Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Overwriting Loaded Job

Post by phazertwo »

I recently updated CNC12 for the first time since 2019ish? I updated in late December 2023 and am enjoying many of the updates... however I lost one of the most amazing features! Saving over the job that is loaded... Now I used to be able to do this, as long as the job was not actively running.

I searched and searched and only found this:
https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic. ... job#p71298

This does not seem to be the problem that I have as I can change to a dummy job and then save over the original.

I also went thru the Wizard and didn't see any options that sounded right... is there a parameter somewhere I can change to allow this. I understand why it doesn't come that way out of the box, but when I am iterating a program quickly, it was VERY nice not to have to make a swap back and forth to a dummy program!

Also, is there a way to make CNC12 point to a different directory when you click "LOAD"? It points at NCFiles now, but I made a folder named the machine name that I use... it helps me keep programs straight between my machines.

Thanks in advance for any help!
PZ
Sword
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC12: Yes

Re: Overwriting Loaded Job

Post by Sword »

I've always been able to overwrite/update the loaded file. Seems like there was some mention of it in a post, but not sure.

For your second question.... https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=9460
Scott
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

This might be related to the "G Code Preview" feature. Try changing Parameter 417 to zero (or unchecking that option wherever it happens to be in the Wizard).
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

I have no problems editing a loaded file with P#417=1
Also no problem to post a new version from fusion for a loaded file.

Uwe
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

phazertwo wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:02 pm I recently updated CNC12 for the first time since 2019ish? I updated in late December 2023 and am enjoying many of the updates... however I lost one of the most amazing features! Saving over the job that is loaded... Now I used to be able to do this, as long as the job was not actively running.

I searched and searched and only found this:
https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic. ... job#p71298

This does not seem to be the problem that I have as I can change to a dummy job and then save over the original.

I also went thru the Wizard and didn't see any options that sounded right... is there a parameter somewhere I can change to allow this. I understand why it doesn't come that way out of the box, but when I am iterating a program quickly, it was VERY nice not to have to make a swap back and forth to a dummy program!

Also, is there a way to make CNC12 point to a different directory when you click "LOAD"? It points at NCFiles now, but I made a folder named the machine name that I use... it helps me keep programs straight between my machines.

Thanks in advance for any help!
PZ

what do you mean by saving over a job that was loaded?

if you mean that you want CNC12 to remember the last job loaded, that selection is in the wizard under cnc control preferences.
remember g code.png

you can also tell cnc12 to remember the last directory used when loading a job so you don't have to always navigate to the same directory.
use parameter 4 to configure how the cnc12 load button works
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
phazertwo

Post by phazertwo »

Parameter 417 fixed the saving over the loaded job file.

Keith, I am talking about saving over the file that is current displaced as "Job Name" at the top of CNC12. I post directly to the machine, so when I do post fusion asks "are you sure you would like to overwrite the file" or something to that effect. I always just click yes and am ready to rock, but with parameter 417 set to 1, it says the file is in use, and cannot be overwritten. I had to load a different job, then post/overwrite, then go back and select the original job.

I am interested, Uwe, what is different about your setup that you can overwrite the current job with P#417 = 1... I would prefer it that way. Also, you're an inspiration! You've got me dreaming of an Acorn 6 and full linear encoder feedback!

Also, updating the path.ini file fixed my folder path.

Thanks
PZ
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

I am running 5.08 64bit, no special magic to overwrite an open file, this works as it is installed also with P417=1

Uwe
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

phazertwo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:08 pm Parameter 417 fixed the saving over the loaded job file.

Keith, I am talking about saving over the file that is current displaced as "Job Name" at the top of CNC12. I post directly to the machine, so when I do post fusion asks "are you sure you would like to overwrite the file" or something to that effect. I always just click yes and am ready to rock, but with parameter 417 set to 1, it says the file is in use, and cannot be overwritten. I had to load a different job, then post/overwrite, then go back and select the original job.

I am interested, Uwe, what is different about your setup that you can overwrite the current job with P#417 = 1... I would prefer it that way. Also, you're an inspiration! You've got me dreaming of an Acorn 6 and full linear encoder feedback!

Also, updating the path.ini file fixed my folder path.

Thanks
PZ
what version of cnc12 are you running?
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
phazertwo

Post by phazertwo »

Mill 5.06. Updated right at the end of December.

PZ
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

phazertwo wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:51 pm Mill 5.06. Updated right at the end of December.

PZ
try v5.08 i remember we were experimenting with having cnc12 "let go" of the file that is currently loaded so other programs could overwrite it, but i can't remember off the top of my head how we left it, i'll look back in the svn and see if i can find some notes in this regard on monday.