Trouble setting up my Huanyang Inverter <resolved, reset to factory and enter parameters>

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

Gamby
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Trouble setting up my Huanyang Inverter

Post by Gamby »

As suggested, I ran the VFD with a 9v battery and was able to jumper forward and reverse to run the spindle. The speed seemed relative to toggling it through the Centroid software. When running in manual mode through the software I am able to turn the spindle on and off in both directions. I am not able to control the speed at all. In both cases both through Centroid and with the 9v battery the speed is only a fraction of the 24,000rpm the spindle is rated at. When running the spindle from the drive I am able to achieve full speed on the spindle.

I believe that I have a problem with both the setup of the VFD and/or the wizard settings in Centroid.
Since I am not getting full speed when using the 9v battery I believe that I need to change something in the VFD settings.
Since I have no speed control I am wondering if I have a problem in my wizard settings. I tried inputting the max spindle speed of 24,000 in the wizard but that did not change anything.

I am using the wiring diagram that Keith posted. I have confirmed that my wiring is correct per the print. I have also confirmed that the inputs and outputs are correctly defined as shown on the print. I have gone through the VFD settings based on the manual and how others have set their VFD's(As posted by others online).

I am not sure if the PD144 setting is correct on the VFD. All of the posted setting I have found online for the VFD show using 3,000 and one post went so fare as to note that 3,000 is the correct setting for a 24,000rpm spindle. Is this correct? Should I bump this to 24,000?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I try to figure this out.
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Please post a screen shot of your current spindle settings in the wizard so we can see them. The only one you want to change is the "spindle max speed in high range" and you start with 24000. You can adjust this later for more accurate spindle speeds. Another topic for another day.

Just to point something out, the manual you linked to does not list your model number on your VFD. So it's the wrong manual or you have a Haunyang clone. Not having the correct manual you could be changing the wrong parameters and not even know it. Since you are not getting full speed (or close to it) with the 9v battery then you certainly have some of the VFD setting incorrect.

Reset the VFD to factory settings first and then try these settings, don't change any other setting away from the factory settings.

PD001 = 1
PD002 = 1
PD003 = 400
PD004 = 400
PD005 = 400
PD006 = 3.0
PD008 = 110
PD009 = 7.5
PD010 = 4
PD011 = 100
PD070 = 0
PD072 = 400
PD141 = 110
PD142 = 8.5
PD143 = 2
PD144 = 3000

If this works then you can go in a and adjust the accel and decel times (PD014 and PD015). You had 12 seconds which is an eternity for a ramp speed on a spindle. You'll want to adjust this as low as possible without faulting the VFD. 5 is closer to where you want to be on accel and decel times. You can go even lower but you'll need a braking resistor and I don't know if you have the input for that on that VFD.

Again, reset the VFD to factory setting and try the ones listed above.
Ken Rychlik
CNC Control System Serial Number: 80F5B5B92C3A-0213236854

Post by Ken Rychlik »

Your test results show you are correct that you have a vfd issue. Forget about acorn and fix the vfd part. Getting the correct manual as Shawn said is vital. If you bought it new, you should have a paper manual.
Ken
Gamby
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by Gamby »

Sorry for the delay in following up; my day job has been getting in the way.

I reset the drive and set the parameters as Shawn suggested. The spindle is working perfectly!

Thank you very much for the help!
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Gamby wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:43 pm Sorry for the delay in following up; my day job has been getting in the way.

I reset the drive and set the parameters as Shawn suggested. The spindle is working perfectly!

Thank you very much for the help!
That's great news and glad to hear it's working now.