Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Bottom of Virtual Control Panel Missing

Post by ShawnM »

The files you can copy over are for your tool library or offset library, any custom home programs or macros you created or WCS positions. The files names are in the install and update instructions.

You always have to key in the revs/inch, and backlash when upgrading form a DIFFERENT version. This is what the screenshots are for, to preserve that data for you.

As for your screw comp numbers, you can find them in the most recent .txt file in your report. When I look at them in your report, screw comp is not enabled for any axis and the values are all zero.

As noted earlier, start with a new, fresh install of CNC12 and DO NOT restore any OLD report as it will only corrupt your software.
RGSparber
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269533454-0111180523

Post by RGSparber »

I am guessing that the zero values for screw comp are part of the problem with using an old report. That data looked ok when viewed from inside the program.

For my needs, I think it best for me to return to my old version of CNC12. I am happy with it. I wasn't running into any bugs that might be fixed with this new version.

Thanks to all for your help. You saved me a LOT of frustration.

Rick
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

That's certainly your prerogative but the "bugs" you refer to came about when you restored a 4.80 report to version 5.06 which is not allowed. You're not the first to do this nor will you be the last. :D

I looked through your report that you first posted and there are 8 backups in that report dating back to 12/17/21 and none of them have any screw comp numbers or have screw comp enabled.

My advice is to do a fresh install of 5.06 and manually enter your parameters from your 4.80 report. There's no support for old versions so if you run into issues with 4.80 you're on your own unless you pay for support.

Good luck
RGSparber
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269533454-0111180523

Post by RGSparber »

ShawnM,

The bugs I was referring to were the unknown bugs in 4.80. All software has bugs. I only ran into one - the display would sometimes randomly jump from WCS #1 to MACH. Using G54 would not move me back.

I'm surprised that those reports didn't show screw comp active. I've been using it for years. Over the last year, I replaced my X and Y lead screws with rolled ball screws and just finished debugging and calibrating the X-axis. Under no-load conditions using class B gage blocks, I measured position error of +/- 4 tenths from 0 to 10 inches. I used the same setup of blocks for calibration and testing so realize this is not absolute position but really repeatability. Uncompensated X backlash was 1.35 thou. I was just starting on the Y-axis.

You give a compelling reason to move forward to 5.06. It will be painful given the large number of entries in my X, Y, and Z screw mapping tables. However, it will be more painful when I get in trouble and I don't have this forum to help me.

Thanks,

Rick
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

rick,
screw comp tables are an simple copy paste of the screw comp files for each axis from the old cncm directory to the new one. you don't have to hand enter them.

same with tool library, wcs tables, return points, vcp button folder, macros, etc..

the only thing you have to 'hand enter' when going from v4.80 to v5.x is the settings in the Wizard which takes about 5 minutes and any custom VCP skin lines.

custom VCP's can easily be ported over from v4.80 by simply editing the stock v5.xx skin with notepad ++ with the exact same customizations used in your custom v4.80 skin. the new VCP has new features so that is why you can't just copy the entire VCP folder or use restore report which does exactly that. (restore report is intended only for use with the same version that the report was create it anyways)

i made a video about this.

i also made a video about installing a new version of cnc12, general discussion with guidance.

Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html