cant connect to controller, been working on it all day (Resolved)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

rob murphy
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

cant connect to controller, been working on it all day (Resolved)

Post by rob murphy »

updates all done ,firewalls off , clock settings changed, im running in admin mode, heartbeat running , watched the centroid videos , watched martys videos , and still nothing.. Theres something im overlooking .. A few ideas i had .. One is that im running the PC on wifi , 2 is that for whatever reason i couldnt open the acer driver page on that computer , unsure why .. so I guess it could be an outdated driver on the ethernet connection? any other ideas ? Whats really odd is that the pc doesnt notify me of a new device whether or not i unplug the ethernet cable.
rob murphy

Re: cant connect to controller, been working on it all day

Post by rob murphy »

in the commands , it says " destination host unreachable ".. So something is up with Ip settings
lavrgs
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC12: Yes

Post by lavrgs »

You need to have the IP address of the Ethernet port (IPV4) set to 10.168.41.1 so the acorn can talk to the pc
The Acorn IP is 10.168.41.2
Read below - To be able to help you need to provide some basic info...like a report
https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Does the PC meet the minimum requirements? Check the network address as well for your ethernet port as noted already. Unplug the Wi-Fi or disconnect the PC from the internet while you do this. You do not need internet to connect to the Acorn. You are only creating more problems with this. Set it up after the pc can communicate with the Acorn. This is not a laptop is it?

I wont ask for a report because I know you cannot provide one because you cannot even connect to the Acorn to create one. :mrgreen:
rob murphy

Post by rob murphy »

ShawnM wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:01 pm Does the PC meet the minimum requirements? Check the network address as well for your ethernet port as noted already. Unplug the Wi-Fi or disconnect the PC from the internet while you do this. You do not need internet to connect to the Acorn. You are only creating more problems with this. Set it up after the pc can communicate with the Acorn. This is not a laptop is it?

I wont ask for a report because I know you cannot provide one because you cannot even connect to the Acorn to create one. :mrgreen:
exactly , id have to open acorn to provide a report.. its a desktop , ive been working on the IP issues , its definatley the reason. the pc is a desktop , meets all the requirements, when i tried to change the IP address on ipv4 , its saying the IP address is already taken by a network adapter ( one im not familiar with
I will try disconnecting internet , this should simplify the confusion with the port ip adresses , thanks.
rob murphy

Post by rob murphy »

well , i got it sorted out .. I assigned some random IP address to the wireless adapter, therefore freeing up the neccessary IP for the ethernet .. Now to get through the rest of the setup , thanks for the help
eng199
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by eng199 »

rob murphy wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:15 pm well , i got it sorted out .. I assigned some random IP address to the wireless adapter, therefore freeing up the neccessary IP for the ethernet .. Now to get through the rest of the setup , thanks for the help
Your connection to the internet should normally be set to DHCP. This typically gives it a 192.168.0.xxx address. Set the wireless adapter to DHCP (get IP address automatically). The wireless adapter should not be assigned to the same network as ACORN (10.168.41.xxx).

You can run "ipconfig /all" from the command prompt and post the output here if you need more help on the IP settings.
martyscncgarage
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: cant connect to controller, been working on it all day (Resolved)

Post by martyscncgarage »

I know you have it resolved.
But the Acorn knowledge base has a lot of good information.
This video is one of them:
https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1451

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Dave_C

Re: cant connect to controller, been working on it all day (Resolved)

Post by Dave_C »

Just and FYI:

I've had my Acorn setup up and running faultlessly for years but I went to make a part yesterday and the Acorn would not connect!

I had done nothing to the computer but let windows do upgrades as needed or requested.

What I have learned is that windows updates can and did change my Ethernet settings from the static settings to DHCP and Acorn would not connect.

All I had to do was manually put the Static IP stuff back in and Acorn was happy again. I was able to make my part and all is well.

I have two machines with identical computers. One got changed by updates, the other did not. Go figure!

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.