AcornSix - Lathe Retrofit (DC Servo Motors)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

andrecn
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

AcornSix - Lathe Retrofit (DC Servo Motors)

Post by andrecn »

Hello everyone,

I'm currently finishing a 3 axis mill retrofit with the ALLIN1DC controller and for now, quite happy with the results. The reason I went on that route was because one of the drivers was damage. I still manage to use the original spindle driver.

I'm looking to do the same to a small slant bed lathe, but this time, the machine is in operating conditions, with no faults, just an old 90's interface. Since the mill is working with Centroid, why not the lathe as well.

That is why I'm posting on this board, the AcornSix has a few features that could make it work. The X and Y axis are driven by tachogenerator DC motors with +/-10v input at the driver. The same happens with the spindle driver, it is also a DC motor and driver also expects +/-10v. Will the AcornSix enable me to use the original drivers with 3 analogue +/-10v outputs? I could then use some feedback with encoders at the ballscrew just like the original machine was design.

Can you please let me know if AcornSix can be programmed to enable such features?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers
centroid467
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: AcornSix - Lathe Retrofit (DC Servo Motors)

Post by centroid467 »

Hello André,

ACORN6 is step and direction / quadrature output only. If the drives only take analog +/- 10V then our OAK controller would be your best bet. What make and model drives are used in this system? Pay attention to the disclaimer at the top of this page as we only officially support certain models for OAK. Others may chime in with their experience using other drives.
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: AcornSix - Lathe Retrofit (DC Servo Motors)

Post by cnckeith »

make model of the small slant bed lathe and photos please.
what size/rating of the existing DC servos? use Allin1DC with encoder upgrade if they are not too big for allin1dc.
otherwise install new motors and drives and use Hickory or Acorn.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html