Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Newest issue involving connection

Post by goldriverww »

I'll start a new topic since my others are becoming obsolete...

Can't load Acorn... CNC12 won't connect.

Debricked... reloaded CNC 12, ran tuner... only thing plugged in is the Meanwell, Acorn, Relay Board...
The green LED on the Meanwell (power source) constantly blinks

and the Ethernet Network display in Network connections fluctuates between:
Network cable unplugged (with RED X)... then to ENABLED... then to "Unidentified Network"...
Desktop is new, therefore I'd assume the plug-in is fine. (And yes... I'm painfully aware of what ASSUME translates into).
Tried another cable... same result.

Common sense suggests there's a connection... (or lack of one) between the blinking light on Meanwell and the mysterious fluctuations in the LAN or Ethernet connection.

ANY help or insight into my latest drama appreciated...
Thing is making me crazy!

Thanks in advance... just in case someone responds.
Sword
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Re: Newest issue involving connection

Post by Sword »

Meanwell light shouldn't be blinking. Have you disconnected it from the Acorn and tested for 24v and 5v? Did the Acorn have a heartbeat after debricking? Proper power supply connections to the Acorn confirmed?
Scott
goldriverww

Post by goldriverww »

Thanks Scott...
Yes Acorn had a heartbeat... figured everything was headed in the right direction... then the ethernet dilemma popped up.

Just unplugged the Meanwell (from Acorn)... checked voltage OUT reading around 29v... and the LED continues to blink.

Almost hate to ask... where would I be looking for the 5v reading you referenced?
Nothing else has ever been plugged into this, so I'm not seeing how it could've fried accidentally.
kb58

Post by kb58 »

If that's a 24V Meanwell supply, it's blinking because its output is "bad" in some way. Probably best to replace it because if it isn't in control, it could go higher and fry your board. If you're referring to the 5V generated on the board, it can be found connector H10, pin 10 (it's the connector with the white cable going to the relay board).
Last edited by kb58 on Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Previous hobby, building hard core sports cars. See http://midlana.com/ and http://kimini.com/
centroid467
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC12: No

Post by centroid467 »

Blinking light on a Meanwell supply can mean different things but none are good. I've personally only seen the light off for several seconds then turn back on for a fraction of a second before going back off. That was overcurrent protection kicking in when there was a short circuit on the board under test.

After seeing the new posts:
29V is rather high for the Acorn supply... Was this measurement with no load besides the voltmeter? What type of voltmeter was used for this? The RD-35B model has an adjustment pot. If you trust your voltage measurement then try using that adjustment pot to bring it back closer to 24. I am curious if the (unused) 5V output channel on the Meanwell is high as well.

Edit: If you can't get it to stay around 24 volts then I would replace it immediately.
goldriverww

Post by goldriverww »

Answers...
Milwaukee Auto Voltage Tester
NO LOAD tested
Output "fluctuates" from 24.6 v to 30v... strange.
On Meanwell supply 5v channel reads 4.8v to 6v (fluctuates as well)
(H10 pin #10) on Acorn reads 4.9v pretty consistently.

I appreciate the input(s)... but this is where us neophytes often go off the rails...
I'm seeing suggestions from REPLACE it to adjusting pot... which I have no idea where that may be.
Guess that would entail removing the Meanwell and tearing into THAT... (unless it's the small nylon adjustment screw located on the lower end.) Guess I need more research... again.
I'm supposed to be "assembling"... and I'm in a constant state of DIS-assembly... wassup?

Just ran a search (on Forum) for "RD-35B model pot adjustment" and all that popped up was this thread...
Why am I not surprised?
goldriverww

Post by goldriverww »

Centroid467...
Thanks...
"Replace it immediately" and what does that entail?
Order/Purchase one from Centroid? I'm pretty sure Amazon or the 7-11 on the corner hasn't got one in stock.
Timeframe to receive?

Problem I'm having at this point is that old "rabbit hole" I was trying to avoid by opting for American product over replacing the original NcStudio/Weihong controller is becoming an even bigger rabbit hole.

I replace the Meanwell... but what if it has compromised the board?
I'm losing faith... in all honesty, if it wasn't for my freakin' Midwestern German stubbornness... I'd box this thing up & drop it in the dumpster before it drives me totally out of my mind!
kb58

Post by kb58 »

You say that both supplies are varying - this is very strange and suggests a possible issue with your meter. Can you try measuring some voltage that's a known, like a battery, to confirm that it's working? Can you *safely* confirm that both supplies are getting a stable supply voltage (from the wall?)

There is a small screw sunk into the panel for voltage adjustment and says "+V ADJ". I don't recommend messing with that if in fact the output voltage is varying and the LED is blinking. Said another way, the power supply has bigger problems. Oh, and make sure the ground lead of your meter is right on the power supply, not located somewhere else through a bunch of connections.
Previous hobby, building hard core sports cars. See http://midlana.com/ and http://kimini.com/
centroid467
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC12: No

Post by centroid467 »

Sorry for giving unclear instructions. I'll explain what I meant but you did the main thing I asked and now we know that power supply is malfunctioning and should be replaced. The voltage should not fluctuate that much even with no load.

The nylon adjustment screw in the corner is the potentiometer (pot) I was referring to. Those are usually intended for tweaking the voltage on the primary channel which would be the 5V output for the RD-35B model we ship with Acorn. Without going into the nitty gritty details of switching converter topologies, the regulation of the second channel follows the first so that adjustment potentiometer can be used to bring the second channel to 24V. That adjustment will not fix this problem because the output is fluctuating rather than a simple offset.

Replace it immediately means stop using it until you have a functioning replacement supply. Any good quality power supply with 24V and at least 1A output should work if you cannot get another Meanwell RD-35B. Amazon link, Digi-Key link. Please reach out to Centroid Support email for warranty replacement.

kb58, the meter has low input impedance so the reading could very well be off if the source impedance is close. The stability of the reading of the regulated 5V on the Acorn itself seems to me like evidence that the meter is working right.
goldriverww

Post by goldriverww »

centroid467 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:29 pm Replace it immediately means stop using it until you have a functioning replacement supply. Any good quality power supply with 24V and at least 1A output should work if you cannot get another Meanwell RD-35B. Amazon link, Digi-Key link.
So my trip down the monetary rabbit hole continues?
I'm going to toss another $25 and the time needed into getting the system, which is brand new... up & running (possibly)?
BTW... you suggest buying A NEW Meanwell RD-35B... but the Amazon link shows a RD-35A... guess I'll "assume" again there's no difference... the other link indicates a 14 week delivery time...
Man... I gotta stop the bleeding at some point.
Last edited by goldriverww on Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.