Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

First Production Parts!

Post by DocsMachine »

Several years ago, I started a conversion of an old Logan lathe, over to CNC. What I really needed was a proper production machine, a typical GT-27 style, but I can't yet afford such a thing. So I slowly converted this Logan (one of two lathes I had at the time, and set up as a turret when I started) first starting with Mach 3 simply due to cost, and later moving to the Acorn as I wanted, among other things, the conversational programming.

I'd hoped to have this running quite a while ago, but a good many things, like customer work, lack of funds, 2020 in general, etc.- kept me from doing much with it for many long stretches of time.

Anyway, while it's been a long row to hoe, she's finally up and running, and able to produce (with help :D ) short-run production parts.

I am, at the moment, at least two generations behind on the software. Don't care, though, as for the moment it works, and right now, it's more important to me to be making parts than be worried about whether I have the shiniest new buttons or the best support for PLCs or something. :)

I have a thread on here somewhere, from several years ago, detailing some of the build, if you're curious. The general specs are a '56 Logan 925, 11" and we think it was originally a turret lathe. Cabinet model, Baldor 2HP 3-phase with an AD VFD connected to the Acorn through one of the add-on boards. First-gen Acorn, and steppers I can't recall the name of, but are hybrids with encoders. (Though all the encoders do is feed back to the drivers.)

The hardware is all custom made, mostly eBay stuff, and with a long T slotted table intended for eventual gang-tool use.

Next up, thinking of splurging on a Microdrop or similar, so I don't have to keep schpritzing it with a can of WD-40. :D

Doc.
Upnorth
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1702
CNC12: Yes

Re: First Production Parts!

Post by Upnorth »

Thanks for posting that. Well timed I need the inspiration to get back to making the cnc lathe work.

What sort of repeatability do you get when changing tools? I have a similar tool post.
DocsMachine

Post by DocsMachine »

It's been able to hold around a thou or two so far. Plenty accurate for my work.

Doc.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Nice work Doc!
Post in the Success Stories Forum if you would please.
viewforum.php?f=57
Thanks!
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
DICKEYBIRD
CNC Control System Serial Number: n/a yet

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

Great job Doc; way to go!

I envy your perseverance. Alas, health issues have kept me away from my Acorn projects but I do like to come on the forum & keep up with things from time to time. Great to hear of your success. I know it wasn't as easy as your video implies!

Milton
Milton in Collierville, TN

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."