Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

gcode and the Offset/Tool Library

Post by Caesar »

Over the past year my mill project has moved forward and the mill can actually cut metal and break tools. Good or bad, whatever I tell it to do, it does. Over the past month, or so, I have used the MDI function for movement control. In the past week I have been writing and running short gcode programs. I need to make some parts to finish this mill project. In anticipation of making the needed parts, I have entered several tools into the offset/tool library. Now what? Browsing the manual(s) and looking for videos has not answered my questions.

I need some tutoring; be it explanation, documentation, or suggesting a video. How does the Tool Library interface with gcode? Let’s take one scenario: Drilling a pilot hole. In the gcode a M06 command is issued to mount the tool (ex: T02). The library contains offset, diameter, rotation speed/direction data for the specified tool. How are these Tool Library data points (offset, diameter, etc.) incorporated into the gcode? Do I still need to issue a M03 or M04 command to start rotation? An “S” attribute to set RPM?

Thanks for taking time to read this.