CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Attaching/affixing Acorn components in a cabinet

Post by goldriverww »

Me again...
Okay, I'm "in it to win it" with the Acorn Controller.
Gone thru the downloading CNC 12 and bench tested the system for the "heartbeat" etc.
Ready to start assembling the pieces/components, however having learned over the years, it's better to ASK a question than figure out where you screwed up later... I'll start simple with question asking to confirm my assumption that the controller board/card can be attached/affixed to the sheet metal wall in my existing cabinet on the 4 x 8 3-spindle monstrosity I was addressing earlier this month.
The new "kit" came with a few components I hadn't seen in the literature... Plexi-plate, screws and threaded extensions for example, where I can't find any indication of where or how to use them.
I can assume, and probably conclude on their use... but I'd rather verify.
As mentioned, this is a replacement for the NcStudios junk system in an "experienced" CNC Router.
I'm certain I'll have more questions shortly... but I'm at the start point currently and want to get started on the right foot.
In the absence of any conclusive instruction on attaching the components, would it be wise to install/attach using screws thru spacers to provide an airgap under/behind the board?
I'm assuming the small screws and extensions are for the installation of the plexi shield over the board?
The attached pic is what I have currently... the power source and BOB is obviously going away... the control card was located in the old XP Pro desktop and fed into the BOB via the 25-pin serial port cable (in the pic).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nwpWh1ZJpWhsQ65FA

Next step will OBVIOUSLY be to attempt making heads or tails out of the schematics and back tracing the wires (already done) and deciding where they belong on the Acorn board... there are 3 axis servo outputs: x=1, y=2 (slaved), z=1 connections
Any help noodling out those connection would be appreciated as well... but attaching the components to the cabinet correctly is a great place to start!
Thanks in advance...
Attachments
20230917_115549.jpg
goldriverww
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Re: Attaching/affixing Acorn components in a cabinet

Post by goldriverww »

Any info appreciated...
Have 3 axis (with 4 servo drives- 2 for Y axis slaved)...
Guess it would help to mention they are Delta ASDA-B2... and I've cross referenced with the schematic S15102.dwg and I'm doing a lot of head scratching because the sheet illustrates 3 leads into the terminals and a 4th heading off into?
Obviously, I'm not savvy enough to determine which color lead goes where... so clue a brutha in, please (if possible)
There's 4 leads yellow, blue, red, green... any suggestions as to where they plug into the Acorn board appreciated.
The bottom pic illustrated the existing BOB (NcStudio)
Attachments
thumbnail_20231001_123854.jpg
NcStudio BOB existing.jpg
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

You old board is labeled with pulse and direction and positive and negative for the 4 colors you mentioned. Just transfer those to Acorn. And yes, mount the Acorn to a metal backplane with standoffs. Do the same for the relay board. The drive/alarm reset runs through the relay board to send a reset signal to the driver if it ever faults. Everything you need is on that schematic.
goldriverww

Post by goldriverww »

Thank you ShawnM
goldriverww

Post by goldriverww »

Call me "dense"... but I simply want to clarify... ShawnM...

The 4 colored {Y.B.G.R} leads leading TO the servos are to be "plugged into" the Acorn board... however according to the schematic (and the board) there are only 4 terminals available (per axis) and the COM slot is empty... so I guess my question is: which 3 leads plug into the ACORN board spots: ST1, DR1, EN1... and does the 4th lead plug into COM or bypass the board entirely? (which, of course would make lengthening that wire necessary).
Trying to think ahead... I'm not a "plug it in & see what happens" kinda guy! :D
Thanks again to ShawnM or anyone else who can toss in their expertise!
Rest assured, once I get the axis drives figgered out... I'll be asking about the spindle hookup(s) and where they plug into the relay board...
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

If you look at the pic you posted of the CN1 connector you removed from the drive you'll see blue is pin 43, yellow is pin 41, green is pin 39 and red is pin 37. Theses are the step and direction wires going to the drive. From what I can tell those are the only wires on CN1 so they never wired up the reset or the enable lines to the drive. Meaning the drive is enabled by default in programming and for drive reset, the only way to clear a fault is to power cycle the drive since there seems to be no input for reset either. You'll have to look at the drive programming for the digital inputs to see what they did. To wire it correctly per the Acorn schematic you'll need to add some wires to the CN1 connector and edit the drive programming.

To recap pin 41, the yellow wire, goes to ST1. Pin 37, the red wire, goes to DR1. Your blue and green wires probably have +24v supplied to them from that breakout board. You'll have to check. According to the drive diagram the 24 volts can be supplied from pin 17 of the drive but they seem to have it wired in a rather unconventional way.

If you look at the drive manual it states "Should an "Open Collector" type of pulse be used this terminal must be connected to an external power supply to be pulled high." They are referring to pin 35 which you currently have no wire on the CN1 connector. The Acorn headers are "open collector".

Cross reference the drive manual and the Acorn schematic you are using for wiring, S15102.
centroid467
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC12: No

Post by centroid467 »

The clear plate does indeed mount over the ACORN using the provided hardware and will give convenient labels for the various ports.
goldriverww

Post by goldriverww »

Thanks again Shawn...
You da man!
I'm headed out to follow up... and as you suggested, THEY (NcStudio/Weihong) had an "unconventional" way of doing everything... including their so called "tech support" ("you controller broke... buy new version")... which is why I decided to toss that crap into the shitcan and make the monetary & mental "investment" in Acorn/Centroid.
You folks on the FORUM are great in helping out!

I'm trying desperately to "not get out over my skis" on this... I don't have the manual or wiring diagram for the drives. I'll try to find something online.
As far as "adding wires" to the plug... guess that may be simpler than it sounds (hopefully).
goldriverww

Post by goldriverww »

So... essentially I need to attach a lead to pin 35 and run it to +24V connection? (H9)
Well... actually 4 leads from 4 drives... all tying into H9? Will that fly? CORRECTION: H4 block

Also... found the Delta Drive manual... Chapter 3 pg. 58 the info suggests Diagrams C3/C4 which indicate one option using a 5v max. rather than 24v

I'm guessing the Acorn application (being 24v) will not be an issue?
centroid467
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC12: No

Post by centroid467 »

It looks to me like C4-1 and C4-2 apply to the High Speed Pulse inputs which are not compatible with the open collector outputs on ACORN. Use the regular pulse inputs (35, 37, 41) as shown in C3-1 or C3-2. C3-2 is how you would wire for using the ACORN or other external 24V supply. C3-1 depicts using the Delta drive's internal 24V supply for the pull up.