Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Newest issue involving connection

Post by goldriverww »

centroid467 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:27 am Please forgive my picking and choosing what to respond to here...

Making a video of the problems was the right thing to do in this case. We only know what you tell and show us so providing specific details in that way is one of the best ways to avoid being told to go back to bench test configuration for the 11th time while your system is in bench test configuration. In general, your caution is commendable even if it results in lost time. Retrofitting a machine takes time and I'm sure everyone's first go at it took a lot longer than they planned no matter whether they chose Centroid or others.

Why do you believe that the Meanwell power supply issue brings you back to square one? Does this mean that you believe replacing the malfunctioning power supply will not bring you closer to the machine running?

From what you have repeatedly told us of your build, you have it pretty much ready to go (with one spindle running) once the Acorn powers up and connects to the software. Providing that your wiring is right, then you only have some software configuration to get it set up for the specifics of the machine. If your wiring is not quite right, we'll probably be able to tell what the issue is rather quickly since the symptoms will be easy to notice when you start moving axes. Configuring the software for the specifics of the machine can seem pretty daunting but once you get familiar with the Acorn Wizard you will find setting up (initially for a single spindle) to be dead simple.

I fail to see how this is square one. Seriously, your next big step after successfully powering on the Acorn and connecting it to CNC12 is to plug in one of the drives, mechanically disconnect its motor from the machine's motion, and get it spinning under control from the Acorn. If moving motors is not a sign of progress, I don't know what is. It has been precisely seven days since you reported that the green light on the power supply was blinking and you had a suitable replacement in hand since Wednesday as well as multiple offers to replace it under warranty. If you spent the three minutes it takes to swap out the power supply then you would have motors moving by now.
Full disclosure... in a "moment of weakness", while grabbing a cup of coffee, I decided to refresh this thread and found your massage centroid467... which BTW is appreciated particularly since you've been helpful in my endeavors.
However,... you just helped make one of my points... in one post, I'm almost insulted (ALMOST... I'm by no means thin-skinned) for taking the time to make a video... then in another post my video effort is endorsed as helpful...
This is an example of why (IMHO) the credibility/reliability factor is so degraded by the lack of consistency that it renders everyone's help almost to the point it loses value.
Which cannot be appreciated by those of you who actually know what you're talking about!

And again... with all due respect to you... my reference to "square one" remains... because if I'm not back at the point (new power, bench test, check it out) which is where I started out... what is the definition of "square one"?
As far as operating ONE spindle... that was still my goal... however I had been stopped dead in my tracks before I even had the ability to consider one or twenty spindles...
And there's no need to remind me... the fact that the Meanwell situation presented itself is apparently nobody's fault... but mine.

But I'll give it a run over the weekend just to satisfy my curiosity.
I have time to digest while I await delivery of the alternative system I purchased earlier this morning.
I'll be sure to report the results of my comparisons when I engage in an attempt to get it started upon its delivery.
We'll kinda make an unofficial quasi-scientific comparative analysis experiment out of this endeavor.
Cheers!