Copy machine config to another computer for offline programming?

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

Bham-Tech-RM
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0326130718
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Copy machine config to another computer for offline programming?

Post by Bham-Tech-RM »

Pretty sure this isn't the right board for this question, but nowhere else seemed more reasonable... Mods are invited to move it wherever is most appropriate.

My students will be using the demo version of intercon for programming homework. I am aware that they will be limited to 20 intercon units - it's a perfect opportunity to introduce subprogram calls for sequencing.

Ideally, they'd be able to load a copied configuration file into their offline instances of intercon at home, so that it would match the machines they'll actually be running.

Second question: is there any way to coax the offline version into graphing the toolpaths accurately?

Third question: how about moving tool libraries between online and offline versions? Anything to smooth the jump between programming homework to making chips during lab time.

Thanks for the help.
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Copy machine config to another computer for offline programming?

Post by cnckeith »

Bham-Tech-RM wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:16 pm Pretty sure this isn't the right board for this question, but nowhere else seemed more reasonable... Mods are invited to move it wherever is most appropriate.

My students will be using the demo version of intercon for programming homework. I am aware that they will be limited to 20 intercon units - it's a perfect opportunity to introduce subprogram calls for sequencing.

Ideally, they'd be able to load a copied configuration file into their offline instances of intercon at home, so that it would match the machines they'll actually be running.

Second question: is there any way to coax the offline version into graphing the toolpaths accurately? < what do you mean by this? >

Third question: how about moving tool libraries between online and offline versions? < see the operator manual on page. starting on page 431. for a glossary of files and what they are. you will find:
cncm.ol is the offset library, cncm.tl is the tool library. simply copy those files from the CNC control computer to the offline computer. (put them in the same folder) >

Anything to smooth the jump between programming homework to making chips during lab time.

Thanks for the help.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

and we would be happy to provide you with some student Offline USB keylocks at no charge, you just pay for shipping. PM me
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Bham-Tech-RM

Post by Bham-Tech-RM »

Hi Keith, sorry for the delayed reply... got sidetracked.

I generated a report off of one our machines, then loaded that as a backup on an offline machine. That resulted in the interfaces matching, but we lost some critical functionality along the way.

Immediately after installing, programming and graphing all worked great, but the machine configuration didn't match (5 axis). There were also more functions enabled than we actually have, which seems cool, but will only cause confusion for students.

With the Restore Report loaded, Centroid/Intercon matches our machines, but graphing is absent from the main screen, and it won't graph from Intercon, complaining that the machine needs to be homed.

Tool libraries did transfer, and it seems like I'm in the right direction, but need something slightly different to keep us in "demo" for graphing.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Be sure to home the "source" machine before you take a report and transfer it to the offline computer. That way the resulting cncm.job.xml will indicate that home has been set.
Bham-Tech-RM

Post by Bham-Tech-RM »

cncsnw wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:35 pm Be sure to home the "source" machine before you take a report and transfer it to the offline computer. That way the resulting cncm.job.xml will indicate that home has been set.
AHAHA it's that simple? I'll capture the report and try it at home tonight! Thanks.