Techno-Isel CPM 3020 router retrofit Limit, E-Stop & Stepper Wiring

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

762x51
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: B0D5CC56DD75-0605170063 , 985DAD4295CF-0928170127 , 38D2694E4703-1222170401
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Techno-Isel CPM 3020 router retrofit Limit, E-Stop & Stepper Wiring

Post by 762x51 »

I'm will be retrofitting a Techno-Isel CMP 3020 router with an Acorn and need to monitor 6 limit switches.
Is the wiring shown in the attached drawing OK?

Also, can the RL2 relay output be programmed to start/stop the router motor?

Like others, I look forward to seeing the ACORN's manual and I hope questions like this will be answered in the manual.

Thanks,
Orin

Last edited by 762x51 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Limit and E-Stop Wiring

Post by cnckeith »

Orin,
Hello. Check out the Acorn Hookup Schematics located here..
http://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_diy ... matics.zip

the standard connections schematic #14826 shows how to wire up the limit switches.

Wire the limit switches that you want the machine to home off of in the following Inputs, 1,2,3 (X, Y, Z) respectively.

then you can wire the opposite side limit switches in series to Save Inputs! otherwise you will be using up all your inputs for individual switches.

i also recommend that you setup software travel limits. this is simply the distance that each axis can move from the home position. this will stop the machine from hitting any limit switches under normal operation. and the software will let you know if a g code program fits in the work envelope based on the part zero position set. a nice feature.

and yes..you'll see the Acorn CNC wizard you can choose the function of all the inputs and outputs on the board with drop down boxes..so its easy to customize the function of an input or output..so yes you can make rly 2 turn on the router motor.. -Keith
Attachments
S14826-S14826-ACORN STANDARD CONNECTIONS.pdf
(71.03 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
762x51
CNC Control System Serial Number: B0D5CC56DD75-0605170063 , 985DAD4295CF-0928170127 , 38D2694E4703-1222170401

Post by 762x51 »

Hi Keith,

I had looked at the wiring diagrams but knew for this simple router that I didn't need a lot of inputs other than the limit switches and E-stop. I wanted to keep all of the limit switches as isolated inputs and not wire some of them in series.

I want to use the router as a learning tool for the Acorn and I have 2 other applications and if I like the results I get from this then I'll be buying more Acorns.

I'm familiar with MACH3 setup and wondered if Acorn's I/O is configurable kind of like MACH3.

Orin
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

no problem..you can use up inputs for the other switches.. just trying save you some free inputs! -K
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
martyscncgarage
CNC12: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

762x51 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:30 pm I'm will be retrofitting a Techno-Isel CMP 3020 router with an Acorn and need to monitor 6 limit switches.
Is the wiring shown in the attached drawing OK?

Also, can the RL2 relay output be programmed to start/stop the router motor?

Like others, I look forward to seeing the ACORN's manual and I hope questions like this will be answered in the manual.

Thanks,
Orin

Another option is to only monitor each axis home switch and then properly setup the software travel limits. CNC12 won't let you go past the software limit. The only caveat is that if your stepper stalls and looses steps, and you end up at the end of the travel, you could fall short of the actual travel and CNC12 stops the axis OR you could overshoot and the machine hit a hard stop. On stepper driven machines, in most cases this isn't catastrophic.

If you are running hybrid steppers with encoders, (or servos in the case of Teknic Clearpath SDSK, DMM Technology etc.) where the loop is closed by the driver, then this would work well.

My Dyna DM2400 test machine only has limit switches at the home end of each axis, and the D&M4 has no limit switches at all. On the D&M4, I jog the machine to marks on each axis, set home and the CNC software takes care of travel limits from there.

So you see the software is very flexible given a particular application. In the case of limits, it can help conserve inputs. If you don't need the other inputs, then by all means use one for each limit

As far as a manual. There are many wiring diagrams available, it is hoped that between them and this forum, users will find all they need to know. Acorn itself is a pretty simple device as far as inputs and outputs go. It was intended that way. It is NEW so it will go through some growing pains initially, we can all help make it better by sharing our experiences,

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
762x51

Post by 762x51 »

Hi Marty,

Thanks for the video you made on how to set up the Acorn - It was VERY helpful and answered a number of questions that I had.

Initially I'm going to set the system up and have it monitor each limit due to the existing wiring layout. To breakout the limit switches would require tearing down the router and would be a real PITA to separate the limit switches common. I'm sure I'll do this later but right now I'm going to leave the existing wiring as-is so I can get the router up and running.

This is going to be my "learning tool" and I'll change it over to your and Keith's suggestion at a later date.

Orin
martyscncgarage

762x51 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:48 pm Hi Marty,

Thanks for the video you made on how to set up the Acorn - It was VERY helpful and answered a number of questions that I had.

Initially I'm going to set the system up and have it monitor each limit due to the existing wiring layout. To breakout the limit switches would require tearing down the router and would be a real PITA to separate the limit switches common. I'm sure I'll do this later but right now I'm going to leave the existing wiring as-is so I can get the router up and running.

This is going to be my "learning tool" and I'll change it over to your and Keith's suggestion at a later date.

Orin
Hi Orin,
I would imagine each limit switch wiring lead comes back to your control cabinet? Could you shoot a couple pictures and upload them?
If you have enough inputs, by all means roll with it.

DO take a few pictures once its up and running and show it off here!

Marty
Mesa, AZ
flyeribe
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by flyeribe »

Thats how those limit switches are to be wired up on the Acorn I'm using a single wire input switch and been waiting for some others will the same setup.
So maybe a little back ground so no one gets mixed up here system consist of a poxomity switch mount center of each axes with a trigger block just before hard stop at each end so in the software whats the correct way to do setup, can't input a number limit -1 and +2 for x axes only have one switch.

Luke
martyscncgarage

Orin,
Your wiring schematic looks good and appears to match the example found in the wiring diagram S14826 Acorn standard connections.DWG
http://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_diy ... matics.zip

Make sure you do the bench test first! That will establish communications from the PC to ACORN. Post and Video forthcoming!

Once your limit switches are connected, and you've configured Acorn with the Wizard, go into the diagnositc page. Hit ALT-I to toggle it on and off. The box should start in the upper left corner of the display. That is input 1. (Look in about the middle of the page for description of the input or output your box is around) manually trip the limit switch and watch the diagnostic screen. It should toggle from its normal state of green to red when tripped.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
762x51

Re: Techno-Isel CMP 3020 router retrofit Limit, E-Stop & Stepper Wiring

Post by 762x51 »

Attached is my final drawing of the axis wiring diagram. If anyone sees an error then please let me know.
All axis have both a +/- limit switch so I'm wiring them as shown until I have time to breakout the limit switches common and then I'll only use 3 of the inputs for the home limits and series the other ones with the e-stop switch.

Once I receive the Acorn I'll start the retrofit and post photos as the project takes shape.

Thanks for your comments which have helped me get this going.

Orin
Attachments
AXIS WIRING.pdf
(18.25 KiB) Downloaded 205 times