this takes. But when I was researching to buy, one of the turret threads from November stated you'll were two weeks out from a turret wizard. Then it states turret support under the Lathe Pro purchase section. So it gave me the impression it was already built in. Then after I buy it and start setup, surprise, there isn't one. I even ask around were is it located.

Anyway, it is what it is now. So I'll have to patiently wait. But programming this myself, the post you linked above is above my head.

Thanks
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

Chaz wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:32 am
I tried to get a file from him too but no response via Youtube. You can actually pause the vid and copy it. For me, I had to use a different approach anyways, so it doensnt work for what I needed.
So it's just the short file that needs changing, not the multi page file. This actually helps a ton. I thought the source file had to be modded. This maybe workable.

Ok, watching the video again, why is he modding the cnctch.mac file for a turret change? It also appears just changing that file isn't the only file which needs modding. I'm looking at the 8-position-gray-code.src file and see there are a lot of variables which need changing there too.